PDA

View Full Version : Xeon E5365 vs QE6850 vs AMD Quad?

MacGregg
08-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Xeon E5365 vs QE6850... these are both 3GHz Quad core 8Mb cashes 1333Mhz FSB.... what is the difference other than the Socket 771 vs 775?

Do they have the same FP and Integer hardware? 5300 says it is for Servers and it is power efficient... 6800 is this the Quad workstation version?

I believe the 775 is the newer socket, any indication if it will work with next gen 8 core cpu's or will it be something new?

Anyone have a fav MB for these cpus.... any with dual CHIP's (8 core)?

Will AMD Quads be available and faster and/or cheaper in the next month?

Thanks,
Gregg

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Socket 775 is for dual socket boards, 771 is single socket only.
Other than that they are more or less identical.

The new AMDs should ship during the second week of September, but only at a fairly low clock - which means they might just be on par with what intel deliver currently.
Once AMD ramp up their clocks... who knows..

Cheers,
Mike

*Pete*
08-21-2007, 05:40 AM
the new quad core amds should fit into existing am2 sockets....right?

is it possible for me to switch from dual core to quadcore by simply changing to the never cpu, or is there some possible limitations within the motherboard?

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 05:44 AM
the new quad core amds should fit into existing am2 sockets....right?

is it possible for me to switch from dual core to quadcore by simply changing to the never cpu, or is there some possible limitations within the motherboard?
They should, probably after a BIOS update.
You won't get all the nice features the newer socket (AM3 I think) will offer, mainly separate voltages for each core (allowing the CPU to save more power by clocking down individual cores) as well as HT3 - but the later should have little impact on performance initially, and the former will just cost you a bit more energy in idle mode (and, honestly, you do 3d, right? A CPU running idle is a waste anyhow :D ).

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Actually, it's the other way around :)

Hehe, you're right. Serves me right for posting before looking it up...

Then again, I'm waiting for AMD as well ;)

Cheers,
Mike

MacGregg
08-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Ahhhh... Thanks Lightwolf and neverko I never got that socket difference.

Will any of these work with the inevitable 8 core packages?

Cheers,
Gregg

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Will any of these work with the inevitable 8 core packages?

I suppose neither intel nor AMD know. and since that is still a few years away... I'll just say no.
Also, upgrading a CPU only makes limited sense, since the peripherals evolve as well.

Cheers,
Mike

MacGregg
08-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Really... years? I was thinking it would be much faster than that since now there is limited competing on clock rate. They keep pushing the size down now but we don't get the same improvement in clock speed we used to. Seems like the only path to increasing performance will be cores... Intel was apparently demoing an 80 core chip, so I thought we were entering the multi core explosion... with fast incremental increases in cores.

Probably not all the same kind of cores as a current Xeon core, but Physics cores, GPU cores, small nimble risc like cores, vector math cores, an extra fast single thread core, ... We will just need the new computer science programming model to go with it so programmers can still write code for it without having a stroke.

Cheers,
Gregg

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Really... years?
Well, as far as intel is concerned 2008, and late 2008 I assume for the server version, which is not years but a yera (and probably needs new boards).

But I don't see them in hardware we'd use before 2009 - and let's hope that software will catchup, I'm still waiting for a full multi-threaded modelling and animation app.

Speciality CPUs are quite a different beast... then again, Sun has released the Niagara2, which seems to be extremely speedy as well - even when using floating point operations.

Cheers,
Mike

Sande
08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Speaking of many cores, Tilera announced (http://www.tilera.com/news_&_events/pr_070820.php) yesterday their new Tile64-processor featuring 64 cores. Apparently it can scale up to hundreds, if not thousands, of cores.

"The TILE64 processor contains 64 full-featured, programmable cores - each capable of running Linux - and delivers 10X the performance and 30X the performance-per-watt of the Intel dual-core Xeon, and 40X the performance of the leading Texas Instruments DSP."

Ivan D. Young
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Intel should be shipping 45 nm chips, tentatively about Nov. 11. The 8 cores in 45 nm will be shipping next summer. The fall of 2008 will see the intro of 32 nm cores. With HyperThreading and SimultaneousThreading re-introduced back into the 32 nm 8 cores by the summer of 2009. These are of course subject to change by Intel. but with them in a "completely kill AMD' kind of mood right now, I don't fore see them slipping too much.

byte_fx
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Last I heard Intel is touting 8 core cpus no later than early 2010.

But I'm thinking early 2009 - possibly sooner - is more realistic.

I seems Intel's made some sort of breakthru that will allow a ramped up 8 core release schedule.

Socket type? They'll probably try to retain 771/775 but may not be able to. It's likely they'll end up going with yat another socket design to better leverage larger caches and higher bus speeds.

Like others I've played the waiting game and decided there's no real point in waiting for something more than a couple months away if you need a faster system now. No matter what you do something faster and sexier will come out soon as you buy (but not until after you've bought) a new setup.

Might as well get what you need now and use it.

byte_fx