PDA

View Full Version : New SIGGRAPH Videos Posted

andrew_y
08-28-2007, 02:13 PM
If you weren't able to attend SIGGRAPH this year, we don't want you to miss out. NewTek live switched and recorded our guest presentations at the show using our own VT[4] technology. The first videos are complete and available for viewing here: http://www.newtek.com/sigvideos
New videos will be posted regularly so check back often. BTW, there's a link to a very short survey on the video landing page, we would really appreciate you taking a few seconds to give us some information, it helps us prepare our future product plans.

Nicolas Jordan
08-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks, no wonder it took a while, looks pretty fancy! :) Way nicer quality that what has been posted previous years!

JeffrySG
08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
very cool! can't wait to watch these at home!

cheers!!
Jeff

cagey5
08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Looking very nice...

Phil
08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Much better. Nice job!

SaturnX
08-28-2007, 03:06 PM
.. time for a few beers.
Nice work guys on the site.

scratch33
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeeeaaaaahhhh......

Very cool, thank you.:thumbsup:

cresshead
08-28-2007, 03:38 PM
note when you fill out the form and hit send and then hit the back to the videos...it goes to ''page not found''

not hard to get the vids back but just aheads up on that note.
[using firefox]

darkChief
08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Looks really good:)

KSTAR
08-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Be sure and check out Don Ballances excellent new Lightwave/SpeedEdit demo video located in the LW/SE bundle page :thumbsup:

Great job Don!

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw-se_bundle.php

Wolvy_UK
08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
The link you posted has errors at the foot of the page. ( I' m using Internet Explorer).

This link I found earlier has no errors, but the AMD logo at the bottom goes to the Intel site, so you may want to fix that :)

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2007/index.php

KSTAR
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Hmmm I just tried it and it works fine. If anyone is having errors, you can just go to the Lightwave/SpeedEdit bundle page and the link is at the bottom of the page

Thomas M.
08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Mmmh, actually I'm a bit disappointed. Happy customers, some nice reels, loads of talk about things everybody using LW already knows, but so far no interesting insights in how actually these people work. No tips, tricks, anything. So they are nice to watch and give you a nice feeling, but don't help in getting further on your own way. Sigh!

I don't understand why NT fails to promote itself with interesting videos showing the new functions live. So far there are no real explanations of how things work in action. Protons videos are more than a year old by now. Is it so hard to bring out one video per week by an instructor giving you an insight in what LW is capable of and how other LWers work? This would help everybody and would attract newcomers.

Sorry, but so far NT acts pretty lame in this area. And the docs are another point I don't even want to touch here ...

Cheers
Thomas

Danic101
08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
I think These are meant to be demo videos from mainstage at SIGGRAPH not tutorials. If you want tutorials go buy them from Someone. Doing Tips and Trick mainstage on SIGGRAPH does not sell software.

Captain Obvious
08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh look at that, it's my boss! (Treadway, that is.)

andrew_y
08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey guys, thanx for the comments n stuff. I just wanted to let ya know I've posted 2 more clips, Todd Grimes and Taron. Check 'em out and enjoy.

http://www.newtek.com/sigvideos/

Matt
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
The Taron video would have been much more useful if when he was describing some of his techniques it actually showed THE SCREEN!!! :rolleyes:

Nicolas Jordan
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
The Taron video would have been much more useful if when he was describing some of his techniques it actually showed THE SCREEN!!! :rolleyes:

Taron can't give it all away for free, that's what his tutorial video is for. :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
It's a very exciting way to end the week to see two masters like Taron and Todd. I've been a fan of these two guys for years and I'm glad we got them on stage this year. If you ever wanted to see why people get so excited about modeling in LightWave be sure to watch the 30 minute video of Taron creating an organic head model.

Also be sure to see Todd show off LightWave character animation. Something for everyone in this 20 minute presentation!

Nemoid
08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
hey cool vids would be possible to be able to save them on disk?

archijam
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
firefox extension downloadhelper .. :)

(as suggested to me by .. damn .. someone on this forum tho of course)

You know how great you are, YOU!

j.

Kryos
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Firefox is the only way to go I tell you. No ActiveX bs either, though you can get an extension that'll run activeX stuff, though I don't know why anyone would want that to be honest.

cagey5
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah. Watching Taron do that was amazing. Just all so easy and shows what you can do with a limited [by choice] tool set.

Kryos
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that's true cagey.... kind of made me sick... I wish I could do that. :(

cresshead
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
tarons vid goes really crunchy...down to 5fps...any way to save it?

...okay sorted!...vue infinate was taking up all my memory!

