PDA

View Full Version : Material Tester Scene + Free Node Presets

Matt
08-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I've been playing with the Node Editor this weekend.

I created a lightbox 'surface tester' scene, inspired by the Maxwell Render standard material scene.

Not sure how scientific my setup is, but I created the grid at 128,128,128 grey, plus the black, white, red, green and blue boxes to calibrate the light setup, seemed to work okay, as most of the presets I created seem to behave themselves with the same lighting!

Anyway, I decided to share the fruits of my labour!

Attached is the scene itself and a bunch of presets I made. They are all .srf files, so you'll need to load them in via the Surface Editor 'Load' button.

I've not optimised the scene for really fast render times, a combination of quality and speed, the determining factor was making sure all the lines on the grid were visible (low AA causes the far ones to break up).

So, I'm sure you can make the scene go much faster if you're not fussed about the ground grid.

The car paint shader node setup was created by someone else, but I can't for the life of me remember who! I did rename some of the nodes to make it easier to understand which nodes you need to change to affect certain aspects; fleck size etc.

I've also included the Illustrator files used for creating the calibration grid textures, so you can edit those to create any new ones you feel you might need.

Hope you find it useful, and post your presets in this thread, be great to see them.

Regards
Matt

P.S. I modified the ground grid after I created the renders, so it will look slightly different if you render any yourself, but apart from that the scene is the same.

Matt
08-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Wouldn't upload the scene files in the last post, had to split them ...

SplineGod
08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks Matt! :)

warrenwc
08-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Ditto!
:agree:

LAV
08-20-2007, 01:28 AM
many thanks. downloading...

agv
08-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Nice idea, thanks for your efforts. Downloading now.

wavk
08-20-2007, 02:00 AM
ooh excellent, nice to look at too.
you also should have designed the plugin for node surfaces presets too!
the design of that one hurts my eyes ...sadly.

mlon

dee
08-20-2007, 02:08 AM
thanks!

Limbus
08-20-2007, 02:25 AM
I love material test scenes. Thanks for uploading.

agv
08-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Matt, I really like the look of your lightbox set up. The combination of luminous polys and area lights work great in the reflections.

Iain
08-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Thanks Matt. That's really useful and I like the fact that you didn't just copy the Maxwell object.

:thumbsup:

cresshead
08-20-2007, 04:08 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
:lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon:
DUDE!

we were just talking about how cool 9.0 is at the last user meeting
and that nodes REALLY need to ship with a lib of some sort!

coooool!

i hope to see some other top artists add to the lib to help ease 'old timers'
into using nodes for their future lightwave 9.3 scenes!

brilliant and well done ol'd bean!

:D

stee g

cresshead
08-20-2007, 04:33 AM
are you adding these to the lib over on:-
http://www.lededesigns.com/component/option,com_nodes/Itemid,4/

i like your test scene much better btw!

zapper1998
08-20-2007, 05:54 AM
cool stuff

thanks

kopperdrake
08-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Lovely - just lovely - thanks :thumbsup:

scratch33
08-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks matt, very coo idea.:thumbsup:

Lewis
08-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Nice work Matt, you've had bussy weekend ;)

Lewis
08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Here is converted ones, just copy them in surfaces inside of programs folder (of LW) so you don't need to load/save them each one manually :D.

-EsHrA-
08-20-2007, 08:07 AM
cheers!

mlon

starbase1
08-20-2007, 09:10 AM
We could really do with a definitive node library - Lede Designs one seems to have stuck, as does Preset Central. A real shame as a saw a demo of Ben (P.C.)'s system he was working in, which pretty much put his online library into your preset shelf.

Matt
08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Here is converted ones, just copy them in surfaces inside of programs folder (of LW) so you don't need to load/save them each one manually :D.

I guess I should've done that! Thanks! :D

We could really do with a definitive node library

I vote NewTek set one up, everyone miggles here anyway!

cresshead
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
yeah defo, newtek already have a :-
http://www.newtek.com/freestuff/index.php

that's the place chuck or whoever should drop the new node lib...or dare i say INCLUDE in 9.3's installer!
that way everyone who has 9.3 GETs it..without searching....

this way the community can help drive 9.* forward with demo scenes and presets.
should be part of the beta...newtek add stuff...so can we!
such as sample scenes for radiosity, final gather etc.

cresshead
08-20-2007, 01:08 PM
...5min edit poo!

