PDA

View Full Version : Glitch in firewire captures

vip3dran
06-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Posted this msg a few days ago in the VT General Support forum, thought I'd repost here and see if anyone has an idea about what's going on . . .

When capturing to DV avi - via firewire, using either DVapp or DecisionMaker, If I capture long clips, 20-30+ minutes in length (either video only, audio only or video+audio) a glitch will show up every couple of minutes. It's not a consistent, predictable amount of time, but only lasts 1 frame. In the video, it will look like a jump cut at times, or will show digital artifacting at others. In the audio, it will show up as a total dropout, or will have a 'buzz' only lasting one frame.

At first, I thought it was a problem communicating with our JVC BR-DV600U deck, but now it also shows up when capturing from a Sony DV900 camera.

The exact same clips come in fine (glitch free) if I break the captures down into smaller chunks of say 5-10 minutes

I've been fighting this problem for quite a while (years), and through several motherboard/cpu setups and several different HD array setups.

Could the firewire card be the cuplrit??

Current System:
T(2) build 3890
Supermicro P4DCE+, dual 2.4ghz
Escalade 7850 8ch controller
6-IBM deskstar 75g striped array
Generic firewire card - VIA chipset

This is getting to be a big pain in the A**

:confused:

wvp
06-25-2003, 07:46 PM
If the firewire card is the one thing that has remained the same, then I would try replacing it - especially since they cost so little.

JFAns
06-27-2003, 06:44 AM
I notice this myself a kind of glitch every 2 to 3 minutes.
I don't know if it is the same problem, In my case the glitch happen in spite of been firewire or any else. I think the problem come from the electrical installation, something introduce a static or a noise in the electrical installation and it is notice in the system.

Try to connect your system to a UPS and see if the glitch persists.
Donīt forget to ventilate the system well.

Jose Anselmo

vip3dran
06-27-2003, 01:45 PM
JFAns,

From your description, it sounds like a similar problem.
All of our systems always operate with UPS - never without.

Ventilation is covered - so many fans on our Toaster (both internal and external) that I have it tied down to keep it earthbound. The CPU's generally run at or a little above body temperature. All drives are individually cooled as well.

Our glitch generally shows up every 2-3 minutes, but only in firewire captures. Anything else captured as RTV comes in glitch-free.

ringdin
07-24-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm having the same problem but on my component input. No problem with YC or DV