PDA

View Full Version : 'to do' list for layout [wish list]

cresshead
08-28-2007, 07:31 AM
layout to do list....:thumbsup: ..for layout.

:beta: ...i'm hoping! [9.4 or 9.5]
it's all a bit random...just added when i think of it!:D

just my list!
1.rigging...some cool easy to use ik setups..you know click drag done style.
2.fast bones...geometry based bones would be nice too btw!
3.some mo cap specific tools to get mo cap up n running with nr zero fuss [please!]
4.new non linear editor
5.instancing as a core item not a 3rd party plugin
6.ies lights [not a fake shadow...proper lights!]
7.bucket rendering
8.micro poly displacement for z brush..just make it simple to set up n use!
9.undo for anything... undo's all thru lightwave layout.
10.preset lib for nodal surfaces...specific lib for arch tech
11.click>drag biped rig
12.click>drag quadroped rig
13.paint weights in layout
14.lattice deformers
15.event or rule based particle systems
16.load image capability in image world [rather than jump out to image loader]
17.video tutorials on new radiosity set up
18.video tutorials on nodes
19.fprime style previews..ie UPDATE viper please!
20.a specific mo cap rig that can be adjusted to a character with ease and you can drag/drop bvh files onto it.

if you get a simple motion capture rig and deploy working you'll make a load of people quite happy...and if that included some non linear editing with filtering for say legs arms and torso's...this wuld help generic animators and the arch design, product tec crowd who long for a simple method of adding walking people into their scenes...[useability like poser/biped>max]

fur/hair:-we have a few 3rd party options..we can wait.
fluids:- we can use blender...we can wait
cloth:-...we can do some already..i think we can wait on that.
rigid body dynamics..we've got something..we can wait on that too.

Steamthrower
08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
My list (which overlaps with cresshead's):

1. Click>Drag rigging
2. Footstep-based animation
3. Much much easier CA, period
4. Fluids (integrated into LW is important for me)
5. Integrated particle effects (i.e. Dynamite)
6. More intuitive keyframing

Interface, modeling, and especially rendering is all fine as it is by me.

Integrated fluids is important for me. Recently I had a mechanical visualization project involving molten aluminum which would have been so nice to use an integrated fluid solution in.

Kuzey
08-28-2007, 09:02 AM
When I read 'to do' list, I actually thought you wanted a way to write /read comments into the object or scene files, so when you get back to the project you know what's left to be done etc.

Mmmmm....that actually sounds like a good idea.

But yes...more improvements everywhere :thumbsup:

Kuzey

alifx
08-28-2007, 09:05 AM
great list :thumbsup:

my 'wish list' is one thing only :)

1. Hire more developers and expand the team [Please!]

cresshead
08-28-2007, 09:39 AM
newtek should aquire messiah...that would be a great start...

Sensei
08-28-2007, 12:10 PM
This list sounds like for LW[10],[11] and [12] not for v9.x.. :p

cresshead
08-28-2007, 01:35 PM
hey, do let them off the hook!
9.5 will be a nice number to put these in.
newtek ARE doing a core re write...if they don't put this stuff in place soon it'll never be in...

DiedonD
08-29-2007, 01:29 AM
great list :thumbsup:

my 'wish list' is one thing only :)

1. Hire more developers and expand the team [Please!]

I like this one, heres me

1. Hire more developers and expand the team, and if your low in the budget contact me. I know VERY good talented people, who would work for less then what you pay em for sure.

scratch33
08-29-2007, 01:04 PM
7. Bucket rendering is very very important I thing...:agree:
And a little lifting to screamernet...:D

greent
08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
x. drag 'n' drop objects/scenes :-)

IMI
08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd like to be able to take a pre-node era material and be able to convert it into a node setup - maybe not completely, like where everything is plugged in, but at least ready to go in the node creation window thingy.