...autodesk ship folders of sample scenes for new features and material lib's....
so newtek can follow suit and do the same..with new features and surface preset lib's.

Matt
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Certainly would help shift a few units, maybe!

Beau_M
08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Your surface test scene is a hell of a lot less complex than mine is, that's for sure! Nice work

IMI
08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Thank you! :)

colkai
08-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks Matt - very kind of you Sirrah! :)

Haven1000
08-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Great stuff Matt

zizi
08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Great stuff Matt, Thank you!:thumbsup:

monovich
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
thanks Matt. This is great!

Capt Lightwave
08-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Wow, GREAT! Thanks a million.

Matt
08-24-2007, 07:46 AM
My pleasure guys! :D

aquinde
08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
...5min edit poo!

...autodesk ship folders of sample scenes for new features and material lib's....
so newtek can follow suit and do the same..with new features and surface preset lib's.

Yeah, the lack of new presets is truly woeful. Looking around in the presets folder in my fresh 9.3 install it seems all the presets shipped are from 2004. One might think there would be loads of new ones featuring Nodes, but no. I know there were some examples in the 9.x tutorial objects but why not make it easy for us users? NewTek has restructured how preset folders are handled in 9.3 but given us all the same old presets in the folders.

Fortunately many people in the LW community have risen to the call but some help from the mothership would be nice. Filter Forge has a sweet way of distributing presets online. While browsing for filters locally you can launch a browser to their online filter library to see what's new and install a new filter with one click. Any user can contribute. It's one of the more compelling features of that app. Obviously they have resources devoted to managing this system but it works rather nicely.

starbase1
08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, the lack of new presets is truly woeful. Looking around in the presets folder in my fresh 9.3 install it seems all the presets shipped are from 2004. One might think there would be loads of new ones featuring Nodes, but no. I know there were some examples in the 9.x tutorial objects but why not make it easy for us users? NewTek has restructured how preset folders are handled in 9.3 but given us all the same old presets in the folders.

Fortunately many people in the LW community have risen to the call but some help from the mothership would be nice. Filter Forge has a sweet way of distributing presets online. While browsing for filters locally you can launch a browser to their online filter library to see what's new and install a new filter with one click. Any user can contribute. It's one of the more compelling features of that app. Obviously they have resources devoted to managing this system but it works rather nicely.

Preset Central were working on exactly that - I saw a very impressive demo.
Nick

safetyman
08-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Love these! I'll be finding a lot of use for them, thank you.

Romizer
08-26-2007, 05:29 AM
thanks! the power of nodes are incredible!

c4eatr
10-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Very nice Matt!
Sorry for the late reply, but I rarely make it to the NEWTEK boards these days.

safetyman
10-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Thank you, Matt. Very very very very useful for me. You da man!!!

Matt
10-01-2007, 09:22 AM
I should point out, the car paint shaders in the archive have the 'Real Fresnel' shader applied, you should remove them, they weren't supposed to be there!

A Mejias
03-07-2008, 10:08 AM
DUDE! THANKS! Don't know how I missed this thread.

JeffrySG
03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I missed it also... cheers!

I like that ZBrush texture! :)

Doctor49152
03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Matt!!

I was thinking of doing this a while back. I was thinking of programming a website where people could upload their presets. I got as far as making a test scene.

http://www.interocitor-media.com/sample1.jpg
http://www.interocitor-media.com/sample2.jpg

There is a system out now thats kind of like this but it involves some plug-in system.

I still think it might be worth some of my time to still program the site. If I ever get time.

SandroBenigno
03-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks for share, Matt!!! Very interesting and useful.

starbase1
03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmmm... The other good news is that it looks like preset central is coming back to life:
http://www.presetcentral.com/
with PS Plant active (saw this demoed at a user group, looked great).

