PDA

View Full Version : screamernet with dual quad core processor

SaT
08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Let's assume I want to render a single image on a network computer with dual quad core processors. Do I have to render it with only one thread or is it possible to use screamernet with more threads.
When setting the thread to 1 will there be great performance loss on such a machine?
Thanks in advance.

SaT
08-23-2007, 10:43 AM
I forgot to mention that I am not splitting the frame. The network computer gets the whole frame.

Scazzino
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
You should be able to use 1 thread and 8 instances of LWSN, but of course that will require 8 times the RAM as one instance of LWSN... or you could use 2 threads and 4 instances or 4 threads with 2 instances or 8 threads with one instance... it really all depends on how much RAM you have available and how much RAM is needed to render... each instance of LWSN requires its own allocation of RAM so running two instances needs twice the RAM as with one instance...

SaT
08-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your reply, Scazzino. So just to be sure, you say it is possible to use one instance with 8 threads? :hey:
I am asking because I have heard that ScreamerNet prefers one thread. But 8 threads on such a machine would be very nice.

voriax
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
It's definately possible to multithread Screamernet nodes. The nodes read the thread count from a CFG file, so you just have to make sure it's reading 8 threads from that file (or more if you want - up to 16).
As far as I know, Screamernet doesn't "prefer" 1 thread any more than a workstation version would when it is rendering.
Using advanced cameras works faster with multiple threads on your main machine because of the scanline rendering process. If single thread rendering was as fast, there wouldn't even be an option for multithreading ;)
I can't see how it would be any different on a render node...

SaT
08-24-2007, 02:04 AM
OK, thanks voriax. :thumbsup: