PDA

View Full Version : G5 on order - some advice

Darth Mole
06-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Well, I've signed up for my dual 2.0GHz G5 and only have 7-10 week wait (sigh...)

As ever, I ordered the one with the minimum RAM config (512MB). If I'd added another 1.5GB, it adds 600 ($1,000) to the total.

Crucial (there are online stores in the UK and US) sell that extra 1.5GB for 193 inc. tax ($323) - no doubt you'll be able to find it even cheaper.

I know you LWers are a savvy lot, but there might be some newbies out there: don't buy your RAM from Apple!

js33
06-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Why does Apple charge 3 times the normal price for RAM.
Man what a rip off. Good thing you can now get it other places but that wasn't always the case.

Now if they would stop charging workstation card prices for gaming cards you might make some progess.

Well good luck with it. Want to see how LW runs on that badboy.

Cheers,
JS

paintboy
06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Darth,the chip merchant has the same 1gb kit for $195.usd
DDR ram must be installed in matched pairs(like the old days)
will you have to pull the 2 256's that come in it to use the 512's?
apples specs state" must be installed in pairs of equal memory size"
does that mean each pair must be equal... or all pairs must be equal?

http://CHIPMERCHANT.COM/apple-store-apple-memory-g5.html

hope it comes early for you! congrats>

Johnny
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Darth Mole
I know you LWers are a savvy lot, but there might be some newbies out there: don't buy your RAM from Apple!

but what about issues wherein the 3rd party RAM you buy isn't up to Apple or OSX spec, and begins to cause problems??

I agree, the Apple RAM charges are extortionate..

J

Darth Mole
06-25-2003, 03:44 PM
I think it means that it will come with two 256s and then I need to put in either two 512s or four. There are eight DIMM slots on the dual2, so it's not a huge problem.

At US prices I could afford to put an extra 2GB in!

Darth Mole
06-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Johnny - I've been using Macs at home for eight years: 7200, 8500, G3, G4, iBook - I've added RAM from all manner of suppliers and NEVER had a bad module or one that the machine refused to recognise.

I remember there were problems on some systems a while back, but Apple probably buys its DDR SDAM from the same supplier everyone else does ;)

paintboy
06-25-2003, 04:21 PM
this is gonna seem like a silly question(standard for me)
can you not buy from u.s. suppliers...i though this was a "world economy"
at least thats they keep telling us;)

Darth Mole
06-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Yeah, probably - the shipping and import duty puts the price, but it's worth checking!

murdoch
06-25-2003, 05:39 PM
greetings all.

i've run the gauntlet of flaky ram in OSX and it's a total total mare.

that all important overnight render, come the morning - vapourised. that 20 layer photoshop page illustration (that i just saved) - phooph - re-open it - corrupted. no amount of hardware testing ever threw up an error.

do we pay more because they test it more - i don't know, i'm guessing. it's apples no.1 response to kernel panic / application drop outs "are you using 3rd party ram?" i'm sure all the grief it cost me was way more than i saved in $'s.

i'd use 3rd party if i could be sure it's reliable - once bitten...

fingers crossed for you.

ps. anyone want to buy 512Mb of SDRAM - sweet as a nut in OS9 :D

Johnny
06-25-2003, 05:50 PM
murdoch's post is the kind of thing I was alluding to...

not that the ram wouldn't seat or wouldn't be recognized.

it's the creeping, increasing little problems that it can cause that get worse and worse and lead to disc corruption and lost files, wonky performance, etc.

who wouldn't want to stuff their mac with RAM at 1/5 the price??

but also, who wants their Mac to turn into an exploding sh1tbomb?

I had a friend recently have problems with his PB that sounded much like a bad RAM in OSX situation. wouldn't you know it happened during the heat of deadline pressure?

no bargain.

J

mlinde
06-25-2003, 05:54 PM
FWIW, Crucial was listed as a recommended 3rd party RAM supplier because they certified their supply somehow.

Ade
06-25-2003, 06:58 PM
best apple tip ever-

Never buy a first gen mac, always missing features, small bugs, always $500 extra...Always...

What I see bad in G5 that WILL be fixed next gen-

Only room for 2 HD's, 1 Optical drive.
Low end model no pci-x.

I hate when they bastardise a mac so you are forced to buy the mid range.

pixym
06-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Darth is right,

I have never bought ram from Apple but other manufacturer...

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 07:35 PM
STOP! Before you buy 3rd party RAM, check my previous thread about bad RAM:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5010

All RAM comes from Korea or Taiwan. RAM manufacturing is a cut throat business, and manufacturers don't have time to thoroughly test RAM any more.

