PDA

View Full Version : Particle-based Deformation Tutorial from 3D World

manproof
08-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Trying to get this tutorial to work from the latest issue of 3D World and am running into problems.

I have a collision plane, and under Object Properties>Deform>EditNodes I have a ParticleInfo node. When I double click on the node to select my emitter, my options are Current and Parent Item. Neither of these options are the emitter in my scene.

Anyone tried this tutorial and gotten it to work? I'm having a rough time reading the panels in the magazines screen shots, as they are very small.

Thanks,

-Adam

dpont
08-21-2007, 12:30 PM
There's another one here in DP_Kit:
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Denis.

UnCommonGrafx
08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
My experience is that they also have those forms on the cd in a a higher resolution.
Gotta look at that issue...

manproof
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am looking at the screen shot for the node settings from the disc, and their Particle Info node is taller than mine. I don't have some of the options that they do. Count, Particle Age and Relative Age are my 1st three options, and in 3D World's screenshot Position, Distance, and Size are the first 3 options. Am I using the wrong Particle Info node?

colkai
08-22-2007, 03:24 AM
you have checked the CD haven't you? Normally 3DW have full size shots in colour on the CD

dpont
08-22-2007, 05:40 AM
...in 3D World's screenshot Position, Distance, and Size are the first 3 options...

...This matches exactly the Particle Info node included in the DP_Kit.

Denis.

manproof
08-22-2007, 07:45 AM
dpont, thanks for the link. I have restricted intenet access at work so I couldn't download those (DP_Kit) until last night at home.

I think between the new node from DP and the screen shots on 3D World's disc I should be alright. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

-Adam

manproof
08-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Everything works now. DP_Kit's Particle Info node is awesome.

Thanks again everyone.

monovich
08-22-2007, 09:48 AM
now I want to see the tutorial!

-s

colkai
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
hehe, go to your local bookstore or WHSmiths and see if it's worth the cost of the mag. first. ;)

manproof
08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
monovich- check out the link in dpont's first post. Download the plug in on that page for a bunch of new nodes, including a new Particle Info node.

Make a scene with a sub-d plane and a particle emitter. Set the emitter up with some gravity, and set the plane as a collision object. Select the plane and open object properties. On the deform tab, check Edit Nodes and open the node editor. Add the new Particle Info node, double click on the node, and select your emitter. I won't go into everything from 3D World's tutorial, but the idea is to have a deformation driven by particle distance. Use some gradients/procedurals/whatever floats your boat, but in the end you want the Distance parameter from the particle info node running into your displacement input.

Good luck.

UnCommonGrafx
08-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Which version of the mag is this? I went looking today and the one I saw had no such tute...

Curious as I'd like to try it. Besides, always learning...

manproof
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
There is a well-wrinkled man on the cover.

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=418&id=4285&[email protected]@[email protected]&setext=magazine