PDA

View Full Version : dynamic texturing help! :)

-EsHrA-
08-28-2007, 03:16 AM
i need to texture a big wall with different textures. i need to change them dynamicly to get several looks.

i have a wall divided in strips of 300mm and i have 4 different brick textures.
these need to be applied on the wall in changing setups.

so.. one strip 600mm texture 1, one strip say 1200mm texture 2 etc. random.

my college works in 3d-viz and can change the textures (i think thru object id.) with one click of the button
then it assigns the textures to random strips.

is this possible in lw?

im not up for reassiging all my textures just to get 1 different brick setup.

anyone?..

mlon

Surrealist.
08-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Not sure what you are trying to do and why it needs to be dynamic/random. If it is for animation there are a few ways depending on what you are trying to do.

If it is for setting up textures there is the preset shelf you can use to toggle between different set ups to try out various looks on a surface by surface basis.

hdace
08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
i need to texture a big wall with different textures. i need to change them dynamicly to get several looks.

is this possible in lw?

im not up for reassiging all my textures just to get 1 different brick setup.

anyone?..

mlon

Yeah, try morphing. Have different layers of the same object with different textures for each version.

In Layout go to Deform tab of Properties of the first layer and select Morph Target. Select a different layer. All the layers except the first should be dissolved or not seen by the camera.

Then click "Morph Surfaces". If you also click Multi Target/Single Env then you can use graph editor to control the exact moment the surfaces change.

You can add noise to the graph for randomness, or you can use a null with a progressive texture applied to its X channel motion and then channel follow that to get a (in my opinion) better random feel to the texture change.

Hope that makes sense.

Hal

wavk
08-29-2007, 03:42 AM
thanx guys for the suggestions but it is not for an animation.
only for stills with different brick setups.

ill look for a better explanation... though its pretty straightforward to do in 3dmax or 3dviz with material id's.

mlon