PDA

View Full Version : Shell function?

GandB
08-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Does anybody know of a function that will "hollow" out a cube, to create an interior of a small building? One of my other programs has such a function, and it's called "Shell". You can pick the thickness of the wall and everything. Then I use cubes to boolean out a doorway and/or window; like the image below. I have LWCAD 1.5, but haven't found something like that.

-Keith

Exception
08-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes there are several. You're going to have to try a few in order to get a nice orthogonal shell as it's not easy mathematically... You might want to find one which does the scaling/moving of the offset strictly according to polygon normal and not vertex position, as you'll get crooked stuff.

The ones I know of are Blochi's Thickener and Pictrix's R_thick. But there's more. Check out flay.com. all of them are free as far as I know.

Exception
08-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I've just tried this myself... blochi's is easy to use but will bend your house so it'll require a bit of manual clean up. Not a huge problem if you have snapping tools, and pictrix's edge mode does what you want but doesn't seem to work that well, and is a bit complex.

Andyjaggy
08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Blochi's works well but as you said it will always bend and distort geometry. Pictix's lift plugin works really well.

I have found the best way to do it is to copy the geometry then use the multishift tool to inset it. That way you have lots of control over how to inset the geometry. Then past the original back in merge points and done.

GandB
08-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. One of the ways I thought of doing it, was to simply place the model at 0,0,0...make a copy and reduce it's size slightly, then simply perform a boolean operation. I'll have a look at the ones you've given and keep at it. I could always use the shell function in the other program then import it into LW.

-Keith

Andyjaggy
08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Boolean bad. At least if you want a clean workable mesh. You could clean it up but then you might as well have done it the other way to begin with. But do whatever works. There is no right way.

GandB
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I should mention that these are Game objects that I'm working on; don't know if that makes a difference or not.

-Keith

Edit Oh my God that's a fat cat!!

Andyjaggy
08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Yep he is well fed.

GandB
08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
What are you feeding him....small children? :D

Surrealist.
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
There is an explanation of the multishift solution here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63026&highlight=thickener).

Andyjaggy
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Small cats.

GandB
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Rich, I'm checking out that thread now and I've re-downloaded the latest version of thickener (grabbed it awhile back).

-Keith

Surrealist.
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Cool. Also thickener allows for an inner and outer setting, however for me it does the same - always outer. So for arch. stuff you might have to use the multishift solution if you want to shift the walls in.

Andyjaggy
08-23-2007, 10:44 AM
multishift is a very good tool to become familier with. It has a lot of applications. I use it all the time.