The Apple RAM that comes factory installed in your new Mac has been through this extra testing process. They weed out bad RAM cards. This is what you're paying for. After some bad experiences (and productivity losses) with 3rd party RAM, I'm beginning to think this extra quality control is worth the price.

RAM faults can be hideous, and often people don't know it's the RAM causing their problems.

pixym
06-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Perhaps it is a chance story, but I have already bought 5 mac and I never had any problem with the ram I have bought to a third party manufacturer...

paintboy
06-25-2003, 08:20 PM
I have a DP800 Quicksilver,a Dp1000 quicksilver, and a g4500yos.
all packed to the gills with 3rd party ram(the chip merchant)
never had 1 sec problem(maybe i am just lucky)?
most reputable dealers will stand behind what they sell.
ask up front.
I have not had time to look but i bet apple's tech data list specific
requirements, ie: timing/standards certification etc. at least they use too.

Beamtracer
06-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by paintboy
most reputable dealers will stand behind what they sell.
I'm not sure about that. If you have a total "hard" RAM failure they will probably replace it.

But what if you get a "soft" failure... applications quit a bit more often, or you get a higher number of kernel panics than before, but the machine usually runs for an hour or two between crashes. Will they replace that? Especially if you can't reproduce the fault in front of them within 5 minutes.

You can get failures with any RAM, but Apple "factory" RAM is less likely to fail because of the extra testing that it goes through. You are paying extra for this extra testing.

Darth Mole
06-26-2003, 02:03 AM
I guess I've 1) been lucky, but 2) never bought from Sloppy Joe's Cut-Price RAM Emporium. They've always been failry big-name third-party suppliers who have a decent reputation and (somtimes) have certified their RAM.

Also, I gotta be honest, I only ever keep Macs for 18 months - 2 years, so maybe it's not long enough for the RAM to degrade.

I dunno - I think Macs like me. I rarely suffer crashes, downs, outs, corrupts or lost files. But then I'm not pushing them as hard as you guys.

Ade - my brain says you're right about 1st generation Macs, but my heart made me buy one! Besides, I've been patient for two years waiting to upgrade - just couldn't wait another 6 months...

paintboy
06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Hey beam,
is this the fabulous "apple testing" the same as the testing they
did with OSX.2 6 that made your ATi video card go flakey, so you had to go back to X.2.4? Hmmm..... i could go on, but i wont;)

this is just man made machinery, which means at some point
all or most of it will fail(usually at the worst time) and paying a premium to apple
does not:
a. make their ram less likely to fail than others.
b. mean that it will be less trouble if it does....apple is gonna
make you jump through the same hoops as anyone else
and the burden of proof will be on you.

Zarathustra
06-26-2003, 08:59 AM
I've purchased 3rd party ram for over the last 6 years for myself and advised companies I've worked for to do the same. I pretty much stick with OWC and they will happily replace any memory without a fight. I know this because last year I had my FIRST bad chip.

As long as you have the original Apple ram around to pop in for testing if something does get flakey, you should be OK.

We'll be anxiously awaiting your LW benchmark tests!

sketchyjay
06-27-2003, 10:11 AM
By now most of us know that mac are full of parts from the PC venders and that includes the memory.

Buy 3rd memory, just get it from a reliable 3rd party vender. Kingston for example. The only memory I've had problems with on a mac (I maintain 120 Macs of various models on a daily basis) has ocassionally been viking memory. From slowdowns to just up and quiting for no reason.

Not that there aren't other venders but that's been my experience with 3rd party chips.

We order alot of equipment from TekServ in NY, An apple shop that has sold us plenty of 3rd party chips that we've had no problem with so far. So go low on price...just not too low...!

Jay

archiea
06-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Over the years, Ramjet and crucial have been the best for me

Darth Mole
06-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Just looked at my online order and it had this on the part details:

Keybd Wired+Wired MS -B B065-4161

So, presumably, there's an un-wired mouse and keyboard coming??

js33
06-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Darth Mole
Just looked at my online order and it had this on the part details:

Keybd Wired+Wired MS -B B065-4161

So, presumably, there's an un-wired mouse and keyboard coming??

How do you get un-wired out of Wired+Wired?

Cheers,
JS

Beamtracer
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
The G5 is Bluetooth enabled, so a wireless mouse is a given.

fxgeek
06-29-2003, 11:01 AM
You can be lucky with cheap ram and you can be very un-lucky. And the faster the processor / system bus, the more taxing on the Ram.

I am of the opinion that you should buy the highest quality ram you can afford. Kensington seem to be one of the best manufacturers around and I know Apple used them for a while.

Apple use high quality componants so of course you are going to get cheaper, but this doesn't mean they are ripping you off. Just be very carefull if you are getting ram from a third party.