PDA

View Full Version : License question

CaptainHarlock
08-25-2007, 12:18 AM
I have Lightwave on the PC with the USB dongle. I was wondering if it was within the scope of the license for me to be able to install a second copy on my laptop. They would share the same dongle, so I could only use one installation at a time. (this would be a 'per user' license scheme). The license agreement mentions multiple machines with a shared common drive, but not individual disconnected machines. However, the license states: "This License allows you to use one copy of the Software on a single computer at a time." But it does not expound on this except in reference to computers that share a common drive in a networked environment.

Thanks for any clarification,

-Mike :lwicon:

cagey5
08-25-2007, 02:35 AM
You're right, and many people use it in just that way. i.e. copies on more than one machine and the dongle to enable as required.

CaptainHarlock
08-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I guess the next question then is will I need to obtain a new activation key for the secondary install, or will the previous one work. (is the key generated based on the dongle only or on the dongle and some sort of CPU ID)

--Mike

iconoclasty
08-25-2007, 02:42 PM
It's based on the dongle. You can use the same license key for each computer. Unless one is a 32bit and one is 64, they require different keys, but are easy to register.

jaf
08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Guess this is a good place to ask this quetion -- I was going to try a search because I'm sure it's here somewhere.

Anyway, I would like to install the win32 version of 9.3 on my x64 system (along with the already install x64 version.) I know I have to go through the registration system to get a separate key for the 32 bit version, but what about configuration files? Will they be shared (between the x64 and x32 versions (my x64 version ses the default installation?) Or should I use the "-c" switch to set up a separate Configs folder?