Matt
08-31-2007, 05:42 PM
It's a very exciting way to end the week to see two masters like Taron and Todd. I've been a fan of these two guys for years and I'm glad we got them on stage this year. If you ever wanted to see why people get so excited about modeling in LightWave be sure to watch the 30 minute video of Taron creating an organic head model.

Also be sure to see Todd show off LightWave character animation. Something for everyone in this 20 minute presentation!

And where was Proton, didn't feel the same not having you on stage ;)

John Jordan
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
What's with the variable frame rate in the upper right hand corner?
I couldn't watch any of these--way too choppy. I'll try to download some later to watch offline.
:thumbsdow

IMI
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Sometimes you can do the "view page source" thing and search for an extension like .mov or .swf and find the url of where it's stored, but I couldn't figure it out here.
I agree though, the choppiness ruins it, but if you rewind, it's fine, since it's streaming...slooowly streaming.

cresshead
08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
yeah you have to wait really till the bar fills up..then play it..

download is the proper way though....even with broadband you sometimes get a poor conection to a specific server..esp if it's being 'hit'

Thomas M.
09-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Download with Safari just workes fine. Used fluffy for playback. Excellent!

While Taron's video was o.k. (I guess there's been nothing new we don't do ourselves each day with LW), I was suprised to see Todd presenting the weight maps and Motion mixer. If he would have done this 5 years ago, fine. But nowadays it looks rather sad and I guess every XSI or Maya animator would be highly entertained to see how difficult it is to animate in LW. Nobody so far to present the power of nodes, one of the few strength of LW.

Mmmmh.

cresshead
09-01-2007, 03:04 AM
todd also has 'blend shapes' deep in his delivery vocaburalary [spell?]so i suspect that baryard/neutron is animated in maya but rendered in and maybe modeled lw...and splinegod would have been all over those weightmaps deleting them and say in noooo need!

the whole go back to modelr to make/edit/fix weightmaps is quite 'the age of steam'....nice but not what people expect of today's apps

to use a lightwave analogy...

once you'd made your character and his clothes [modeler] you take him the the film set [layout]
if you find the costume isn't quite right...you get a seamstress ''on set'' to fix it not take the actor back to his trailer.

cresshead
09-01-2007, 03:14 AM
and when they showcase lightwave it would look so much more 'pro' either on a dual monitor setup..so non of the ''back n forth'' between apps [layout/modeler]...or just run lightwave's 2 apps side by side on a apple 30'':thumbsup:

ohh for the day we have both 'in one'...finally!

lardbros
09-01-2007, 03:47 AM
I was sat there during Taron's modelling masterpiece, and his modelling techniques are superb. I definitely dont work in the perspective viewport when im modelling in LW, but will have to try it out now. He some way cool tricks for creating nice poly flows too. Haven't checked out the vid yet, but i hope it shows the screen alot!

hrgiger
09-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, I was disappointed that a majority of the Taron video was spent lookin at Taron and not at the screen.

Thomas M.
09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
True, but after two minutes it's been more than clear how he works anyway.

Thomas M.
09-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Anyway, so far I haven't seen a video which really demonstrates the strength of LW. A video leaving your mouth wide open. Why does nobody shows off the power of the SSS nodes? Or the new GI engine? Or realistic texturing with nodes? No clue. Having happy users in front of the camera is one thing, but show something which impresses the audience another thing.

bluerider
09-01-2007, 11:13 AM
And where was Proton, didn't feel the same not having you on stage ;)

Ah........watch this thread closely. :thumbsup:

Cageman
09-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Anyway, so far I haven't seen a video which really demonstrates the strength of LW. A video leaving your mouth wide open. Why does nobody shows off the power of the SSS nodes? Or the new GI engine? Or realistic texturing with nodes? No clue.

Uhm... isn't Modeling one of the areas where LW is pretty good? SSS-nodes... hmm... still little to slow compared to what MR/RMAN can crank out. LW is quite behind both of them when it comes to quality/time ratio. GI.. well... what would you show? How to dial in the settings? Isn't that what NTs documentation is for? The problem with rendering is that high quality feature film stuff does take hours and hours to render (and trust me, THAT is what people want to see when demoing a renderer). Even if a render takes 5 minutes, the demoguy has to have something to do while it renders. I think both Todd and Taron had some really cool characters that they used (well, Taron created one on the fly) to demo their respective field. It is much more interresting to see pro artists sharing some of their workflow, than have someone demoing features. In the end, all packages have features, the interresting thing is to see how an artist is putting them to use.

I think everyone can see that LWs renderer is very capable; Cityscape, Rythm & Hues and Mark Kochinski all had reels that showed off what LW can do in terms of production rendering. So, it kind of speaks for itself, really.

I think the videos from this Siggraph is way, way better than previous shows.

