PDA

View Full Version : Secret, Hidden, Amazing features...

Chilton
08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi,

There are actually a few interesting things we did for the UB that are specific to the Mac platform. I'll divulge a new one every now and then, assuming no one else finds them first. But I'd like to point out one big thing we did, that I think is pretty slick. These are minor tweaks, but they should make your LightWave experience on the MacOS a tad bit more interesting.

As you know, we simplified the install to use a drag and drop installation. All of the libraries and frameworks we rely on are now embedded in the app, or tucked away in the SharedSupport folder. But during the planning stages, we decided that it would be pretty slick if you could have all of LightWave3D installed on a thumb drive. So where would you keep your license.key file?

We added the ability to keep the license.key file in the SharedSupport folder, if you want. It's not a standard place to keep the file, but it will be found there. This lets you keep your copy of LightWave3D on a removable volume, like say... an iPod, and take it with you.

So if your neighbor has a faster MacPro than yours, or if you want to go test a render on new hardware at the Apple Store, load up that iPod, put your license.key file in the SharedSupport folder, and you're set!

-Chilton

Matt
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Now if the dongle was ALSO a USB drive with LW installed, that would be an industry first!

You heard it right here, yeah me, I said it! :D

BazC
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Cool! Thanks Chilton.

Chilton
08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Matt,

Now if the dongle was ALSO a USB drive with LW installed, that would be an industry first!

You heard it right here, yeah me, I said it! :D

It's been tossed around here as well. Though, if we decide to go down that path, I'll see if we can get 'This was Matt's idea' stamped on the underside of the drive. :devil:

But what a loss it would be if you stored your files on it as well, and then lost your dongle...

-Chilton

Matt
08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Matt,
It's been tossed around here as well. Though, if we decide to go down that path, I'll see if we can get 'This was Matt's idea' stamped on the underside of the drive. :devil:

But what a loss it would be if you stored your files on it as well, and then lost your dongle...

-Chilton

I just worry about my dongle dying from constant plugging / unplugging!

Cageman
08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I just worry about my dongle dying from constant plugging / unplugging!

Get a USB extender cable... and don't pull it out/in when the computer is running (if you not absolutely have to, of course).

Gary Wales
08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Being able to put the license key in the Shared Support folder is very helpful indeed! Marvellous!

...and if your dongle gets too much wear and tear you're over doing it!

Matt
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Get a USB extender cable... and don't pull it out/in when the computer is running (if you not absolutely have to, of course).

Had one of those, it broke!!!!

prospector
08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
WELL, harumppphhhh

Those MAC people get ALL the bennies :D

Chilton
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Technically this was already in it before, but when we move to the UB format, we moved where the license.key file would be stored. So we had to add this back in to allow this feature to work.

-Chilton

Largemedium
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Are you saying that you can actually run LightWave from the thumbdrive? Wouldn't that be slow? If I had the UB Intel version of LightWave on a thumbdrive then I'd only be able to run it on an Intel Mac. Right?

Lightwolf
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Are you saying that you can actually run LightWave from the thumbdrive? Wouldn't that be slow?
Once it loads it is in memory. And since the access time on a USB stick is actually lower (read: quicker) - it shouldn't be that much slower.
Every now and then LW might need to load a plugin, but other than that...

If I had the UB Intel version of LightWave on a thumbdrive then I'd only be able to run it on an Intel Mac. Right?
Nope, the UB version contains binaries for both, as do the plugins.

Cheers,
Mike

Chilton
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi LM,

The UB is Universal. As in, it can run on Intel or PPC hardware.

It might be slow loading initially from the drive, but I suspect our cadre of startup procedures take longer to execute than any drive speed issues would take.

FWIW, I keep a copy of LW on a DMG in my Dot Mac account. Not thumb drive required ;-)

Edit: Mike wins the speed cookie... this time.

-Chilton

LW_Will
08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Thank you... Chilton...

Apple Store, here I come...

kilvano
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
New apple store opening in Glasgow on Sat. I plan to be first down to get my free t shirt then iron a windows Vista sticker on it!

I hate vista but im one of those guys who loves to hate the trendy things

BazC
08-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Can I drag this slightly off topic and ask about UBs?

Once the app is installed is it still a universal binary?

The reason I ask is I had the universal binary of another 3d app installed on my G4, when I got the Intel I thought I could drag the app from my G4 HD to my Intel HD to save running the installer again. It worked great!

Then a while later I was running Activity monitor and noticed I was running a PPC version of the app. I scrapped that install and ran the installer and got an Intel version.

The conclusion I came to was that the installer was UB but it installed either PPC or Intel versions depending on what processor it found. Are there different kinds of UB?

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 02:29 AM
Can I drag this slightly off topic and ask about UBs?

Once the app is installed is it still a universal binary?

From what I've seen, yes. I have yet to catch my lowly G4 kick out the intel code.

Cheers,
Mike

Chilton
08-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi BazC,

Some software does split off the Intel and PPC code. Ours does not. Our UB will run on whatever platform you want to run it on, and we don't strip off the other code at any point, so it's safe to move it around.

-Chilton

BazC
08-21-2007, 04:43 AM
Excellent, thanks for the explanation!

ELinder
08-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi,

There are actually a few interesting things we did for the UB that are specific to the Mac platform. I'll divulge a new one every now and then, assuming no one else finds them first.

-Chilton

Excuse me for being blunt, but am I the only one who finds that statement really dumb? This isn't some secret club or game. It's a piece of commercial software people pay for. People were paid to write it. If it has a feature that works (ie isn't still beta), it should be documented, not treated as an Easter Egg hunt.

Erich
(who's still waiting for the morning coffee caffeine to hit the bloodstream)

Chilton
08-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi ELinder,

The issue here is that there are a number of things that being a Universal Binary means, but not everyone spends their days pouring over Apple's Human Interface Guidelines. So while these kinds of things are obvious to me, and while it pisses me off when apps don't conform to this standard, I don't feel like these should be documented as 'features', because every app should support them.

-Chilton

ELinder
08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Ah, OK, that sort of makes sense in this case.

BTW, having a final UB LW has me really itching to go to the Apple store to look at an Octo MacPro and dump my old Dell PC.

Erich

Scazzino
08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Ah, OK, that sort of makes sense in this case.

BTW, having a final UB LW has me really itching to go to the Apple store to look at an Octo MacPro and dump my old Dell PC.

Erich

Go for it... these things scream! :thumbsup:

jensfoto
08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
cool, like the modo-personal-licence.
a freelancer need this feature.

Chilton
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
To be honest, this has been a feature of LightWave, since the mid-90's. It's just that in the UB, we started using traditional Mac directories for things, and this feature was subsequently removed. We added it back in this fashion to complete the circle.

-Chilton

tesseractny
08-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Almost makes you want to see the 9.5 (yes I'm jumping WAyyyyyyy ahead) realease to see what other features will be available.... Of course that's just the lack of caffeine talking.

Now could NewTek make the program 4 year old twin proof? (j/k, but I do have a set that like to uninstall things)

Tesser:hey: