PDA

View Full Version : How to make a licence key?

Sarford
08-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi All,

I had a few disk problems with my iMac and so I wiped the disk and installed the OS again. This is as good a time as any to switch to 9.3 I figured so I downloaded and installed it (the UB version).

But since my disk was wiped I don't have an old licence.key file anymore. How can I get a new one?

Maybe, if time permits, can NewTek smooth this process a bit. Why not add a 'enter licence code' menu item on the menu bar? It is always the same mess when updating, it is unnecesary complicated to enter your licence code.

Steamthrower
08-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Open up TextEdit and enter your code into it (1111-1111-1111-1111 or whatever it is). Then save it as "license.key". Remember to spell license with an S because that's the American spelling. And also don't name it "license.key.txt".

This should work....I hope.

Chilton
08-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi,

1) Plug in your dongle
2) Open the Help menu in the Mac menubar.
3) Choose the last item, 'Enter Unlock Code...'
(FYI, we had a discussion about the name of this item today, and it will probably change to 'Enter License Key' in the near future)
4) Enter your license key and hit 'OK'

Done ;-)

-Chilton

Sarford
08-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi inigo07, thanks for your help. It was the spelling wich I had wrong (licence instead of lincense) Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Chilton, Thanks for your explanation. Good to see this process of licencing is getting straightend out. This function is only in Layout by the way, not in Modeler. And when I use it I get this message (see picture), And this is on a clean machine.

And thanks for 9.3 UB, great job!

Chilton
08-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi,

Hi inigo07, thanks for your help. It was the spelling wich I had wrong (licence instead of lincense) Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Chilton, Thanks for your explanation. Good to see this process of licencing is getting straightend out. This function is only in Layout by the way, not in Modeler. And when I use it I get this message (see picture), And this is on a clean machine.

And thanks for 9.3 UB, great job!

Well, that's annoying. I'll look into it.

-Chilton

Phil
08-25-2007, 07:39 AM
LScripts are pretty busted in UB LW 9.3, it seems. SkyGen also fails to run.

JeffRutan
08-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks! I just had the same problem trying to install on my MacBook Pro and ONLY the manual file creation method worked.

One more tip: the license.key file must go in the SharedSupport subfolder for the UB version.

I also installed 9.3 on my Power Mac G5 and I used the PPC download there instead of the UB download.
That created a different set of files and folders and the license.key file needed to go in the programs folder there. Even the top bar menus in the PPC version are different...

Should I be using the UB version or the PPC version on my G5?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Chilton
08-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Should I be using the UB version or the PPC version on my G5?

DEFINITELY the UB version, unless you're relying heavily on 3rd party plug-ins that aren't on the UB yet. The UB is a major rewrite of LW's underlying Mac specific components.

-Chilton

JeffRutan
08-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks! I will redo my G5 install.
-Jeff

Chilton
08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Just FYI, the UB version keeps its prefs in different places now, so it won't overwrite an existing CFM 9.x install. You can keep the two on the same machine in harmony, as long as you don't run them at the same time (the Hub might get confused).

-Chilton

multipasser
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Just copying the license.key into the shared support folders works with 9.3 UB!
Be sure you dont have another .key in the programs folder, or it wont work.

Newtek plz fix the registration way. Just add the register.newtek utility that makes a proper .key with every mac release.

Chilton
08-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Multipasser,

The item in the application's help menu should be adequate. It's much simpler, and builds the file in the right place. I'm not sure why it failed on Sarford's though, and I'm looking into possible causes now.

-Chilton

Sarford
08-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi Chilton,

Is there something that I can do to assist you on that? If so, just gimme a mail at simon2 at dds dot nl.

anthony mazzeri
09-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Just a note.

.key is now the file extension for Apple's Keynote and will launch that app if the license file is double-clicked (for those who have/use Keynote).