PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Lightwave artists to convert scenes for upcoming magazine article...

jhanke
08-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey Lightwave artists,

My name is Jeremy Hanke and I'm the editor of Microfilmmaker Magazine, the online magazine for low budget filmmakers. We have teamed up with 3D communities like those at DAZ, RuntimeDNA, and Renderosity in the past to create other 3D articles and are currently planning a new article for an upcoming issue of our magazine.

This one is a 3D comparison article and we are currently looking for an artist who wants to prove that Lightwave can render as realistic a scene as more costly packages. This artist would need to be willing to convert two scenes created in Cinema 4D Studio to Lightwave for this article.

If you are interested, here are the specifics:

You would be converting two cinema 4D backgrounds (one indoor day room and one outdoor night alley) to Lightwave, replicating lighting, opacity, and other considerations to the best of your abililty and the ability of the software. You would be given the .C4D scenes, as well as .OBJ, .3DS, .DXF, and all other file formats Cinema 4D can generate, along with a master picture and textures. The goal would be to make the Lightwave scene look as much like the Cinema 4D scene as possible and as photorealistic as possible. Obviously, since it is a comparison article, no post-production touch up would be allowed.

If you're interested in doing this, you would get credit in the article for your work, a link to your website, and our undying gratitude.

If we have additional artists who are interested, then the one who can make the render look the most similar in layout, while at the same time being the most photoreal would be the one whose images and information we would "print" in our online magazine. (The reason for the emphasis on photorealism is because this 3D roundup is part of a series on greenscreening, in which greenscreen footage will be blended with the 3D background.)

The deadline for completing the conversion is September 20th.

Let me know if you would be interested by emailing me at: [email protected]

Thanks much,

Jeremy

Jeremy Hanke
Editor
Microfilmmaker Magazine
http://www.microfilmmaker.com
[email protected]

Limbus
08-28-2007, 01:17 AM
The goal would be to make the Lightwave scene look as much like the Cinema 4D scene as possible and as photorealistic as possible.
Can we make them better looking than the C4D version? :)
And can we use third party renders like FPrime or Kray?

Cheers, Florian

cagey5
08-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Could be a good team project to undertake.

StereoMike
08-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah, post the scene and watch the contest :)

mike

archijam
08-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Cinema4D is used in film?

Not being sarcastic, just can't name any films ...

j.

Ztreem
08-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Bring it on! Give me a scene and object files and I'm ready to go.

cagey5
08-28-2007, 03:58 AM
Has anyone actually made contact yet to get the files. I would, but I have no way of converting from Cinema 4D.

Iain
08-28-2007, 04:59 AM
I find it strange that anyone would doubt LW could match C4D in terms of realism.

C4D has a great renderer (if you pay for the add-ons) but it's generally regarded as very similar in features and quality to LW, is it not?

MooseDog
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, post the scene and watch the contest :)

mike

:agree: a community-based option is your best bet here jeremy (considering adn assuming there's no money involved) imho. friendly, helpful, talented artists will participate if asked. and the results will be top-shelf!

check out this community video for some ideas/direction:

Community Video (http://www.lightwiki.com/Community_LightWave_9.2_demo_video)

roger1972
08-28-2007, 09:25 AM
where is the scene? I want to give it a shot...

Iain
08-28-2007, 09:30 AM
where is the scene? I want to give it a shot...

Email him if interested (see the first post).

cresshead
08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
sounds like render bait to me!

MooseDog
08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
sounds like render bait to me!

absolutely! why not try to turn it on it's head and turn it into something fun

toby
08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I doubt that they (or any of you) would want to write "this C4D scene was matched in LW, by a huge team of LW artists..."

cresshead
08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
..they might...if say 20 people all did a great job and made 20 unique photoreal versions...that would show that any ole joe can blast cinema 4d's renderer into dust no problemo...

toby
08-29-2007, 12:49 AM
That's what I meant, it shouldn't be a collective effort on small projects like these, it would just make LW look more difficult than the other apps if it takes more than one person.

cagey5
08-29-2007, 01:34 AM
I don't see a problem. We don't know how the original scene was generated in the first place. It may have been a similar team effort. And the challenge is to see whether Lightwave can achieve a similar or better look than Cinema 4d, and in that case it's immaterial how many people are involved.

p,s, Anyone got the files yet?

zapper1998
08-29-2007, 02:29 AM
sounds fun enough