For example, I have an older model that has multiple textures for color, diffuse, trans, bump, and so on, lyered with procedurals and somewhat controlled by gradients, also layered. Redoing all that seems to be more trouble than it's worth, because I'd have to get all the procedurals right, all the gradients, and so on.
I'm thinking it'd be great to be able to click some button and at least have all those materials converted into their associated nodes, where it's then just a matter of plugging it all together and tweaking, plus adding the effects of the newer node stuff to it.

voriax
08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Someone should put together a definitive feature request list, taking everyone's requests and ordering them in relation to each part of LW.
And if NT already have such a list, then they should post it! :D

After a while, it gets hard to read through so many people's requests and remember what a person requested a week ago. We need an indexed requests database! One where people can "vote" on their "most wanted" from each section... that would be a great indication of what us users want and when.. Something a bit more precise than a poll with 10 broad options..

Verlon
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
just my list!
1.rigging...some cool easy to use ik setups..you know click drag done style.
2.fast bones...geometry based bones would be nice too btw!
3.some mo cap specific tools to get mo cap up n running with nr zero fuss [please!]
4.new non linear editor
5.instancing as a core item not a 3rd party plugin
6.ies lights [not a fake shadow...proper lights!]
7.bucket rendering
9.undo for anything... undo's all thru lightwave layout.
10.preset lib for nodal surfaces...specific lib for arch tech
11.click>drag biped rig
12.click>drag quadroped rig
13.paint weights in layout
14.lattice deformers
15.event or rule based particle systems
16.load image capability in image world [rather than jump out to image loader]
17.video tutorials on new radiosity set up
18.video tutorials on nodes
19.fprime style previews..ie UPDATE viper please!
20.a specific mo cap rig that can be adjusted to a character with ease and you can drag/drop bvh files onto it.

if you get a simple motion capture rig and deploy working you'll make a load of people quite happy...and if that included some non linear editing with filtering for say legs arms and torso's...this wuld help generic animators and the arch design, product tec crowd who long for a simple method of adding walking people into their scenes...[useability like poser/biped>max]

fur/hair:-we have a few 3rd party options..we can wait.
fluids:- we can use blender...we can wait
cloth:-...we can do some already..i think we can wait on that.
rigid body dynamics..we've got something..we can wait on that too.

Well that is a pretty good wish list.
Since I have FPrime, I would trade the viper update for one of your "it can waits" in particular better hair and/or cloth.

With maestro, TSM, ACS4, and the other auto-riggers around, click and drag rigging seems like it should be viable for biped and quadrupeds (and if you could merge and delete bones, a centaur would be a cinch too).

Painting weights in layout would be REALLY nice.

I don't have a burning need for 15, but it looks cool. :)

My addition would be continue to improve the SDK so that FPrime and the like could render pixel filters.. I aht no preview for hyperstars and sasquatch.

jin choung
09-02-2007, 05:33 AM
love the list cress,

would also like:

- motion mixer that's entered the 20th century.... hello? let me splice and dice like a non linear editor and drag out clips and such... hello?

- UNIFIED INTERFACE ACROSS ALL EDITORS (pick should always be the same whether in 3d view or graph editor!!!!)... same mousing, same keys (when possible)... and hello, 'a' 'shift-a' should work in ALL VIEWS! hello?

- vertex weight spreadsheet with the ability to lock, redistribute, normalize values. i don't like working blind.

- http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/modeler/weighter.html ... something like that would kick serious ***** for weightmapping. but if you don't build it in, i'll just get it separate. no biggie.

- MTSE for ENDOMORPHS ALREADY for pete's sake!!! hello?

- easier mov, rot, scale gizmos... especially with the rotate, it's difficult to tell what's going on most of the time. maybe make them flattened toruses or something but those rings are difficult to comprehend. also, they respond weirdly... smooth all that crap out....

- a real implementation of SET DRIVEN KEY... so that there can be set an ARBITRARY relationship between driven and driver.

- do what needs to be done so you can get rid of "simple" in front of our constraints. are they real working versions or not?

- hair. saslite doesn't cut it. no "lites". no "jrs".

- bones that exist on the same level hierarchically speaking as objects, lights, camera, nulls.... having them as nested subset of objects makes it more cumbersome to use.

and it would be nice to be able to just draw out a bone chain if i want without having to create a null for it.