Also looks like Ben has been kind enough to make the entire old preset archive available as one monster file!

This one deserves your support guys...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nick

Kelgor
03-09-2008, 07:15 PM
This community rocks, thanks matt! This thread actually saved a project I'm currently working on

lardbros
03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I love preset central, that used to be one of the best resources on the web for Lightwave stuff! Stillhave all of their old ones lurking in my LW 8, or was it 7? directory!

Spoke to Ben once at the Newtek london thing, and he was such a nice bloke, clearly a devoted LW fan! Good stuff!

starbase1
03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
I love preset central, that used to be one of the best resources on the web for Lightwave stuff! Stillhave all of their old ones lurking in my LW 8, or was it 7? directory!

Spoke to Ben once at the Newtek london thing, and he was such a nice bloke, clearly a devoted LW fan! Good stuff!

Was that the one where he showed an early PS Plant? I agree... Maybe we can talk him into coming along to the next one!

lardbros
03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Was that the one where he showed an early PS Plant? I agree... Maybe we can talk him into coming along to the next one!

Don't think so, it was over a year ago now...at the hilton in london i think it was! It was a newtek thing, think 9 had just been released or was it 9.2?

I still haven't made it to any of the london forum meets, i need to get my *** in gear and get to one!

bobakabob
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Matt, thanks for the presets and the Lightbox scene is excellent. I wish Newtek would host user surface presets, it would surely stimulate interest in nodes and LW publicity.

starbase1
03-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Matt, thanks for the presets and the Lightbox scene is excellent. I wish Newtek would host user surface presets, it would surely stimulate interest in nodes and LW publicity.

And rolling them into the distributed software would be a big help to newbies in particular.

Matt
03-11-2008, 04:14 AM
I'd love to do a set of 'real world' (as much as possible) presets using only nodes to hand over to NT for distribution, but I need to get better with the node editor.

Also, would need to find some material properties for some stuff. Does anyone know of a good material property site?

starbase1
03-11-2008, 05:49 AM
I'd love to do a set of 'real world' (as much as possible) presets using only nodes to hand over to NT for distribution, but I need to get better with the node editor.

Also, would need to find some material properties for some stuff. Does anyone know of a good material property site?

Well there's a nice set of refractive index details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indices_of_refraction

That would make a nice start!

And at the risk of trigger a diversion into colour pickers, there's also a long list of colour names to RBG values here:
http://www.pitt.edu/~nisg/cis/web/cgi/rgb.html

Seems to me that applying these to a couple of basic materials, (emulsion paint, shiny plastic), would give a flying start to a good sized surface library...

Matt
03-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Well there's a nice set of refractive index details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indices_of_refraction

That would make a nice start!

And at the risk of trigger a diversion into colour pickers, there's also a long list of colour names to RBG values here:
http://www.pitt.edu/~nisg/cis/web/cgi/rgb.html

Seems to me that applying these to a couple of basic materials, (emulsion paint, shiny plastic), would give a flying start to a good sized surface library...

What I really need are diffuse and reflective properties

halas
03-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks Matt.
I am a new ligtwave user , and it's very helpfull for me, again anthor thanks for you.

sandman300
03-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks Matt, I was trying to figure out how to make the metalflake look.

Another place for presets is at Simplylightwave.com the have a download section just for presets. http://www.simplylightwave.com/download_pages/type.mhtml?type=none&typeid=1

As far as I know anyone is free to submit files for upload.

oh, this is what I ended up doing with the metalflake paint.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=668335#post668335

Matt
03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I finally found where I got the node flow for the autopaint from, it was from Exceptions website (http://www.except.nl), so it's his cool flow we have to thank!

evolross
03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Very cool. Yeah I was just about to mention that Exception has a car paint surface on his website that could be the one you were talking about, but you got it.

Thanks for sharing.

dysamoria
01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
um... old thread, but new to me... i can't seem to load these into Lightwave 9.6.1 (Mac 64-bit)... if i put them into the presets folder, they come up without names and don't load properly when double-clicked. if i load them individually from the surface editor using the Load button, same thing happens. it seems the node stuff is totally ignored and only basic settings are read. i tried the zip file offered of these node surfaces as Presets, but i see the same behavior. i don't get it. why is this so hard?

