PDA

View Full Version : Earth Texturing Problem.

evolross
08-24-2007, 08:53 AM
I made a 2000 poly sphere, downloaded a spherically-formatted NASA earth texture, converted it to TIFF, reduced the image by 50%, applied the texture to my sphere using spherical projection and everything looks great. (If I don't reduce the texture size, Lightwave crashes.)

What I want to do though is keep the TIFF the original resolution and only use the upper 1/4 of the original texture because that's all that my shot requires and I want the highest detail possible. So I cropped the canvas of the remaining 3/4's of the original image and I apply this only to the upper-right half of the sphere. The problem is I can never get this texture to apply properly to that quarter of the sphere. I'm still using spherical projection and no matter how I size or rotate, it's all screwed up and streched inappropriately. I have a feeling something is fundamentally wrong but I'm not realizing it.

:help:

fgreen
08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
UV's should make this a lot easier, providing you don't have to rotate too far around the sphere. Make a new sphere using the numeric panel with make UV's selected. Select 3/4's of the polys for deletion, making sure you don't delete a section from the middle of the UV map (see screen shots). If you can avoid showing the pole-area triangles in your camera view this should work pretty well.

stevecullum
08-25-2007, 06:58 AM
You can also try camera projection mapping.