PDA

View Full Version : Audio problems in Storyboard editing

delirious
08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Hello all,
I'm trying to familiarize myself with editing in storyboard view, but I'm finding that if I move a clip the audio does not follow. Even if I highlight the clip and the corresponding audio, the audio will not play unless I play it from the timeline view.
Also, I noticed that some of the video croutons are followed by audio croutons while others are not (they just have the little pink music note). Can someone please explain the audio/video connection in storyboard mode as I didn't see anything about it in the manual?

Thanks in advance!

delirious
08-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Since no one replied am I to assume that no one is really using the storyboard?

Well ... in the hopes that someone will be able to reply I will add another storyboard question to the list: Is there a way to see markers/make notes on the croutons in the storyboard? I have markers on the clips in the timeline, but they don't show up in the storyboard.

UnCommonGrafx
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
No to the second question.

You have to answer a few questions about the first question, though.
Are those clips tied together, i.e., if you drag your clips on to the timeline does the audio automatically follow? If not, that's part of the problem: you can't arbitrarily lock audio to clips.
If so, then you may have hit what I would call a bug.
Based on the 'little pink music note' comment, it would seem that you have clips that have audio in them. To that end, the audio shouldn't even show up in the storyboard editor (looking at SE at the moment so it may be different in VTEdit); they show up, though, if you've separated the vid from the audio.

Ask more questions...

Jim_C
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
, if you've separated the vid from the audio.

That is the feeling I am getting.

Screen shots are necessary really.

Jim

animlab
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Is there a way to see markers/make notes on the croutons in the storyboard? I have markers on the clips in the timeline, but they don't show up in the storyboard.

Markers are only work in timeline. By nature, it is hard or impossible to set and display markers in storyboard.
However it is possible for someone to write a plugins to display a list of markers and notes when using storyboard. The question is markers/notes are work well under timerline and I can not feagure out what uses of them under storyboard mode.

animlab
08-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Hello all,
I'm trying to familiarize myself with editing in storyboard view, but I'm finding that if I move a clip the audio does not follow. Even if I highlight the clip and the corresponding audio, the audio will not play unless I play it from the timeline view.
Also, I noticed that some of the video croutons are followed by audio croutons while others are not (they just have the little pink music note). Can someone please explain the audio/video connection in storyboard mode as I didn't see anything about it in the manual?

Thanks in advance!

Are you use RTV with WAV files?
In my experience, some of my customers when they first come to the VTEdit, the drag RTV with WAV together into storyboard/timeline. This make a RTV file have two audio track under it, one show extension name as .RTV and is automatically generated when RTV drag nto VTEdit, the other show extension name as .wav and is what you drag into VTEdit.
When they first drag and drop into VTEdit, they are all selected. So when you drag the RTV video, two audio tracks will follow the video as they are locked together but they ar not. If you deselect all selections then just select and drag the RTV video, only .RTV audio will follow. You should delete the extra .wav track you drag into VTEdit to avoid double audio tracks.

I have been fooled by this for a while when customers call and complain the wierd audio behaviors. I am wonder this might be the same things you met.

delirious
08-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the great responses!

A friend helped me figure out the problem I was having with the separated audio clips. I will explain in case any one else needs/wants to know.

I put an hour-long .avi file on the timeline and began playing it back to cut the video into scenes. Somewhere along the way I hit cut and it only cut the audio, so I simply made sure I selected the video at the same point and cut it as well. This somehow separated the video from the audio (actually a duplicate audio file -- one hidden under another) and everything else I cut that day went on the storyboard as separate video/audio files. The fix was simply to delete the audio on the timeline, select the video clips and then hit the audio (speaker) symbol associated with the clips. It added the audio back in cuts and all.

As for the marker problem -- no fix there. I did, however, learn how to rename the instances on the timeline (ie. Julie_scene1_good) so that I can better identify/separate clips in the storyboard