PDA

View Full Version : Computer Horror Stories

eagleeyed
08-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Well here is another one of these stories that happened to me today, I open up this thread to anyone who has ever had a Computer Horror Story!! Dom, Dom, Doooommm. :)

Here is mine:

Well basically, this is the first time in 3 weeks I have opened up LightWave, I actually wanted to do some animation for a change :D.

Well about 10 minutes into making one of my models for my short film one of the most annoying things happen, this is never a good sign if the light stays on next to you. My computer just died. . . . . . . . . Just those four words should mean so much to everyone on here.

Well pretty much I was not a happy chappy. Having experienced more and more random restarts I knew this was coming, still was unexpected though. Pretty much I have worked it out to be a Power Supply failure.

I however am taking this as an excuse to update the four year old computer by buying a completely new one, while still replacing the power supply to make it a render node.

I hopefully will get a nice surpise when the renders that took ages on my Pentium 4 2.8Ghz go down to a very short time on my new Core 2 Duo E6550.

Well that is all for mine, it is quite a simple one yet caused me so much grief, I am now down over $1000 bucks, which being a Year 12 student is a hell of a lot to me.

Dodgy
08-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Get a quad, they've dropped well low in price...

Skinner3D
08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Not really a horror story, but my computer was shutting off anytime I tried to do something processor heavy. When I took it into the repair people we found out that I had been trying to do Lightwave (and everything else) with a CPU fan that was running at one-sixth its normal rpm.:D
Definately got that fixed and now my computer is not in danger of melting down.

eagleeyed
08-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Well I actually just did, I am assembling it now, cant wait to actually have a decent animation computer :)

Bog
08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've crawled out from under the desk with a discharged CO2 bottle, but I've found out a lot of interesting things with using kit pretty hard - BFG graphics card fans go "crunch" when the hub's carbonised. SMT components make pretty tinkling noises as they melt off the motherboard and drip onto the case floor. There's a unique and unmistakable smell of "New PSU Time", hubless fans are dust-magnets (which then cooks and makes a different type of "crunch" noise), and it's worth putting your external hard drives where you can hear them.

I guess the problem is that whilst most people use their computers like a commuter uses their car - into work and back, lots of being parked in traffic, the occasional trip to the Kwik-E-Mart at weekends - we animators would be equivalent to rally drivers. We keep the things wide-open and screaming for hundreds of hours at a stretch.

Therefore, computers are consumables ;)

shrox
08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
"...Then, as the boyfriend came around to open the girl's car door handle, there hung a bloody DIMM module! Ahhh!!!"

Steamthrower
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
The aroma of fried graphics card is a familiar one to me. ATI's tend to be on the more "nutty" side, whilst nVidia cards have a definitive charcoal flavor.

Slacky
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I remember plugging an old soundcard into my old Amiga years ago, whilst talking to somebody. That card never worked again.

Note to self....pay attention whilst plugging electrical stuff in.

Bog
08-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Computers run on smoke. Once the smoke is released, the computer no longer works.

Buy new smoke containers.

sammael
08-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Yep my pc was fried by the PSU a couple of years ago, the faint smell of acrid smoke followed by a few components popping and the thing just stopped. I opened the case and the power cable plug where it connects to the motherboard was on fire. I was doing some fairly hardware intensive lightwave work at the time, all new hardware as well. Ever since that athlon xp 2700 has run as hot as blazers and fried another power supply in turn, I still have it but im not plugging it in until I feel the need to make an insurance claim.

Steamthrower
08-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Okay, this is a true story. It's stupid, but people are stupid, right?

A lighting consultant is at a jobsite. The light fixtures have had serious problems and the electrician has called for help. Together, they take a control panel out of the wall. All the while the consultant is helping the licensed electrician do his work.

They open the control module to find acrid smoke pouring forth from the depths. Something has naturally burned up.

"Man," says the electrician, in a redneck brogue. "The smoke's got out."

"What?" asks the consultant.

"The durn smoke's got out from the wires 'cause my wire nuts were loose. When ther smoke gets out there ain't no way to push it back in."

"Uh...so?"

The electrician looks at the consultant like he's an idiot. "Wal when the smoke's got out, the #%&! thing ain't gonna work no more."

The bad thing is, I'm not exaggerating here. At all. And the electrician wasn't joking. At all.

art
08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
This was some time ago. I decided to clean my keyboard while the PC was running with the keyboard still connected (I know, very stupid of me). I physically removed the keys to get better access to dirty parts and used damp cloth to wipe the dirt off. While cleaning the computer powered off suddenly. To my horror I found out that not only the keyboard was dead, but 2 hard drives were fried, one of them SCSI, quite expensive at the time. That was a very bad day.

eagleeyed
08-28-2007, 11:05 AM
This was some time ago. I decided to clean my keyboard while the PC was running with the keyboard still connected (I know, very stupid of me). I physically removed the keys to get better access to dirty parts and used damp cloth to wipe the dirt off. While cleaning the computer powered off suddenly. To my horror I found out that not only the keyboard was dead, but 2 hard drives were fried, one of them SCSI, quite expensive at the time. That was a very bad day.
Ouch, I must admit that is a dreadful story. My one at the beginning of this I must confess came from a silly mistake. I did not turn away from the computer when I sneezed with a mouth full of Milky Tea, alot went on the Keyboard, the rest on the screens.