JeffrySG
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
um... old thread, but new to me... i can't seem to load these into Lightwave 9.6.1 (Mac 64-bit)... if i put them into the presets folder, they come up without names and don't load properly when double-clicked. if i load them individually from the surface editor using the Load button, same thing happens. it seems the node stuff is totally ignored and only basic settings are read. i tried the zip file offered of these node surfaces as Presets, but i see the same behavior. i don't get it. why is this so hard?
Matt did some videos on how to use the presets over at preset central. :)

http://presetcentral.com/videos/

dysamoria
01-20-2011, 01:20 AM
thanks. i watched the how-to... i already understood those basics. it seems i'm doing things correctly. are there bugs in LW 9.6.1 64-bit Mac that i might be seeing? when i load a preset, no node config is loaded. when i have a scene with a surface that already has nodes, if i try to load a new preset onto that object's surface, it doesn't replace the nodes. this just seems like broken behavior.

Kuzey
01-20-2011, 05:07 AM
thanks. i watched the how-to... i already understood those basics. it seems i'm doing things correctly. are there bugs in LW 9.6.1 64-bit Mac that i might be seeing? when i load a preset, no node config is loaded. when i have a scene with a surface that already has nodes, if i try to load a new preset onto that object's surface, it doesn't replace the nodes. this just seems like broken behavior.

I don't have 9.6.1 installed, but this should be in the beta forums....I believe. Send in a bug report as well.

Do the presets work if you run LW in 32bit mode?

Kuzey

dysamoria
01-20-2011, 05:59 AM
no, same behavior in 32-bit mode.

as for searching the forum... i looked but saw nothing relevant with search query: load preset

hell, i don't really know HOW to query for this... always i encounter screwed up buggy behavior that makes me look like a beginner or an idiot.

i hate software. i hate computers. why do i bother? i should have learned to paint or become a plumber.

Kuzey
01-20-2011, 07:09 AM
no, same behavior in 32-bit mode.

as for searching the forum... i looked but saw nothing relevant with search query: load preset

hell, i don't really know HOW to query for this... always i encounter screwed up buggy behavior that makes me look like a beginner or an idiot.

i hate software. i hate computers. why do i bother? i should have learned to paint or become a plumber.

We all have days like that...don't worry about it :D

First of all...presets have either a .pst or .srf extension...anything else won't work.

Try loading it form the preset library...press F8, but first create a folder say "mytestpresets" at the following location:

Note : I don't have 9.6.1, but the path below should be similar :D

LightWave3D 9.6/SharedSupport/Presets/Surface Editor/Surface Preset/

Copy the presets to the "mytestpresets" folder:

LightWave3D 9.6/SharedSupport/Presets/Surface Editor/Surface Preset/mytestpresets/

Then in Layout or Modeler, make sure a an object or scene is loaded, open the surface editor, select the surface you want to add a preset to.

Then open the preset library, you should see a blank panel with "Workspace" selected in the dropdown menu. Click on the dropdown menu and select the "mytestpresets" folder from the list and those presets should load. Double click on one and it should be applied to the surface name you have selected.

PS...if you are adding a preset in Modeler and test rendering in Layout, you need to save the object first. Otherwise, the surface might not get updated in Layout...so it looks like nothing has happened.

This is true for Layout as well, if you close Layout without saving the object from there ("save all objects" would do), the next time you open the scene or object...it'll still have the same old surfaces.

