PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Icarus...

Meshbuilder
02-08-2003, 04:47 AM
Hi... I have been playing with Icarus and done some compositing in Lightwave. Icarus is a free camera tracking software and can export camera motion files to almost any 3D program.
This is what I came up with..
http://www.vinyamar.com/~darkeden/meshbuilder/cp/test2b.mov

Here's the link to Icarus so you guys can play with it too..
http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/icarus/index.php

I love this new forum.. Great work Newtek.. :)

Memz
02-08-2003, 08:27 AM
That is so sweet. You did the composition very well. Looks real.. May I suggest it hit the car? ;) Good work!

Jockomo
02-08-2003, 09:37 AM
On the site it says, "The Professional Edition is not limited in the resolution of image and video files it can process."

What is the resolution limited to on the free version?

Mathias Stolley
02-08-2003, 02:46 PM
I found this :

" ICARUS Personal Edition is resolution-limited, and will not read movie files that are larger than PAL resolution (720x576). "

And by the way, thank you Newtek for the nice forum !

Cozfx
02-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Very cool! Gotta give that a try. -Coz

kevman3d
02-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Hehehe! That's cool, dude!!

Icarus really is one awesome toolset, specially as a free one to play with at home!

Its got some interesting tutes I haven't tried yet, but the ability to Mosaic a panned video into a large panoramic image map is very cool for people wanting to make environment maps...

Of course, it'll also clean up lens distortion in image maps (another handy texturing tool), map video onto geometry in the reconstruction package (making cool textures from video/photo) and apparently it will also stabilise shakey video - So forget that steadicam, let Icarus help make that video super-smooth to make compositing in LW easier! (Then you can add the shaking back in with LW!)

Definitely one cool tool to have in the arsenal!

anieves
02-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Hey meshbuilder, how long did it take you to learn this app?
I downloaded it but haven't really played with it.

I guess it allows you to export the camera track to LW as a .lws right?

Meshbuilder
02-10-2003, 01:12 PM
I don't know how to use it yet.. :rolleyes:
I used a example scene and exported the camera motion to LW..
But I have a couple of friends who told me that it's really simple to use.. :)

Titus
02-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Icarus is really easy to use, just place markers and jit a couple of buttons. In a couple of hours you can start doing your own stuff.

luka
02-11-2003, 01:17 AM
that looks very cool. The cars are cg right!

loebek
02-11-2003, 04:37 AM
How did you do the reflections?:confused:

It looks real! Like you had a camera on the street.

cu
loebek

Meshbuilder
02-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by loebek
How did you do the reflections?:confused:

It looks real! Like you had a camera on the street.

cu
loebek

In this video you can see how I made it..
http://www.vinyamar.com/~darkeden/meshbuilder/cp/test3.mov

I just added little boxlike cars to fake the reflection from the cars on the street.. I also use the backgroud image as a reflectionmap and the street reflects too..

Bionic Antboy
02-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Cool stuff! And thanks for the Icarus link!

I downloaded it this afternoon, and it's wicked easy to use! I plunked a character of mine into their building example, and it worked like a charm.

It's top of the list for the next software we buy at work.

Antboy

Whelkn
02-11-2003, 08:51 PM
I find that it never get a perfectly locked down shot. Meshbuilder do you have anywords of wisdom you could send my way. I've done the tutorials bit have'nt had to much luck with my own shots. Thanks

agv
02-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Meshbuilder, that's really fantastic! The shadows and the reflections make it look totally realistic! I too have been experimenting with Icarus. But I seem to have trouble getting the ground plane to adhere to the x and z axis. I followed the tutorial for using still images, but after setting my axis, the ground plane appears on a weird angle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ultimately, I am trying to recreate a miniature set in Lightwave so I can add effects to the shots. The real set is a secret headquarters model that is taking up half my garage. Bringing the set into Lightwave with the help of Icarus would be a great help.