PDA

View Full Version : Layout noob questions on rendering

Algae998
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey all,

I finally finished my model and tossed it into Layout, along with a 3d camera solve or my desktop. I keep bashing my head up against the wall on these problems:

1. I see how the camera moves and pivots (from the camera solve), but how to I add the movie clip of what I filmed to Layout's background so I can see whats going on in association with the model?

2. This is going to sound crazy, but...how do I render or export my scene?! I see the render tab and render scene option but once I render it, how do I watch my movie or play it back? Im probably in the complete wrong section for rendering Im guessing.

3. If rendering the scene/image is the correct way....how do I get rid of that annoying beeping sound that has no connection with my speakers volume?!

Haha, Im sure some of you are probably laughing at these questions but Im a complete noob, trying to teach myself along with some help of tutorials:D . I cant find any tutorials (so far) as to how to finalize/render/export the scene as .mov file, .mpg2, .avi, etc..

Any help would be amazing!

Amurrell
08-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Answers to number 2 and 3... Hit render globals under the render tab to bring up the dialogue. At the top of the box you'll want to uncheck "Frame End Beep", that will solve the annoying beeping. In the same box under the output tab check "Save Animation" choose the type, options and set the file name to save your animation.

I'm not sure what the 3d camera solve is that you are talking about. I need a little more info for that one, unless an expert knows something I'm missing. :)

Amurrell
08-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh what the heck... I'll go with this. I'm assuming that you have a movie that you took and want to add it to the BG. You can do that in the image editor (F7) by adding the file there and then place the same image sequence into the backdrop options tab in the textured environment area. Now I don't know why, and hopefully one of these kind people can tell me, (since I'm missing something here) but the image doesn't show up as a BG image for me but renders out fine in sequence like it should.

SplineGod
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
How to render is pretty much covered in the manual.
Once you render a quicktime, avi etc you can play them in windows with the quicktime player or windows media player.

Algae998
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Hah, thanks for all of the quick replies. I figured itd be something simple like that. Yes, the 3d camera solve I was referring to is a 3d motion track. Im doing a test just to experiment, so I filmed my desktop, motion tracker, camera solved and exported as a lightwave file so I could open the camera's path in Layout. Hitting F7 is the answer I was looking for, just so I can have the movie clip playing in the BG so I can properly navigate my model.
Thanks for all of the responses!

Algae998
08-29-2007, 02:18 AM
I added my movie clip to the image editor, selected frame in and out for what I used for tracking and also added the movie to the backdrop options. Im on v9 so my setup is a little bit different. The only problem is that once I get that setup and move a frame or jump ahead on the timeline, the BG movie clip dissappears and goes black. I figured at first it was just struggling to refresh the movie clip with the animation but when I rendered my scene, all I got was my model on black BG. Is the BG strictly for model key frame interaction and not rendered with the model, or should it not be disappearing like that?
Any insight? Im kinda lost hahaha :)

toby
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Maybe switch to the Classic camera? Does the Perspective camera not see the background?

Amurrell
08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
The problems I have in seeing the BG animation happens with both classic and prespective cameras. Like I said, I must be missing something. Algae998 got further than I did.

*Pete*
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Now I don't know why, and hopefully one of these kind people can tell me, (since I'm missing something here) but the image doesn't show up as a BG image for me but renders out fine in sequence like it should.

did you press "d" for display options and changed the camera view backround to backround image?

toby
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh yea, this is an old one. Check the video in the image editor. It defaults to Alpha 'on' (at least it used to), if your video has no alpha it assumes 0 and reveals nothing. Switch it to Alpha 'off'.

Algae998
08-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh yea, this is an old one. Check the video in the image editor. It defaults to Alpha 'on' (at least it used to), if your video has no alpha it assumes 0 and reveals nothing. Switch it to Alpha 'off'.

When I checked my background's .avi file in the image editor, the Alpha Channel drop box is set to Enabled, but grayed out. The only options I am able to change are the interlace and quality options.

I did hit "D" and made sure that the camera view background was set to background image.

After looking at those settings the BG remains for one frame (until I scrub through the timeline) then disappears.
Hahaha...confusing.

toby
08-31-2007, 04:12 AM
[email protected]!

toby
08-31-2007, 04:15 AM
as a work-around, you could export that video as an image sequence. it's more reliable to use a sequence than a video file.

Algae998
08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I didnt even think of that. The clip Im using is less than 50 frames for a test so that might work. Are .avi's more difficult to work with, or is it always a better idea to use an image sequence?

I probably already know the answer to this but...I filmed my table top and made a model. If I want my model to "adhere" to the surface of the table top, I have to create a 3d plane or geometry after tracking and camera solving the footage, correct? I suppose I have a lot more researching to do.

toby
08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Yea, it's always better to use image sequences. No framerate issues.

You'll have to track the 3D camera to the footage, which also involves matching the camera lens. Not as easy as it sounds. If you want it really good you'll have to get some tracking software, if you've got a good eye and loads of time and patience you could do it manually, and it probably wouldn't look as good.

Amurrell
09-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Why is the Alpha channel grayed out I wonder? Anyone have a clue?

toby
09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Are you sure your file has an alpha? LW is supposed to detect it

Algae998
09-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Ive used Boujou before, only really as a quick test. The tracking data I ended up exporting to After Effects, but it seemed to have tracked well enough. Im reading a book on matchmoving now and I believe in order to get a model to "stand" on the table, I have to create a mesh, or something of the sort, for it to adhere to.
Eh, Ill get it one of these days!