PDA

View Full Version : sigh...newtek can't even take advantage of great features!!! as of 9.3 we have...

jin choung
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
drum roll please...

OPENEXR SUPPORT!!! BUILT IN!

first, thanks newtek! great job on this great new feature.

second, boy do you guys have a problem with picking features to hype!

you guys at times pick really inane things to champion and at other times, you have a great feature like openexr support that people had to pay good money for to buy a plugin to use and yet i hear mum about it!

ARGH!

anyhoo, let it be known.

jin

danielkaiser
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Yea but you still need EXRTrader if you want layered export.

jin choung
08-25-2007, 12:23 AM
that's fine. that's extra.

but i always thought it was bunk to need to buy a plugin for basic file format support.

now i've got nuthin' to [email protected]#$ about and people have openexr functionality.

jin

Sande
08-25-2007, 01:12 AM
I think most people would feel quite cheated, if NewTek would hype LW's current OpenEXR support.

wp_capozzi
08-25-2007, 01:55 AM
<homer simpsom mode> Mmmmmmm, openEXR </homer simpson mode>

RedBull
08-25-2007, 02:22 AM
second, boy do you guys have a problem with picking features to hype!

you guys at times pick really inane things to champion and at other times, you have a great feature like openexr support that people had to pay good money for to buy a plugin to use and yet i hear mum about it!
jin

Most people remember paying for OpenEXR support in LW8.x, which was not delivered, so perhaps they thought hyping a feature which was listed in the last list of paid upgrades, didn't actually warrant a second hyping..... :)

Thankfully LW's third parties A'KA Lightwolf, managed to go beyond the basic necessity, and gave us enhanced OpenEXR support as well..

Lightwolf
08-25-2007, 04:10 AM
EXRTrader is free, if you just want to output "flat" files (Thanks Mike).

No need to whine about having to buy a plug-in for that. It was not the case.
Thanks, I was just going to jump in ;)
Actually, the idea with the basic loaders/savers in exrTrader was to provide functionality for free that NT didn't deliver out of the box back then.

Cheers,
Mike

xav
08-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Haven't tried this, but it seems that we could have full access to openxr within AE CS3..

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/

Cheers,
Xavier

Exception
08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
You know it could be a conscious decision to make openEXR support not full fledged. See, EXRTrader is not that old and perhaps it would cut off a valuable source of revenue to a third party that would then feel seriously shafted. If full fledged support is wanted, a third party is supported that is very valueable to newtek (think of the great other plugins they make). So, they might wait a while before stepping up the OpenEXR plugin, to not stab third party in the back...

Lightwolf
08-25-2007, 10:19 AM
So, they might wait a while before stepping up the OpenEXR plugin, to not stab third party in the back...
I wouldn't read too much into it. If a feature makes sense for NT, they will implement it... if it makes sense for us to develop something, we will do the same.

Cheers,
Mike

Limbus
08-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Wasnt there a free OpenEXR Plugin around for years? I think it was from Rainmaker or something.

Florian

Lightwolf
08-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Wasnt there a free OpenEXR Plugin around for years? I think it was from Rainmaker or something.

Yes, there was. But Win32 only, based on an older version of OpenEXR and it also required you to copy a few DLLs along, which made it a bit harder to properly install on a farm.
There's also a few other, minor, differences.

Cheers,
Mike

Exception
08-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I also have to say Jin, that I'm glad you like the plugin, and I agree that netwk could've made a much bigger deal out the the total release, but why does this have to be discussed in such a negative setting? Why so bleak? you know how many people come and check out the forums that we're unaware of? Seeing negative posts about something positive isn't going to make them consider investing in Lightwave...

We all have a part to play in this as well. The community is one of LW's strongest points, but sometimes for outsiders it's hard to read through all the bickering and complaining.

jin choung
08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
because it bugs me.

i haven't heard ONE WORD of open exr being in 9.3 and in the new releases pdf, it is BURIED under a mountain of SSS nodes.

it does indeed make me think that there's some kind of conspiracy going on.

sure, there probably isn't one but... geez.

it's an expression of general frustration at newtek's apparent (imo of course) tone deafness.

jin

Lightwolf
08-25-2007, 04:08 PM
because it bugs me.

Then again, what do you expect them to announce? We finally included it after we announced it for 8.0? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

jin choung
08-25-2007, 04:22 PM
yeah that's true.

but saying that and including a brief apology and explanation would be a lot better than burying it imo.

better to finally slake the thirst of the thirsty instead of bringing the water bucket (finally) and hiding it.

jin

-EsHrA-
08-26-2007, 03:15 AM
its a hidden feature! psssst! :)

mlon

Sande
08-26-2007, 11:20 AM
but saying that and including a brief apology and explanation would be a lot better than burying it imo.

better to finally slake the thirst of the thirsty instead of bringing the water bucket (finally) and hiding it.

You do realize that there's not yet much to hype about? The current implementation doesn't utilize any of the features (like different lossy/lossless 16bit/32bit per channel compression-modes and multiple channels) that make OpenEXR such a nice format. NewTek included a very basic OpenEXR support in 9.3, which I think is nice, but it would be a bit misleading to pick this as a feature to hype about at it's current state...

Lightwolf
08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
The current implementation doesn't utilize any of the features (like different lossy/lossless 16bit/32bit per channel compression-modes and multiple channels) that make OpenEXR such a nice format.
Shall I mention that you get all of that... except for multiple channels... for free in exrTrader? :D

Hm, maybe not ;)

Cheers,
Mike

jin choung
08-26-2007, 01:49 PM
very cool.

for me, i just wanted the ability to use openexr resources and then just render using the 16/32bpc file format for use in external compers....

in some cases, rendering in in hdr obviates the need for all the channels anyhoo... you have enough info in the base render to play around in your comp app.

jin

theo
08-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Jin, you're weird. :thumbsup:

jin choung
08-28-2007, 12:08 AM
i prefer "strange".

or any combination of "disturbingly erotic" or "erotically disturbing".

jin

Sande
08-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Disturbingly disturbing? ;)

Lightwolf
08-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Disturbingly disturbing? ;)
:ohmy: somehow I was thinking the exact same thing...

Cheers,
Mike

theo
08-28-2007, 07:30 AM
i prefer "strange".

or any combination of "disturbingly erotic" or "erotically disturbing".

jin

Hmmm... Erotic is NOT the first thing that comes to mind when viewing two ferrets clamped to the chest of a male. This scene could only be disturbingly erotic if the ferret people were clamped to the chest of a rather scantily clad, pretty female and one of the ferrets was chewing on her nipple or something. I think if this was indeed the case I would be back-pedalling with the butt cheeks while holding on the desk here. A sweet-jalapeno kind of eroticism. OR maybe a Thai massage while lying on a bed of slippery eels kind of eroticism. Yeah, that's it.

[looks up from keyboard and glances left and right, hail-sized drops of sweat rolling down forehead] "Are we still in a 3D forum?"

monovich
08-28-2007, 11:56 AM
this thread seems like it is complaining about nothing. We've got every EXR option we want now.

Thanks Lightwolf, because you were there first, and thanks Newtek... I guess.

Lightwolf
08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Lightwolf, because you were there first, and thanks Newtek... I guess.
Actually, Rainmaker were, at least on Win32. But anyhow, you're welcome.

Cheers
Mike