Now I did the natural thing to me and instantly reached for the power switch on the wall, the tea either weakened the PSU which died later that day (still using the tea coated keyboard as I speak), or the act of turning it off at the power while it was still running killed it.

Dont know, and dont really care now, I have a new computer and loving it. Dual Core, 2GB Ram, Vista (used to hate, (I did use it in beta), now I love) 700GB of Hard Drive and a 8600GT Graphics Card. Very Happy. Oh, and the computer that had the Dead PSU now is a render node.

TheDynamo
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh let me count the ways...

There was the gateway computer I purchased for college that I mistakenly placed too close to a heating duct (The hard drive kept dying due to heat exhaustion, erasing a few good class projects and a kickin game of doom)

Then there was the SCSI drive on my Softimage workstation back in 97 that decided to physically destroy itself. A disk error came up I did what folks normally do when you get one, run scandisk. Well it would appear that the drive head decided that it was better served as being a hammer because for each sector it scanned, it damaged beyond repair. This subsequently destroyed nearly 2 weeks of 3D work (this caused my then boss to decide that CD Burners aren't so expensive after all and bought one).

If anyone remembers Cyrix processors, I used to have one that would shut the computer down if the temperature in the room reached over 75 degrees F. When you live in an uncooled 3rd story flat, that seemed to happen pretty frequently.

Or the Macintosh Cube which hard drive went bad and made the computer go from silent to 1950's refrigerator in noise levels. :)

And those were the more memorable ones.

-Dyn

Padge
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
My wife recently put the washing machine on when we went bed
when I got up in the morning the kitchen and half the lounge were flooded
we had people from the insurance come and sucked all the water up and left us with fans and de-humidifiers to dry the place out.
The thing is I was still using my computer through all this not thinking the the comp was sucking all the moisture in (it wasn't actually touched by the water) until it went bang.
So I claimed on the insurance and managed to have my AMD 3000+ 64 replaced by a 600 quad core - and thats not all!
The insurance left me my old comp, I thought the motherboard had blown but
when I checked it was only the power supply- so I've still got my old comp as well!

Dave Jerrard
08-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Windows is installed on mine. Nuff said?

He Who Hasn't Liked Working With Computers Since The Amiga Days.

Steamthrower
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
You know, you could always download the Amiga OS and relive those days ;)

Dave Jerrard
09-01-2007, 10:04 PM
You know, you could always download the Amiga OS and relive those days ;)
Without the Amiga hardware, it's not the same. I still have to wait for 2 minutes or so for the damn machine to boot up. I still have to deal with the same hardware BS. I'm still limited to only drive letters for hard drives, and I've only got one free letter left there (card readers and thumb drives can fill up those slots fast). And it's still running on Windows, so all the base problems are still present. Running the OS through emulation is like putting sugar on poop - I still don't want to 'consume' it.

He Who Remembers Windows Infecting Other Drives He Wasn't Even Installing To With System Files.

DogBoy
09-03-2007, 04:10 AM
slight change of subject, but gives you the horror I live with at work.
My boss sent me this last week when our ADSL went down:

Hi Dan as Im without spam today and you say the internet is down that must be the spam route- yes? Is there anyway we can separate our e-mail from internet activity?

Users! Can't live with them! Can't shoot 'em!

Lightwolf
09-03-2007, 04:32 AM
I'm still limited to only drive letters for hard drives...
Nope, your not. You can link a hard drive as a folder onto an existing drive without using a drive letter. Check the disk manager (I'd walk you through it, but with a German OS I'd need to translate the GUI properly first).

Cheers,
Mike

Dave Jerrard
09-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Nope, your not. You can link a hard drive as a folder onto an existing drive without using a drive letter. Check the disk manager (I'd walk you through it, but with a German OS I'd need to translate the GUI properly first).

Cheers,
MikeI tried that. Unfortunately that route leaves you with no way to tell how full a drive is.

He Who Has Yet To Discover What The Wow Is That Microsoft Keeps Takling About.

Ember
09-03-2007, 07:53 AM
I tried that. Unfortunately that route leaves you with no way to tell how full a drive is.

Right click, properties. From there beside "Type: Mounted Volume" there is another Properties-button which will open the exact same window as you'd get if you'd mounted your harddrive into a drive letter. Thus you'll see the pie chart and how much space there is left.

