PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock

sammael
08-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I just purchased Bioshock a couple of days ago, in terms of art direction, playability and fun factor its the best game I have played in ages. Its nice to get a bit excited about a game again for the first time in years. If you like games or even use to I strongly suggest to check this out.

For the level and character design alone in terms of 3D content its worth a look. Anyhow im off to shoot up some Plasmids and take down some Splicers.

'Jes-us loves me this I knowww, because the bible tells me soo...'

wavk
08-27-2007, 01:28 AM
bioshock!! love it! :)

mlon

Phil
08-27-2007, 01:41 AM
The DRM restrictions put me off. Having to activate a game? No thanks.

Sande
08-27-2007, 01:54 AM
'Jes-us loves me this I knowww, because the bible tells me soo...'
Heh, brings back memories - Genesis had a nice gig in Helsinki last summer. The stage was huge, music loud and Phil Collins bald - everything I wished for. :)

I still have my pre-ordered Bioshock waiting for me at store - DRM gave me second thoughts and I also have to download a demo to make sure it works under bootcamp. Seems like some people are having problems with Bioshock and graphics drivers - so if someone has tested it with MacPro and X1900XT, please tell...

wavk
08-27-2007, 06:11 AM
hmm...i just picked up a copy for 39,99 ... thought it was about 59,99...

schweet :)

mlon

sammael
08-27-2007, 06:50 AM
I had a driver issue with my Wacom tablet of all things, I had to stop the TabletImputService in Task Manager to get it to work in full screen. Appart from that its been smooth sailing though, not a single problem.

Yeah that DRM stuff agrivated me a bit as well especially when my connection dropped out due to maintenance at my local exchange the moment I logged onto the patch server... talk about bad timing, had to reinstall a couple of hours later once the line was activated again :devil:

Red_Oddity
08-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Running it on an Xbox, no problems with crazy DRMs.

Great game so far.

Anyone else noticed the garden area has the exact same ambient sound as the Garden/forrest levels in Thief? (probably the same guys)

sammael
08-27-2007, 07:19 AM
You can download the bioshock score for free at the website apparently :)

sammael
08-27-2007, 07:23 AM
http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/BioShock_Score.zip

sammael
08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Awesome... I kinda regret not getting the special edition now, but thet didnt have it in stock so :(

Signal to Noise
08-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Running it on an Xbox, no problems with crazy DRMs.

That's because XBox is one big DRM. ;)

kjl
08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I really like the art direction in Bioshock. It's refreshing to see an game that's supposed to be spooky and scary that has things like... blues, reds, yellows, greens, whites... you know... colors outside the Quake palette of gray, brown, and greenish brown. That's right, Gears of War, I'm talking to you (though to be fair, Gears of War left out those pesky brown and greenish brown colors as well).

Bog
08-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Anyone else notice the "Fountainhead" label on the wine bottles? Someone really hating being made to critique Atlas Shrugged at school....

Bog
08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I love crossover gags. Especially ones that exactly three people in the whole universe will get.

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/Images/bioshock_sandwich.png

Zane Condren
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
My copy of Bioshock is arriving tomorrow( I sure love Amazon Prime), I played the demo this weekend and could not get enough of it. It looks and sounds amazing, the small part of the story in the demo is great.

iconoclasty
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
It has a nice original story and an interesting setting, but I found the demo something of a let down. Not to say it was bad, but with as much hype as it's gotten I was expecting more than your average scary fps.

Red_Oddity
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
That's because XBox is one big DRM. ;)
Ahwell, atleast it works, and at good frame rates aswell.

darkChief
08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Just got it, sweet game, can't stop playing:boogiedow

RedBull
08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah, i don't play games often but i did have to try it out, mainly because development of the game is done by the guys at Irrational Games 2K Australia's office, which is only a few hundred meters from me.

You will be saddened to know they use 3DSMax for development... :(
I was a little disappointed with the game graphically, but art direction, and sound engineering, dialog and atmosphere were / are all exceptional.

Securerom while not great, I guess was chosen to protect the investment.

Without Multi-Player / Online capability, obviously the amount of piracy occurs is greater....And although the Securerom protection was cracked within a few days of PC release. I'm sure during the 3 or 4 days it was not cracked it sold a lot of copies. (Steam etc) So security was likely a worthy investment on this particular game.

Bog
08-29-2007, 04:31 AM
I got my copy over Steam, so I really didn't notice any DRM that might've been in place. I've yet to actually have a gripe about anything I bought over it - quite a few titles now.

