PDA

View Full Version : Blender_2_LW

prospector
08-28-2007, 06:39 AM
I'm trying to load a motion file into LW from blender and object just spins.
Any steps to take or tuts for this?

dballesg
08-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Sorry to leech on your topic here, but I thought it would be better to keep it to one thread :)

Can anyone point to some resources for setting up blender fluid sims and getting meshes back in to LightWave. I'm really just interested in single "time freeze" grabs of fluids for still rendering in LightWave.

Here you are! :)

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10042&highlight=Blender+fluids

dballesg
08-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Hi, how you exported the motion from Blender. I never did that, but I know blender consider the Z axis UP, so maybe it is a problem on how the blender exporter has been coded?

David

cresshead
08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
blender fluid tutorial video
http://www.3dtutorials.sk/userimages/steve/fluid_sim_800.avi

Glendalough
08-28-2007, 08:03 AM

The best way to get motion out of blender is to export MDD. Select the mesh and go to file/export/save mesh as MDD.

I have done this many times and it works flawlessly. You have to also bring the mesh into Lightwave first you know. This also should come in perfectly with the latest version of Blender. Save as LWO in Blender.

Hope this works for you.

prospector
08-28-2007, 08:40 AM
The best way to get motion out of blender is to export MDD. Select the mesh and go to file/export/save mesh as MDD.

All I am trying to do is to get a .blend BVH file to something that LW can read for the BVH importer.
Tried saving it as a HMOT file but that just spins. LW object uses all BVH files but not many free ones on net, tho did find lots of .blend ones.

maby some kind of converter??

Thomas M.
08-29-2007, 07:07 AM
What would be the use of a MDD file? And how would I take advantage of it in LW?

jin choung
09-02-2007, 11:59 PM
.mdd is used by motion designer.

BUT

the really cool thing is that it has become lw's road into and out of third party apps.

it is basically a way to RECORD THE POSITION OF EVERY VERTEX FOR EVERY FRAME.

what this means is that you can animate in blender or maya or xsi and then export a .mdd file (containing your animation) and the model (as a .obj or .3ds or any other interchange file format).

lw (or the other apps) never have to know how the other apps handle animation or ik or any such thing.

it BRUTE FORCE recorded the position of every vertex for every frame. and it looks just as good. but now you can go to and from a whole crapload of apps.

it is one of the best things newtek (or its "co-developers") has developed for lw's animation system.

jin

Titus
09-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I've used .mdd files and Perl to create crowd animation for a couple of commercials, it was nice.

bugzilla
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Animating with subpatches enables is impossible due to the system slowdown, so I 've tried animating non-subdivided objects in Blender, exporting the MDD file then opening that in LW. The problem is that when I apply subpatches to the model the animation gets all messed up. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

.mdd is used by motion designer.

BUT

the really cool thing is that it has become lw's road into and out of third party apps.

it is basically a way to RECORD THE POSITION OF EVERY VERTEX FOR EVERY FRAME.

what this means is that you can animate in blender or maya or xsi and then export a .mdd file (containing your animation) and the model (as a .obj or .3ds or any other interchange file format).

lw (or the other apps) never have to know how the other apps handle animation or ik or any such thing.

it BRUTE FORCE recorded the position of every vertex for every frame. and it looks just as good. but now you can go to and from a whole crapload of apps.

it is one of the best things newtek (or its "co-developers") has developed for lw's animation system.

jin

bugzilla
04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Animating with subpatches enables is impossible due to the system slowdown, so I 've tried animating non-subdivided objects in Blender, exporting the MDD file then opening that in LW. The problem is that when I apply subpatches to the model the animation gets all messed up. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

OK. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Simply changing the Subivision order to last did the trick. Duh! What a rookie mistake.