Hope that helps,

Kuzey

dysamoria
01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
hi Kuzey

i'm doing this all in Layout. i'm mostly familiar with the differences between the two halves of Lightwave by this point :) i wish there were a rendering engine in Modeler... i mean modeling and surfacing really go hand in hand... anyway...

i've seen the problem with Lightwave's Preset Browser not showing files. this isn't that case. the files show up fine. the weird thing with files is that the .srf files don't behave like .pst files so why the hell did NewTek create the file type?? the behavior is inconsistent. the .srf files show up in the browser but the names don't. if you rename the preset, the file gets replaced with a .pst file. etc. but that's still not my main problem.

my main problem is simply that i cannot successfully load a preset into the Surface Editor if Nodes are involved. if i double-click presets from the Preset Shelf/Browser, only the non-nodal stuff is loaded. nothing node-related loads. if i click on the Load button in the editor itself, same behavior. if i edit nodes myself or load a scene with nodal surfaces, that all seems fine, but loading other presets (via browser or Load button) will not replace the nodal content with what's in the preset being loaded (no matter whether the preset is pure old-style or has node content). so, basically, Lightwave's Surface Editor is ignoring the node system's existence when loading presets.

this makes no sense to me. it seems like a bug, but it's pretty damned severe so why the hell would i be the first person to ask about it? VERY FRUSTRATING.

Kuzey
01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Boy...that sure sounds like a huge bug. I would report it....to be on the safe side:

Bug Report and Feature Request Database Instructions (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73226)

BTW...do you have 9.6 installed...do you get the same behavior?

It might be a good idea to capture the bug on video and include that in the report.

Kuzey

dysamoria
01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
sigh. i just want to do some artwork, not spend time providing data that NewTek will not use to improve the product i already own. LW10 ensures there will be no update to 9.6.1.

this is insane. this is why i stopped working on 3D repeatedly over the last few years. the software (previously i tried to use several versions of Carrara) was always broken in some stupid way that other people couldn't reproduce. it's like i have a KICK ME sign on my back. no matter what i try to do, it's a new and different broken thing. i'm not an expert at surfacing so i want to learn from presets, but i guess i can't.

i JUST removed 9.6 from this machine so i can't test that one. since there are so few node-based surface presets, it's possible i had the problem before but never noticed it.. or it's only a Mac-platform bug... or...(?).

Matt
01-21-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm not sure what the issue is with the Mac as I don't have one here to test.

But loading these works fine on 9.6 because that's what they were originally created on. They also work fine in v10 too.

However, I will look into this with those on the team that do test on Mac.

Kuzey
01-21-2011, 04:49 AM
i JUST removed 9.6 from this machine so i can't test that one. since there are so few node-based surface presets, it's possible i had the problem before but never noticed it.. or it's only a Mac-platform bug... or...(?).

That....I would not know, it's the first time I'm hearing about it.

Have you tried some of the presets from Preset Central (http://www.presetcentral.com/) ?

Just another wild guess...is the box next to the "Edit Nodes" button checked in the surface editor? I'm thinking...for what ever reason, the nodes are getting loaded but that option is turned off, in which case you won't see their effect. Also, is there a node tree when you click on the "Edit Nodes" button or is it blank??

Kuzey

dysamoria
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is with the Mac as I don't have one here to test.

But loading these works fine on 9.6 because that's what they were originally created on. They also work fine in v10 too.

However, I will look into this with those on the team that do test on Mac.

thank you

dysamoria
01-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Have you tried some of the presets from Preset Central (http://www.presetcentral.com/)?

yes. same problem.

Just another wild guess...is the box next to the "Edit Nodes" button checked in the surface editor? I'm thinking...for what ever reason, the nodes are getting loaded but that option is turned off, in which case you won't see their effect. Also, is there a node tree when you click on the "Edit Nodes" button or is it blank??

If i create a node tree, or if i load a project with surfaces that have one, the node tree is totally persistent no matter what presets i load. also, i have been sure to pay attention to the checkbox and it is enabled.

lim-e
01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Let me throw in my 2c worth here. I'm running LW 9.6 on a quad-core PPC machine and created and rendered models with nodal surfaces. I upgraded to 9.6.1 - to get that 64-bit support - and besides the QuickTime issue screwing things up, I too cannot get nodal textures to load from my previously saved presets. This is most annoying and needs explaining.

dysamoria
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
lim-e: thanks for chiming in. i was hoping someone else could verify that this problem exists (outside ME!).

dysamoria
02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
i've since sent this as a bug report on NewTek's Open Beta bug report system... i suggest anyone else who sees this also submit a report in case your way of explaining it is better than mine.