PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and a Duel - Quadcore system - 8 threads

jjuneau
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi, I was looking into purchasing a duel quadcore system. But before I do, I want to make sure Lightwave can utilize such a rig. The guys over at Apple tell me, "it will run Lightwave faster." Well no crap it will.. I want to know if I'm wasting my money buying such a massive setup or if Lightwave will in fact utilize all that processing power...

Will it?

Celshader
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi, I was looking into purchasing a duel quadcore system. But before I do, I want to make sure Lightwave can utilize such a rig. The guys over at Apple tell me, "it will run Lightwave faster." Well no crap it will.. I want to know if I'm wasting my money buying such a massive setup or if Lightwave will in fact utilize all that processing power...

Will it?

Working in Modeler/Layout would not show much of a difference, since both apps are single-threaded.

Rendering will show a significant difference. If you're using the new 9.x cameras (Perspective, RealLens, Advanced, etc), and if you set the number of render threads to eight, your render should be about eight times faster than a single-threaded render. The new cameras do a good job of using multiple threads.

What do you plan to do with LightWave on this machine? If it's mostly modeling, a single dual-core might be enough.

jameswillmott
08-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I've had the distinct pleasure of using LW on a 16 core, 32Gb Ram system. It absolutely screams along for rendering. Truely.

And it took full advantage of the radiosity cache in 9.2+, unlike a renderfarm of 16 cpus.

I can't say what Modeler performance was like because I only had it for a short time, but for rendering having the 8 cores you're proposing will give you plenty of power.

kopperdrake
08-27-2007, 05:29 PM
16 cores james! That's just obscene :D

I run an 8 core here and for rendering it's beautiful to not have to wait too long. As Cel says, if you're mainly modelling then it'll more than likely be wasted, but if you plan on rendering at all it's the way to go for an all-in-one box solution. Lightwave makes use of the 8 cores for rendering - it's great watching them kick in on the preview image, then when one finishes it alloted piece of image to render it just jumps in and helps another core out...lovely.