PDA

View Full Version : Help fast Please

siproductions
06-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi guys I need help fast.
I have a project due in two days. It is a space scene and I have stars and a planet. I need the stars to have a glow radius of 2.5 but the planet needs a glow radius of 15.0

The glow radius control in LW is global. So Is there a plugin or script that will allow me to change the glow radius on a per object basis? or will I have to comp two renders together? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
SI Productions

Extent
06-25-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm sure there's some thrid party glow plugin you could use to get individual control, but I would just comp it. Or even better why not do the glow entirely in post?

siproductions
06-25-2003, 09:24 PM
How would you do it in post? I would love to do it there because it would save on render time. Also it is an animation.

toby
06-27-2003, 03:41 AM
oh, maybe duplicate the bright objects in another layer and blur the hell out of 'em

06-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Keep the glow for the stars and use a single point hyperfoxhole (or whaterver they're called) for the planet - you only need a low grade setting and it can look great.

marvin
06-27-2003, 10:57 AM
If you want to do it in post, you have to render things seperately and make sure they are as frames and 32 bit. For example, select all of the other objects in layout, go to their properties and check unseen by camera. Then when you render, you get just the stars. Then you can render the rest.

In a compositing program (I prefer After Effects), load in the two sequences with the stars above the rest of the vid. Then maybe add a glow to the stars layer, or adjust the levels, etc, until it looks the way you like.

marvin

siproductions
06-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!! I am just going to render my stars and then use that movie as a backdrop for my main scene with the planet. That way I can use different glow settings for each.

Thank you all.

Sincerely,
SI Produtions

dablan
06-30-2003, 09:08 PM
SI -

another option is to use Lens Flares for your stars. Not only can you vary the glow, you can animate them as well, so they "twinkle."

You can easily set up the lights right on the stars too. Open the stars in Modeler. Then, from the Construct tab, click the Additional drop down list and select Add Luxigon. You'll be able to add lights of your choice to the object's points. Then, in Layout, run the CovertLuxigons plug-in from the Generics drop down list, under the Additional tab.

You can use the Spreadsheet to adjust all the lights at once.

Hope that helps.

Dan Ablan
www.3dgarage.com

siproductions
06-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Dear Dan Ablan,
Thank you for your response. I am honored to have you reply to my post. I have long admired you and your skills, and would like to thank you for your book: Inside Lightwave 7. It has been a big help to me as I learn.

Your idea is an excellent one. I never thought of doing it that way. Next time I run into the same problem I will most certainly put your advise to use.

Sincerely,
Simon (Founder of Special Imaging Productions)

dablan
07-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Hey Simon -
no problem. Best of luck with the project.

There are always different approaches to getting the results you want out of LightWave.

Enjoy it! Have fun.

Dan

AGA Digital Studios, Inc.
www.3dgarage.com