Cageman
09-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Download with Safari just workes fine. Used fluffy for playback. Excellent!

While Taron's video was o.k. (I guess there's been nothing new we don't do ourselves each day with LW), I was suprised to see Todd presenting the weight maps and Motion mixer. If he would have done this 5 years ago, fine. But nowadays it looks rather sad and I guess every XSI or Maya animator would be highly entertained to see how difficult it is to animate in LW. Nobody so far to present the power of nodes, one of the few strength of LW.

Mmmmh.

I think you missed the point... completely!

Todd and Taron are pro artists, using LW in their pipline. What they showed on stage was how THEY are using LWs tools and why they like using them. I think NT wanted them to go on stage and do their thing. Funny enough, I didn't see Taron use the edge tools at all. He worked with polys and points only...

EDIT: Oh, and yes... I agree about nodes.. they should be shown, but then again... simple objects or complex scenes? I didn't like last years demos where things were too academic, using only simple objects. The exception would be Andy Bishop and the Landrover interior render....

lardbros
09-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Anyway, so far I haven't seen a video which really demonstrates the strength of LW. A video leaving your mouth wide open. Why does nobody shows off the power of the SSS nodes? Or the new GI engine? Or realistic texturing with nodes? No clue. Having happy users in front of the camera is one thing, but show something which impresses the audience another thing.

Gotta say i was SERIOUSLY impressed by Johnny Palchetti's talk. Those real-time graphics look superb. Did i hear him say they had bump mapping displaying though?? Maybe i just mis-heard him? Or maybe it's just in their proprietary software they use to run it?

Nemoid
09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
the Taron vid was cool, but they made see the screen not for the entire show.
he has a gnomon dvd out speaking about his kinda modelling , tho.

i'd definitely like having some Taron dvds explaining his workflow and tricks !!!

however, the vid clearly shows the power of simmetric modelling in Lw, with this and other techniques.(was cool to see he uses no centerline at all especially in early stages)
try doing the same in maya as it is out of the box. (ouch!) hehehehe

I have yet to see the Grimes vid, but i know he's very good in building characters and animation too.

i like all the vids i've seen, actually. they show impressive contents. maybe not a big big show with overwhelming feature demos, but surely a nice one. :thumbsup:

Elmar Moelzer
09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I aggree with lardbros. Johnny Palchettis presentation was really, really cool.
It is quite amazing to see what these guys do.
We once were persuing a simillar approach here too (using LW as a level editor for our 3d- engine), but that was a loong time ago and we kinda discontinued work on it. Still, I really like seeing others doing it with so much success. I hope it makes some people that were saying that LW was not a good choice for game development reconsider.
CU
Elmar

andrew_y
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Several new videos are up today guys!

Don McCoy
G M D THREE
Ron Thornton
Greg Sullivan parts 1, 2 and 3

http://www.newtek.com/sigvideos/

Enjoy!

KSTAR
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Andrew is this the last of the videos, or are there still more to come?

andrew_y
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
There are a few more coming down the pipe I believe. I'm not sure who is in 'em though.

cagey5
09-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Has the Taron one been taken down?

cresshead
09-05-2007, 01:49 AM
seems to be missing..mayeb got overwritten by accident..

cagey5
09-05-2007, 02:03 AM
ahhh poor mayeb, I miss him.

andrew_y
09-05-2007, 04:54 AM
All fixed now, sorry 'bout that.

Matt
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Go Gregg! I learnt some particle stuff in that (unfortunately too short) demo!

Thanks dude!

Matt
09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
The streamers tute is cool too! :)

Hehe, we need to kill that Modeler crash bug when transferring models via the Hub though!

wavk
09-06-2007, 01:33 AM
yeh, crash, crash, crash.. nice.

mlon

Matt
09-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Greg, professional as ever, just carried straight on unfazed though! :D

lardbros
09-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Greg, professional as ever, just carried straight on unfazed though! :D

Ha, yeah, but you really don't want to announce at Siggraaph that the software you're promoting has just crashed whilst doing nothing in particular!

GSullivan
09-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey, thanks for the kind comments Matt. Its hard to tell because of the edit but the particle tutorial immediatly followed the streamer tutorial and so I'd been up there for nearly 45 minutes, thus the shortness of the demonstration.

And yeah, the Modeler crash sucked, phased me for a moment, but I tried to move on and pretend it didn't happen. I'm a little surpised they didn't edit that out.

andrew_y
09-07-2007, 08:45 PM
We edited out the crash =) We have been quite busy on a lot of new things, juggling stuff left and right, and this was so fast it just got overlooked.

BTW, we have a few more videos coming too. Stay tuned. :thumbsup: