PDA

View Full Version : Interface Freezes for 12 Sec??? - bug?

JeffrySG
08-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Is anyone else having this problem with the pub. release of 9.3 Mac UB:

open modeler, click on the desktop, click back on the modeler window, try to zoom or rotate the view, or pan, etc... nothing happens for 12sec....

This is even on a new scene with only a box in it... anyone else have this issue??

BazC
08-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Nope, it works more or less instantly for me.

Chilton
08-21-2007, 04:20 AM
JeffrySG,

I have not seen that here, mind posting some specs on your system?

Thanks,
-Chilton

eblu
08-21-2007, 04:36 AM
chilton,
I mentioned it before. its the hub thats causing it. the hub causes stalls during app launch and when you switch away from the app and then come back.

this is happening to me on the 8core intel, and its fairly Ugly.

JeffrySG, try renaming the Hub to "~Hub" and then see if it continues to bother you.

Chilton
08-21-2007, 05:08 AM
Eblu,

Can you verify that this is the new UB Hub, and not an older Hub, from a previous install of LW? While it's running, command+click it, or right click it in the dock and choose the 'Show In Finder' option. See if it's the Hub residing in the appropriate LightWave folder.

Thanks,
-Chilton

Haven1000
08-21-2007, 07:02 AM
chilton,
I mentioned it before. its the hub thats causing it. the hub causes stalls during app launch and when you switch away from the app and then come back.

JeffrySG, try renaming the Hub to "~Hub" and then see if it continues to bother you.

Same problem here, with the same hardware.

The hub which is running is the 9.3GM version.

JeffrySG
08-21-2007, 07:10 AM
I'll double check to see what hub it is when I get home today. I'll also try that re-name trick. I know it's not the OB Hub as that one is in my dock already but I'll make sure it's not the hub from 9.0.

System specs:
MacPro 2.6 / 5GB Ram / OS 10.4.10

thx!
Jeff

Chilton
08-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Well, it certainly sounds like a bug.

-Chilton

Gary Wales
08-21-2007, 01:48 PM
I'll check it's not the old hub when I get back into work tomorrow, but I'm having the same problem. Switching away from Layout and then back again enforces me to wait for ages before the program is operational again.

JeffrySG
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
chilton,

Yes, that worked... if Hub never launches then Modeler doesn't stall each time I come back from another application. Although I lose all the functionality of Hub. So it would seem like it is Hub related either way...

Jamie K
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Same problem here. Dual 2.5GHZ G5. LW 9.3 UB.

There are always a few little things that slip through the cracks. But thanks for getting the UB released, Chilton!

It can hang up for anywhere from a few seconds to more than 10 seconds when switching from modeler to layout OR from layout to modelor. This happens when switching via the controls in LW.

BTW, hitting F12 in layout doesn't highlight the Modeler button in the upper right corner. Other than that lack of user interface visual feedback, F12 seems to have the same delayed switching behavior.

The delay also happens when switching via command-tab in OSX, but worse because sometimes command-tab doesn't seem to work, sometimes it just doesn't switch at all with command-tab even though it seems to be trying based on the foreground window losing focus. But the other program never comes to the foreground. Something about layout/modeler isn't yet playing nicely with command-tab switching.

The proper OSX behavior would be for command-tab to switch between programs, and command-~ to switch between windows in the same program. So, depending on how you view layout and modeler, you could go with one or the other behavior. But it ought to switch instantly whichever way you decide it should work.

BTW, I tested this with just one object loaded into modeler and exported to layout: a sphere (with a displacement node).

I look forward to a quick, (PUBLIC please) update to fix this stalling-during-switching behavior, and the "cut-is-delete-instead-of-cut" bug. I hope the fixes don't get hoarded to the beta list.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Cheers,
-Jamie
www.JamieKrutz.com

jensfoto
08-24-2007, 09:14 AM
same problem since build 1296 and in the final 9.3 version!!!

i can not work because the "mouse-click" did not work for
10-30 seconds after switching between programs (email, safari etc.)

macpro 6 gb ram, 8 core xeon, ati radeon x1900, lw 9.3 final ub
and wacom intous tablet!!! (last driver version)

4dartist
08-24-2007, 09:53 AM
OMG I am so glad I found this post... This problem was driving me up a WALL! I talk often on Ichat with a co-worker that is out of state and I simply can't work and talk because everytime i come back to LW i have to wait 10 seconds for it to start working then sometimes i have to type a quick yes or no in Ichat and have to wait all over again. Sometimes I feel like i need a second computer for everything other than LW so i don't have to switch out! hehe.

I'm going to sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a UB version w/out this problem! BTW I love UB version, you guys did great! Just a couple hiccups. Keep up the good work!

Ben

4dartist
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Tried to edit but i guess it was too late:

Using dual quad core Intel-Mac, 8GB RAM, Radeon X1900

M-X
08-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Having problems with 9.2 on a number of new machines in my office. Frime for example will render objects out of place and in different sequences on different machines so I can't edit a path together.....(plus the usual crashes!)
anyway by the sounds of it the 9.3 isn't fairing any better. So should I just wait to upgrade? Better the devil you know? OR don't know!
WHEN 9.3UB works will it be faster to render than 9.2 & Fprime? As Fprime is not ready for the UB version? OR should I use 9.3 power PC version with Fprime on My intel macs???????? Why can't it just work!!!!! I spend more time trying to reload scenes than getting any work done!!!!
Sorry for the rant but this is causing too many late nights!!!!
So what is the best way forward, appreciate any help!!!

Mac OS10.4.10, 2 x 3GHz Quad core Intel XeonMac Pro, 4Gb RAM

Chilton
08-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Hi,

The UB stores its settings in different locations than other versions. So, I'd suggest downloading it and trying it out yourself. On an Intel Mac, the speed difference is dramatic.

-Chilton

M-X
08-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Hi there, but am I right in thinking that if I install the UB version I cannot use Fprime?

Chilton
08-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi M-X,

You won't be able to use it in the UB version, but you can continue to use it in whatever earlier version of LW you have installed.

-Chilton

aperezg
08-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Same problem, waiting 12 seconds to open Modeler or Layot, 9.3UB.

But is not problem to me waiting 12 seconds for a faster renders:thumbsup:

Mac OS 10.4.9 Dual 2Ghz PPC 5.5GB ram, Gforce 7800GT

Weepul
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Is anyone else having this problem with the pub. release of 9.3 Mac UB:

open modeler, click on the desktop, click back on the modeler window, try to zoom or rotate the view, or pan, etc... nothing happens for 12sec....

This is even on a new scene with only a box in it... anyone else have this issue??
Yep, getting it here. Pretty much a deal-breaker for anything except rendering since I often switch to other apps for reference and then back...

JeffrySG
08-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Yep, getting it here. Pretty much a deal-breaker for anything except rendering since I often switch to other apps for reference and then back...
if you don't use the hub it will go away... just re-name the hub and see if it works. (but yes, then you don't benefit from the hub at all)

multipasser
08-30-2007, 06:46 AM
I got the same with 9,3.
And i'm on a Quadcore macpro.
Very very slow when switching apps.

Lightwave stalls for 15secs. Grr
Wanna disable hub now.

JeffrySG
08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I got the same with 9,3.
And i'm on a Quadcore macpro.
Very very slow when switching apps.

Lightwave stalls for 15secs. Grr
Wanna disable hub now.
yeah, it's pretty much un-usable until you disable the hub... I switch back and forth between apps all the time and that pause is a killer....

jensfoto
09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
today i made a tutorial in modo. after switching from quicktime to modo
i had THE SAME 12 sec PROBLEM!!!!

is it an MAC OS 10.4.10 BUG ????

mattmgut
09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I am experiencing the same problem.

One reason I think it might be the HUB causing the interface freeze is that when you start LW in Discovery Mode, without the HUB, it is quite zippy. Plug in your dongle, open LW and the viewports take forever to become active.

Using Mac OS 10.4.10, 2 x 2.33 GHz Mac Pro, 4 GB RAM

toby
09-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Reason #97 to not use the hub! I disabled mine 6 years ago -
If Chilton fixes it like he says he can, it'll be a first in LW history!

But I still won't use it :D just not the way I roll.

akrantz
09-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi,

The UB stores its settings in different locations than other versions. So, I'd suggest downloading it and trying it out yourself. On an Intel Mac, the speed difference is dramatic.

-Chilton

lol. Dramatically worse. If you call waiting long enough to paint your house for the app to respond when you launch it/click on it an improvement I would hate to see what you consider a problem. The "good" thing is, apparently lots of people are having these problems so maybe it will get fixed.

Chilton
09-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi,

lol. Dramatically worse. If you call waiting long enough to paint your house for the app to respond when you launch it/click on it an improvement I would hate to see what you consider a problem. The "good" thing is, apparently lots of people are having these problems so maybe it will get fixed.

With the exception of this bug that happens when you switch apps, the UB is considerably faster across the board. And it should also be considerably more stable.

It is never a good thing for lots of our users to have any problem. All it takes is one user to have a problem, for it to get fixed. This issue will be fixed in the next update.

-Chilton

4dartist
09-05-2007, 08:16 AM
This issue will be fixed in the next update.

-Chilton

Thats great news. I look forward to it! I have started working with the 'rename hub trick' to disable the hub and it hasn't been too bad. Anytime I make changes to a model i just 'reload object' or 'reload object layer'. The slow down in workflow is much less than it is when you have the delay bug all the time. I encourage other people that feel frustrated with the delay when switching apps, to try disabling the hub.

Chilton
09-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Get it? Hub + UB. Ha ha!

Here's a thought--OSX decreases the priority level of an app if it's in the background for awhile. So I'm curious... if you're having slowdown issues, please try opening the Hub before switching data between the Modeler and Layout.

I'd like to know if that makes the apps stay speedy.

curiouser and curiouser...

-Chilton

jat
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
yes and for all you bungie fans out there remember the marathon durandal level

curiouser and curiouser

Chilton, you and your hidden messages... :)

what's next, are you going to tell us that your also coding a next gen game engine.......lol

Chilton
09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
FWIW, more 'cultured' folk tell me it's from Alice in Wonderland. But yeah, I was actually thinking of the Marathon level :thumbsup:

-Chilton

synergy3d
07-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Did this ever get fixed? Because I have the same problem on an Intel Mac and UB Lightwave 9.3.1...

4dartist
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
no

edit: i guess i should be more specific. Not for intel-mac + UB Lightwave 9.3.1

JeffrySG
07-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Time to disable the hub or maybe try to see how 9.5ob runs for you...