PDA

View Full Version : Camera TrackBall And Navigator For LightWave :

pumeco
08-21-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm started to get really irritated by the camera in Layout.

Those that have used Bryce for example, will know what I mean when I say the camera navigation in LightWave feels a bit cumbersome. It wouldn't be so bad if the navigation controls didn't grey-out whenever you select camera view. If anything, that's mostly when it should be used (when you're actually 'looking' through the camera). What on earth were NewTek thinking when they have the navigation disabled when you're in camera view?

Anyway, I thought I'd check-out flay.com and search for a camera trackball and navigator. I couldn't find anything, so I was hoping you guys know of some LScript or plugin that'll do the job.

Having to constantly switch the carema mode between move and rotate is rapidly becoming a real irritation. I seem to spend more time messing around with camera navigation than actually doing something productive. It's so bad that I could visualise quicker in Bryce than I can in LightWave, even with FPrime. And it's all down to this camera setup - nothing else.

Any help would be appreciated, this really is doing my head in :grumpy:

StereoMike
08-21-2007, 05:01 AM
I like it like it is. You just scroll the wheel on your mouse and switch from translation to rotation. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I can't imagine being even faster with something different.

When you look through your camera, you don't want to use the buttons (buttons are always slow). You choose the camera by pressing shift+c and then you can change position and rotation with 't' and 'y' or via scrollwheel.

mike

pumeco
08-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks Mike.

I knew about the scroll wheel, but what I didn't realise is that I can use it on the camera while I'm looking through it. I just tried it though, and found out it works which is REALLY good to know. Camera navigation is still disabled when editing another object though, so that's a bit annoying.

Anyway, the sutiation is a LOT more easy going than before, but I hope NewTek will auto-switch the viewport navigation controls into camera navigators whenever you're viewing through the camera. Maybe in an update or something. I don't see any point in disabling these controls when they could be put to great use, because at the moment, it's impossible to rotate, say, an object in the viewport and be able to navigate the camera while the object is in rotation mode. You have to keep switching between camera and object.

pumeco
08-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Hey, forget that last part as well. I've just noticed that clicking in the viewport anywhere but on an object, actually puts LightWave back into camera mode.

Wooohooo!!! :D

IMI
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
You know, another thing you can do is to set the camera's tracking to whatever object you're interested in, and it will point at it no matter where you move the camera, which, IMO, works better than the trackball idea.

And of course, there's always shift+C and shift+O, which could be assigned to different keys.

pumeco
08-22-2007, 03:58 AM
Sounds good, IMI.
I'll have to read up on how to track objects - haven't got that far yet :)

IMI
08-22-2007, 04:24 AM
It's in the Motion Options panel (m on the keyboard with the camera selected), under the tracking tab.
-or under the Setup tab in the main menu, under Motions.
You can also get to an item's motion properties by right clicking on it in a schematic view. :)

pumeco
08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Great stuff, found it :thumbsup:

Cheers!