- visual indication of bone falloff. make the verts light up or something... and also allow me to bake it into vmap if i want.

- visual indication of bone falloff. make the verts light up or something... and also allow me to bake it into vmap if i want.

- .mdd baking is fing awesome. keep rocking that big time. one of the best things in lw's animation featureset.

- ALLOW COMPLETE FREEDOM IN DETERMINING DEFORMATION ORDER!!! including bones and morphs! along with all other displacement plugins. i've got a thread on this too.

- either allow USER DEFINABLE ROTATION ORDER (ala maya) for euler angles or go whole hog with QUATERNIONS. gimbal lock ain't any kind of fun.

- get rid of vertex paint. that is, make it so that there is no need for it. it's a halfa$$ed solution in a wholea$$ed world. we want the whole *****. won't you give us the whole *****?

jin

oops. and p.s. hello?

-EsHrA-
09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
my wishlist :)

bigger dev team and faster dev.

mlon

cresshead
09-02-2007, 07:49 AM
cheers!

wells seeing as there is no development list for up n coming versions of lightwave we can at least put our wishes 'out there':agree:

with everyone [app wise] trying to find their niche area...maybe newtek can
with the new character tools make a more affordable version of motion builder
rather than strip modeler and drag it screaming into layout..which we now understand getting modeler into layout is no small feat and may take until well into version 10...

So move the focus onto something that other apps don't pay much attention to..that of motion capture....get ti to being drag n drop simple...okay dreaming i know!...still it's sunday so why not!:thumbsup:

Nemoid
09-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Someone should put together a definitive feature request list, taking everyone's requests and ordering them in relation to each part of LW.
And if NT already have such a list, then they should post it! :D

After a while, it gets hard to read through so many people's requests and remember what a person requested a week ago. We need an indexed requests database! One where people can "vote" on their "most wanted" from each section... that would be a great indication of what us users want and when.. Something a bit more precise than a poll with 10 broad options..

I agree. so why not doing a somewhat official whish list and see what happens?
editing cresshead list would be a good start

jin choung
09-02-2007, 01:14 PM
re: transform gizmos - i think the issue is that even after i click an arrow or a ring, it only accepts mouse movement that is horizontal or vertical or something....

THIS IS BAD!

after i click on a manip axis, ANY AND ALL MOUSE MOVEMENT should result in movement cuz you never know how it looks to me at the angle i'm viewing. this should be easy and quick newtek! next release ok?

jin

nthused
09-02-2007, 01:36 PM
1) Well implemented Instancing
2) Network rendering that can share GI solution.
3) IES lights

wp_capozzi
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I just want to add one more vote to everything listed. Looks like a really good list for a next round of development. I would be really happy if that is the direction things go.

-Bill C.

jin choung
09-02-2007, 02:35 PM
oh, and there should probably be a SUBDIVISION node in the DEFORMATION ORDER LIST.... let us drop that in wherever we want.

also, something like this would rock - check out metaeffectors:

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/tutorials.htm

weight mapping may be necessary but it's never pleasant... in any app. so the more newfangled options you give us, the better off we are.

simply letting us define the HOTDOG FORCEFIELDS (including shape [cube, sphere, etc] and stretch, and that forcefield and its falloff should be visible to us as a wireframe) and have those forcefields "light up" affected verts would go a long way towards messiah's metaeffectors.

jin

jin choung
09-02-2007, 11:12 PM
oh, and this is related to layout so it should be brought up.

IN THEORY, i like skelegons. in theory, communism works... :)

anyhoo, i do like the ability to work with skelegons like simple polys inside of modeler.

BUT RECORD PIVOT ROTATION should not have to exist. right now, the pitchbank lollipop deal affects the children of the skelegon.

pray tell - WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

if i wanted to change the pitchangle of the child, i would have rotated the pitch angle of the frickin child! it makes sense for the children to inherit the pitchangle too but by default, the pitchangle of the skelegon you are modifying should reflect your setting. you guys chose to do it this way for some reason. it's dumb. fix it.

also, THAT LOLLIPOP DEAL HAS GOT TO GO! give me HPB rotation axes visible!!! and let me NUMERICALLY SPECIFY EXACTLY and copy values and paste if need be! expecially when i have to mirror and stuff like that, just "EYEBALLING" ain't gonna do.

also, gimme some kind of snapping action.... right now with the lollipops, it's just spray and pray and that just ain't right. let it determine a pitchangle that is constrained to a disk perpendicular to the skelegon (and let hpb constantly reflect that pitchangle) but let the lollipop freefloat to snap to reference objects, etc.

i need precision in setting up character stuff.... that lollipop has really got to go.