Back to topic:

About half a year ago my computer suddenly died and this loud electrical sizzling could be heard from it. Obviously I hurried to turn off the power from the PSU and opened the case to find out about the damage. Nothing visible could be seen, so I took my harddrives with me and went to my friend's place to recover the data. If you didn't already guess it, all of my harddrives were fried (boy did I learn about the backuping then!). Later I also found out that my mobo was fried (not a big suprise), graphics card was fried (thanks to the extra power cable directly from the PSU) and so on. Pretty much everything which had been directly in contact with the PSU via a power cable was fried. No need to mention that I had a deadline that friday... Managed to do the work with my laptop in a hurry but I indeed did learn my lesson about backuping. Better safe than sorry.

NVentive
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
I had some variable-speed fans in my VT system that had some faulty sensor resistors -- it took us most of a year, a pile of cash, and three mobos to find the problem. Ach.... It took another 18 months of constant tweaking and tuning to finally get the machine to work right.
On the other hand:
Many years ago, I was on a three-day location job with my trusty Amiag 2000/Vt system, and did not realize that during transport, the side of the Amiga case managed to get pushed in a bit. During initial startup, the VT board shorted and the machine caught fire. We got the fire put out and discovered that, even with a hole in the VT card, the thing still worked! We could not do framestores or CG's, but we could still run the job. Newtek fixed the card (long out of warranty) and enclosed an invoice marked "No Charge."
Even though I really loath windows, I will always go with Newtek....

lvsoule
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
That's why I run Mac for anything except the Toaster. I've ran Mac along with PC for 7 years now and the Mac hands down smokes the PC. There just isn't as much software for the Mac.

mrunion
09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
@Dave Jerrard

The "Wow Factor" of which they speak is the one you get when you look back at how much money you've given them to get what you got now!

mattclary
09-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I am now down over $1000 bucks, which being a Year 12 student is a hell of a lot to me.

Actually, you were probably just down $50 for a new power supply. Random restarts culminating in a machine just dying, pretty much = bad power supply.

What brand PS are you putting in your new machine?

eagleeyed
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Actually, you were probably just down $50 for a new power supply. Random restarts culminating in a machine just dying, pretty much = bad power supply.

What brand PS are you putting in your new machine?

Yeah, I figured that out now, that pretty much means though that the power supply I brought (Thermaltake 430W) was pretty much stuffed from the beginning, it just took it 8 months to give up.

For the old machine which is now a render node I just put the PSU that came with the new computers case which is the same as before (Thermaltake 430W), this one works fine.

For the new computer I have put a 550W CoolerMaster one in there, it is running alright and I have run the system to the maximum with no problems.

As for the money, that other computer is 4 years old, it was time to upgrade when the time came, the PSU just pushed me nearer.

mrpapabeis
09-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Are you all insane? Never speak evil of your computers! They monitor everything. They compare notes about thier owners...

I love my Mac, I love my Mac, I love my Mac, I love my Mac.

(God I hope this works)

Jim_C
09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Here's one from just last night.
In a rush to do things and caused it myself......

This my daily internet/email/surfing basic grfx work p4 3.0 system....

I swapped out an old ps2 keyboard for a new one without turning off the computer. yes, yes, should have known better because you usually have to reboot to recognize a new ps2 device anyway........

Well I unplug the old and as I plug the brand new keyboard in, my motherboard lets out a heinous beep and poooffff... computer falls silent.

After MUCH testing and trying stuff, I got the computer back up but I...
-completely fried an old 5200 nvidia card dead. Won't work in any system now.(I had 2 vid cards in there)
-Trashed a cheap little audio card I was using, (dead in all systems)
-and killed the ps2 mouse that was plugged in. (dead, dead gone)
-Both the keyboard and mouse ps2 ports are dead. Have to use USB now.

All from simply plugging in a ps2 keyboard with the power still on.
I know.. sounds crazy.. and I wish I could say I was making it up...
I mean, I REALLY wish I could say I was making it up........... :(

Jim

eagleeyed
09-07-2007, 09:00 PM
In response to Jim_C's story all I can say is OUCH!!!!!!

That never happened to me and I was consistantly changing PS2 devices over while the computer was on, did it for 3 years until the power supply gave up on the laptop, could not be bothered paying $300 for a new one.

I feel your pain!!!!!

inquisitive
09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
That's why I run Mac for anything except the Toaster. I've ran Mac along with PC for 7 years now and the Mac hands down smokes the PC. There just isn't as much software for the Mac.

I have a Mac question and a story (to keep in topic). Can the blue/white G3 Macs read regular Mac floppies by using a USB Drive? (got an old powerpc7200 I want to replace - all my mac midi software is on floopies -b/w g3 doesnt have a floppy drive)
hehe i guess this is another horror story in itself too!

Horror Story ? Maybe it was but then again.. you know they say if you have something in your room and you have not used it in three months throw it away/sell it. So what happens to all those cool files, bookmarks found in your HD that you have not looked at for three years? lol

A couple of years ago I was dualbooting a Win/Linux machine and while in Linux as root ran a command to create a some sort of virtual disk, only to discover when i booted back into win, that i had mistakenly used a windows partition.. luckly most of the stuff there was exactly that, files, bookmarks that I hadn't used in years.