PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity problems

Slacky
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Hi. I'm new here. I'm running LW 8.5. My computer isn't the fastest (1.6ghz and 768mb of RAM). I recently pressed the magic F10 key for the final time on a scene I've been working on for a while. Infact technically you could say it took about 4 years as i did make most of the main model about 4 years ago in LW 3.5 on my Amiga. Anyway.....Its been updated, but there was no real need to do a massive amount to it, so the polygon count for the scene (well the main layer, without landscape backdrop) is just less than 5000 and only 1 light source. It was rendering at something like 1400 X 1100 (roughly) I left my computer on for about a week, and yet it was still on pass 1a of 9. I stopped it as it seemed like it was achieving nothing. Is there a way of faking the radiosity? All it is is a plane flying above a landscape, with some water below it and a simple sky for both reflection and radiosity. I have rendered very small images in the past and they look good. The landscape is already rendered. I was rendering it with the landscape as a background layer, and a very simple version of the ground which is not visible to the camera. This is annoying the hell out of me as I'm trying to make a calender and this is only my 2nd image!

Thanks
Nick

Slacky
08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh yeah, that attachment is a very old version of the model. Almost unaltered from my LW 3.5 model. Especially the cockpit! :)

Dodgy
08-25-2007, 12:21 PM
What settings are you using? You might need to turn on interpolated and set a Min evaluation spacing depending on the size of your scene. Shouldn't be taking that long :)

Lewis
08-25-2007, 01:04 PM
What settings are you using? You might need to turn on interpolated and set a Min evaluation spacing depending on the size of your scene. Shouldn't be taking that long :)

On a LW 8.5 ? - yes it could take very loong on that machine + 8.5 :). Basically it'll be good to use old radiosity trick with spining lights and shading noise reduction + motion blur. Or better - upgrade to 9.3 and do it FAST :).

Slacky
08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I really can't afford to upgrade right now. That'll have to wait. First priority at the moment is keeping my stupid car on the road for my business. If it weren't for this bloody thing my life would be a lot easier. NEVER buy a Renault Clio! Its only a 2002 as well......Anyway back to the matter in hand. For some weird and wacky reason I seemed to have over looked the fact that radiosity has settings. Anyway. I'll have a play with them. Thank the lord and all his toes I can render in layers as this scene wouldn't be finished before LW 20.5 was released if I rendered it with the rockets and hypervoxels!

I need a new computer!

ndrangesh
08-30-2007, 05:27 AM
G'Day slacky
why don't do a slight bit of research on how a single light is being bounced by radiosity. like a light source and where it hit the surface directly and from there where it would bounce indirectly on to another surface.

a box from a card board or styrofoam and create a hole allow the light in and you look from another hole how light is being bounced around
also keep a colored object in and see how the color of the object is being radiated on to the inner walls of the box.
keep the inner wall white so you know where the light is bounced around.
sorry for this childish explanation but it works, try it.
ones you understand this, we can fake Radiosity

"don't take me for the miniature killer from CSI Lasvegas"

HTH