HPB should always be visible. i should be able to snap to degrees or at least to world orthgraphic axes and if there is a lollipop, i should be able to snap to grid or verts or something....

and there should be an option for rotation axes to be persistently visble on the skelegons to facilitate setup at a glance.

jin

SaturnX
09-03-2007, 01:31 PM
7.bucket rendering

Those are the most important things :D
Everything else is fluff :p

I totally agree with both of these things,
It seems like a fairly feasible must for a v9.xx release... ?

jin choung
09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
oh, and since newtek is loathe to STANDARDIZE KEYBOARDING/MOUSING ACROSS ALL (ALLLLLLLL!!!) EDITORS in layout (should ideally be for modeler as well but that's gonna be a tough fight) (graph, node, etc etc etc) i will do it for them:

1. LMB is used for:
a. MANIPULATING THE VIEW
+ALT results in orbiting when it makes sense
+ALT +SHIFT results in moving or "panning"
+ALT +SHIFT +CTRL results in scaling or zooming.
b. TRANSFORMING OBJECTS (move, rotate, scale as it makes sense)
+DRAG
+CTRL +DRAG constrain to an axis without gizmo
+CTRL +SHIFT currently hotbox. bad. re-assign
+CTRL +SHIFT +ALT not currently in use. can someone find logical
use?

2. MMB is used for SELECTION DUTIES:
a. CLICK results in SELECTION. this is optional now but i wouldn't mind if
this was nailed down as a permanent default setting. especially since it
eliminates the possibility of accidentally transforming while picking.... i like.
b. +DRAG results in SELECTION BOX
c. +ALT +DRAG results in LASSO? not codified but it makes sense.
d. +SHIFT (+DRAG)add to selection. even if you click or box select over
selected items, it NEVER removes from selection.
e. +CTRL (+DRAG) remove from selection.
f. +CTRL +SHIFT currently hotbox... no good. re-assign
g. +CTRL +SHIFT +ALT currently empty... can anyone find a logical use?

3. RMB - context and popup menus. i propose all hotbox menus be relegated
to RMB.
a. +DRAG... no conceivable function
b. +SHIFT - (hotboxmenu1?)
c. +CTRL - (hotboxmenu2?)
d. +ALT - (hotboxmenu3?)
e. +CTRL +SHIFT - alternative context menu1
f. +CTRL +SHIFT +ALT - alternative context menu2

"a" should always frame all objects in scene (editor)

+SHIFT "a" should always frame SELECTED OBJECT (item) in scene (editor), EVEN IN PERSPECTIVE VIEWS!!! WHY IS THIS AN EXCEPTION?!?! the only place where it makes internal sense not to do it is for a camera/light view.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

again, these rules should be rigid and apply across every single interface/editor in layout unless it absolutely does not make sense to do so... and i can't think of any example.

so this goes for graph editor, dope sheet editor, scene editor, node editor, motion mixer, etc. and when it doesn't make sense (perhaps motion mixer being an example, they should create a convention that is in the spirit of the original so it remains intuitive)

after a final FORMALIZATION has taken place, newtek should PRINT IT OUT, give it to the coders and go conform everything! this is software design 101 people. chop chop!

waddya guys think? any revisions? any suggestions for unassigned keycombos? anything you don't think makes sense?

jin

p.s. and if possible, all this should be CUSTOMIZABLE BY USER TOO... even at this base level... but there should be a sensible DEFAULT,

p.s. geez, i don't get paid enough for this.... :)

Ztreem
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I vote for everything here, plus real NURBS surface and curve support in Layout for animation and rendering.