PDA

View Full Version : edge bevel not working & loop doesn't loop

stevenyc
08-22-2007, 11:46 PM
The Lightwave 9.2 edge bevel doesn't work anymore on my mac. I am able to adjust the thickness of the bevel but when I hit 'enter', nothing happens, the bevel is not created. I tried this on different objects with no luck.

The loop select command stopped working also. I tried deleting modeler's prefs, then reinstalled lightwave. Still, neither one works.

help!

Steve

Chilton
08-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi,

This sounds like a bug.

With the UB and forward, deleting prefs and reinstalling should have no effect on things. They either work right the first time, or there's a bug (generally speaking).

-Chilton

donski
08-23-2007, 01:38 AM
don't you have to right-click to accept the edge bevel? If you hit return, nothing happens. Just tried it in modeler 9.2, confirmed. Must right click to accept bevel.

stevenyc
08-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a mac, so right-clicking doesn't work in 9.2. I always used enter to complete the action for all tools.

Everything was fine until I had a problem with an edge of a simple tutorial object. It seemed like points from other polygons were connected to the points of the edge I was trying to bevel. I tried to problem solve the object but eventually rebuilt it. However, when I attempted to edge bevel the new model's edge, the bevel action would not take. I also tried using the bevel on primitives in new documents but that wouldn't work either.

As far as the loop select, in the past sometimes it would work and other times it would not. This was mentioned in a video tutorial in 'essential lightwave' also.

don't you have to right-click to accept the edge bevel? If you hit return, nothing happens. Just tried it in modeler 9.2, confirmed. Must right click to accept bevel.

Chilton
08-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I have a mac, so right-clicking doesn't work in 9.2.

Hold up! It should be working just fine. Do you mean that you don't have a multi-button mouse, that the right mouse button triggers something else (like Exposť), or that right mouse button works in other apps, and something is broken in LW?

Thanks,
-Chilton

stevenyc
08-23-2007, 11:53 AM
nope, no multi-button mouse. For the mouse's right click button, I use the command/alt key + click.

The edge bevel seems to be working now! This time I deleted all the NewTek '.com' modeler prefs. That seemed to do the trick. However, I am having the same problem as before I lost the edge bevel function.

Attached are screen-grabs. The first shows the points selected for the bevel. The second and third grabs show the edge bevel activated.

~s~

Hold up! It should be working just fine. Do you mean that you don't have a multi-button mouse, that the right mouse button triggers something else (like Exposť), or that right mouse button works in other apps, and something is broken in LW?

Thanks,
-Chilton

JeffrySG
08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I know it's besides the point, but if you're using any 3d app these days you'd be much better off using a multi button mouse. Most apps take advantage of left, right, middle and scroll wheel as well. Besides it being pretty much a standard nowadays you'll be much more productive as well...

Personally I use an inexpensive Dell mouse that has L R and clickable scroll wheel. It works fine on all of my macs and I love it... and I hate the mighty mouse as well... I have one sitting in my closet gathering dust...

stevenyc
08-23-2007, 12:20 PM
ok, ok, I will buy a multi-button mouse. I agree it will be more productive. I didn't know it worked on mac.

What about the edge-bevel/loop problem?

I know it's besides the point, but if you're using any 3d app these days you'd be much better off using a multi button mouse. Most apps take advantage of left, right, middle and scroll wheel as well. Besides it being pretty much a standard nowadays you'll be much more productive as well...

Personally I use an inexpensive Dell mouse that has L R and clickable scroll wheel. It works fine on all of my macs and I love it... and I hate the mighty mouse as well... I have one sitting in my closet gathering dust...

donski
08-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Yep, I too, working on a Mac, said "yes" to multi-button mice a long time ago and have never ever regretted it.

Edge bevel and loop working as expected.
LW 9.2 build 1165 (Mac32)
G5 OS 10.4.9
Logitech mouse
I also have a wireless mighty mouse, but very heavy

avkills
08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
The G5 at work still has the stock mouse in the packaging. The first thing I did was go steal a Logitech scroll mouse from the IT guys.

Steve Jobs is really resistant to multi-button mice for some reason.

-mark

donski
08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
going OT here but not only does the Mighty Mouse have the three buttons (though two are hidden) but the scroll button scrolls sideways.

Nigel Baker
08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi Steve,

Have you tried resetting your panel first and then using the tool.
I found that on my Mac this tool never worked for me.
Drove me crazy for some time. It interactively worked but never
excuted the command when set. Until I reset the panel.

Hope this gets sorted.

Regards,
Nigel.