With regards to the visuals themselves - they're quite highly variable, aren't they? Some of the water effects are quite spiffy, but the initial reveal of the city from the bathysphere was a bit of a let-down compared to other current cities and things.

RedBull
08-29-2007, 06:55 AM
I got my copy over Steam, so I really didn't notice any DRM that might've been in place. I've yet to actually have a gripe about anything I bought over it - quite a few titles now.

With regards to the visuals themselves - they're quite highly variable, aren't they? Some of the water effects are quite spiffy, but the initial reveal of the city from the bathysphere was a bit of a let-down compared to other current cities and things.

Yeah i think even after you download from Steam it had to activate via server.secureom, which was apparently another 900Mb download.

But Steam does seem to be a booming business Valve definately struck gold with it and I'm sure it will just grow more popular.

That opening sequence in the bathysphere, really did look like it was modeled in Max... :) I agree the real time waterfx are nice, as are some of the lighting and locations, but yeah i just thought the character detail was a little lacking the normal mapping (if there was any) seemed quite average.

But still so much attention on the graphics has spoiled the gameplay of games these days, It's nice that this game is still so enjoyable gameplay wise and even playable on older hardware.

iconoclasty
08-29-2007, 08:15 AM
And although the Securerom protection was cracked within a few days of PC release. I'm sure during the 3 or 4 days it was not cracked it sold a lot of copies. (Steam etc) So security was likely a worthy investment on this particular game.
You've got to be kidding. You can't actually believe the securerom actually increased sales.

I got my copy over Steam, so I really didn't notice any DRM that might've been in place.

You might not have noticed it, but you still got it. You have Securerom installed on your computer now. How harmful/benign that may be... too soon to decide.

mattclary
08-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Ahwell, atleast it works, and at good frame rates aswell.

Well, other than that whole pesky red ring of death thing... ;)

iconoclasty
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Yes, the 360 Burns itself to death at a very good framerate.

art
08-29-2007, 08:43 AM
I've read somewhere that Bioshock is "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. I loved that game. I'll try the demo of Bioshock and see what comes out of it.

Signal to Noise
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
I've read somewhere that Bioshock is "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. I loved that game. I'll try the demo of Bioshock and see what comes out of it.

I DL'd the 360 demo via Live. As as soon as I got the character into the underwater hatch I immediately thought of System Shock 2. The lighting and ambience is certainly reminiscent of SS2.

I was extremely impressed of the seamless transition from the opening movie sequence to actual gameplay. It took me a few minutes to realize that I needed to take control of the character once he was in the water. I thought it was still a movie playing!

Because of my backlog of games I am not going to buy Bioshock right away. It will be going on my Xmas list. :thumbsup:

RedBull
08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
You've got to be kidding. You can't actually believe the securerom actually increased sales.

Yep talking to the development team, they seem to think it's worth paying a licence fee for Securerom, as they made there money back very quickly.
Steam downloads exceeded all there expectations, and even Valve's servers took a massive hit for the four days of pre-loading. Huge success for a small developer like irrational, they are all very happy in Boston and Canberra. :)

As for the DRM360 (I mean Xbox360), well it was released later than the PC, doesn't support AntiAliasing on the Xbox and doesn't allow mods to be added and supported. Oh well.... :)

iconoclasty
08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Lol. Just goes to show you that no one in the industry understands piracy. Nor how to treat their customers.

Sande
08-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Lol. Just goes to show you that no one in the industry understands piracy.
If you do, please share your knowledge with us. :)

iconoclasty
08-30-2007, 07:33 AM
I'll share one little secret about DRM [whisper] it doesn't work.

IgnusFast
08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I was extremely impressed of the seamless transition from the opening movie sequence to actual gameplay. It took me a few minutes to realize that I needed to take control of the character once he was in the water. I thought it was still a movie playing!

It's kind of amazing, but because the movies look like they're rendered at lower console resolutions, the actual gameplay does look a lot better than the movies themselves.

CG hasn't yet caught up with reality, but it's nice to see real time graphics competing with pre-rendered again!

Red_Oddity
08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
I finished the game yesterday, unfortunately, i wanted more and more.

The ending was, well, touching really, how about that, a first person shooter where you actually care (no i won't spoil anything.)
It was a real nice experience, and probably the best game for the XBox 360 so far.

Kudos to Ken Levine and the folks at 2K (irrational/looking glass/whatever-they-are-called-this-year)

-EsHrA-
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
i havent finished it yet, will boot it up again in a sec but love it all the way.

mlon

Lito
08-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Just finished the game today. It was great. I think I'll go an replay it but this time I'll do it differently. I think there are multiple endings depending on how you play it.

eagleeyed
08-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Well because of this thread I have just brought the game, downloading on Steam now. In Aus it is half price on Steam compared to buying it in the shops so I am happy about that.

art
08-31-2007, 07:15 AM
I will probably buy it too, just because of this thread. Otherwise the game would probably not catch my attention.
I downloaded the demo (huge file) but I did not have a chance to try it yet.

Signal to Noise
08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
...Because of my backlog of games I am not going to buy Bioshock right away. It will be going on my Xmas list. :thumbsup:

Damn you Hype Machine!

Every podcast I listen to and game site I visit (not to mention these and CGTalk's forums) talks about Bioshock and how great the entire game is. I couldn't take it any more and the not-so-subliminal messages coerced me into buying the game on my way home from work last night.

Good thing it's a rainy long weekend...:)

sammael
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I love how you have to shoot up plasmids with a needle, one of the many disturbingly good aspects of the game. Im going to play this over again as well on hard. I didnt have the heart to harvest the little sisters the first time round but I have hardened my resolve now MMHHUUUUAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAH!

mav3rick
09-01-2007, 02:08 AM
I finished the game yesterday, unfortunately, i wanted more and more.

The ending was, well, touching really, how about that, a first person shooter where you actually care (no i won't spoil anything.)
It was a real nice experience, and probably the best game for the XBox 360 so far.

Kudos to Ken Levine and the folks at 2K (irrational/looking glass/whatever-they-are-called-this-year)

playing pgr3 ? :)

archijam
09-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Is it possible to see some screenshots (wireframes not nec....) .. ? I could go look them up, but it's nicer to see 'real' ones in game, and not the ones the developers chose .. ;)

j.

Bog
09-01-2007, 09:44 AM
You get a different kind of reward for saving the little sisters rather than harvesting them - every few you save, you get a pressie. In the end, I think you actually do better off that way (not in overall Adam points, but in the plasmids you get).

I played the durn thing all the way through twice, to get both endings. The "Good" ending is genuinely touching, and vastly more satisfying than the Bad one.

Red_Oddity
09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Playing through it again on hard (while agian, saving the little sisters).
I must say, that once you know where to go, and what plasmid combos are devestating (wrench plasmid upgrades and chameleon plasmid for example), the game gets a bit too easy, even on hard.

Still, it remains a lot of fun.

bkmvlswe
09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Only just started the game, got it in a metal dvd box, kind of cool and, game looks good so far.

However i felt the clouds and sky that you can see before entering the tower looked bit bad compared to the water / fire.

byte_fx
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Just finished the game today. It was great. I think I'll go an replay it but this time I'll do it differently. I think there are multiple endings depending on how you play it.

That is correct.

byte_fx

iconoclasty
09-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I haven't yet heard anyone articulate what affords the game so much hype beyond it's unique story and artistic direction. I only played through the demo but found myself wholly unimpressed. Not bad per-se, but nothing exceptional. I found the combat to be particularly weak.

So can anyone decribe what specifically they liked about it so much, or do the levels just get really fun after the demo?

Matt
09-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I played the demo the other night, nice take on the FPS, very imaginative.

Also played World in Conflict demo too, that IS nice!

IMI
10-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I just got it, just started it. Loads of fun so far, and the sound is amazing. I haven't really been into FPS's, but Half-Life 2 kind of took me there and a few days ago when Steam was begging for my attention I decided to browse around.
I really like the whole ambiance of Bioshock - very different from the games I've been used to playing.

Damn, I'm not gonna get anything done today. ;)

IMI
10-29-2007, 05:50 PM
So can anyone decribe what specifically they liked about it so much, or do the levels just get really fun after the demo?

Well, I didn't try the demo, but it's just the first part of the game, from what I've read.
I'd have to answer that question then with a resounding YES! It gets tremendously fun, as well as considerably more difficult.
But, what I liked most about it, aside from its originality, story and great graphics, is that you do have to do a good deal of thinking and planning. You have only so many gene tonic and plasmid slots, and have to judge what is going to work best.
And there's a definite strategy behind deciding when to hack the cameras and guns to use to your best advantage. There's more, of course....

It has an intriguing story, nothing particularly trite, and rather original, not to mention... it has emotion. It seems to be able to make you think about what you've done, what you've been, how you've acted.

I got suckered into the "bad ending", which genuinely made me regret my actions. That's kind of powerful for a video game, and it's not like I'm some kind of game junky. :D

Going for the "good ending" now, and am looking forward to seeing what that's all about. :)