PDA

View Full Version : Want professional graphics?

mlinde
06-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Send an email to the Apple store!
[email protected]

Here's my message:

Subject: Professional Macintosh Graphics

I'd like Apple to work with nVidia and/or ATI to produce professional cards based on the Quadro series of GPUs and/or the FireGL series of GPUs. As a professional 3D artist, I am tired of having to settle for a gamers graphics card for my 3D work.

Thank you for listening.
Michael Linde

brundlefly
06-27-2003, 05:03 AM
Yep, couldn't agree more. Hope Apple listens.

Andrew

Ade
06-27-2003, 05:48 AM
Steve Jobs did say there was support fopr ths now we have agp x8...

mlinde
06-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Steve Jobs did say there was support fopr ths now we have agp x8...

Hate to say it, but that's another crock of s***. It didn't take AGP 8x to have support for these processors on Intel/AMD PCs. It didn't even take AGP, there were older versions that were plain-old PCI. I've been looking at graphics cards since NuBus went away, and I haven't seen a card worth a damn. Back in the day (soft music begins) I had a great GPU in my Quadra 950, it sped up my Photoshop (2.5.1) editing amazingly. Then Apple started playing with PCI, and NuBus went away, and I haven't seen a quality graphic accelerlator in almost a decade, unless I looked next door at the guys sitting in front of the PC or SGI workstations.

Red_Oddity
06-27-2003, 09:55 AM
And it doesn't only need that, how about some decent OpenGL for a change, not this half arsed implementation we have now...
What good is a Wildcat videocard when Apples OpenGL implementation makes, for example, the GraphEditor freeze for a couple of seconds with every keyframe you select...

andrenozawa
06-27-2003, 12:45 PM
It doesn`t make sense having "the fastest computer "with the best mediocre graphic card...

Some stuff are missing on those G5...

Beamtracer
06-27-2003, 06:14 PM
The Panther OS contains the drivers for all the pro ATI and nVidea cards, including the Quadro.

It's already been done.

toby
06-27-2003, 06:48 PM
I thought the lack of Quadro (for example) availability was due to Nvidia not making them with mac rom - did they not have a 4xAGP version of the quadro?

mlinde
06-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by toby
I thought the lack of Quadro (for example) availability was due to Nvidia not making them with mac rom - did they not have a 4xAGP version of the quadro?

Originally posted by Beamtracer
The Panther OS contains the drivers for all the pro ATI and nVidea cards, including the Quadro.

It's already been done.

The drivers (OS) for the Quadro and FireGL may ship with 10.3 (Beam) but the issue is the ROM chip on the actual cards (toby). If you go out and buy a Quadro (say one of those sold by PNY) and put it in your mac, you've got an expensive slot cover for your AGP port.

This has always been true with any video card. You can't just go out and buy a PC version of the GeForce Ti 4, put it in your Mac, and play. You have to track down a copy of the Mac ROM for the Ti 4, flash the ROM from the PC version to the Mac version, then install the card. If you don't have a Mac ROM, the card is useless. Drivers exist (and have for some time) for the GeForce Ti 4, but the PC cards don't just work. The same rule applies to the Quadro and FireGL cards. So even if the nVidia and ATi drivers included with 10.3 have the calls to access the GPUs for the Quadro and FireGL, the cards don't have the firmware to understand those calls.