PDA

View Full Version : Black & White methodology question

mlinde
06-25-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm working on a project that I will eventually make as a B&W short. Here's my question:

Do I develop the project full-color (surfaces, lights, etc.) and then convert the rendered frames to B&W, or do I just work in grayscale from the beginning?

I'm wondering if working in color then converting will give me a more accurate and diverse final piece when I convert it to grayscale. I've never developed anything but full-color before, but I know the world wasn't B&W when film was, so I'm wondering if that's the route to take.

Darth Mole
06-25-2003, 02:32 PM
My gut reaction would be to do it full colour and tweak afterwards, but then I do know that shooting and filming in B&W is a whole different discipline. Cinematographers have to take into consideration things like reds come out really dark, while blues - which may appear a similar level of intensity to the reds - come out much lighter. Stuff like that.

So you may want to do some quick tests - I guess at least by texturing and rendering in greyscale, you'll know exactly what you're getting...

(Of course, if you have an app like After Effects, you can alter the whole colour gamut, across each R/G/B channel, so you will have a lot of flexibility)

sketchyjay
06-25-2003, 03:42 PM
the black and white stuff i've seen are usually done in B&W

this way you know what you will get on camera and can focus on texturing (as in grunge, contrast etc)

Personally I would do it in B&W. It would just make it easier for me.

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Yeah, do it in black and white. The color will be a distraction to your work.

It's a bit like with texturing... you do your bump map before you tweak with the color channel, just so you can get a clean view of what you are doing without the distraction of colors.

Make sure you render out to one of the HDR image formats, like LogLuv of .flx. Then you have a greater ability to grade the pictures or change the gamma later on.