PDA

View Full Version : A trojan in 9.3 ??

thierry-lyon
08-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Hello all and apologies for my poor englih i'm french:) I've just dowloaded from my download page on newtek register site the file to instal the 9.3 version, as always i scan it and one of my antimalware program find a trojan in it, named Trojan.win32.Startpage.apm !
http://pix.nofrag.com/6/e/b/5b9338bccbd480d757d1ed5d471fa.jpg (http://pix.nofrag.com/6/e/b/5b9338bccbd480d757d1ed5d471fa.html)

Is it possible that's it's only a normal file and that it is not a threat ??

Cageman
08-19-2007, 07:36 AM
It is not a threat as far as I know (installed it yesterday).

MooseDog
08-19-2007, 08:47 AM
false positive. installed here and nothing un-toward is happening.

ton anglais est mieux que mon francais :) bien fait!

thierry-lyon
08-19-2007, 08:58 AM
loll thanks, ou merci ! Ce serait donc une fausse alerte ?

So it's a false alert ? Am i the only one to have it happen ?

Matt
08-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I seriously doubt NewTek have trojans in their software!!!!

Unless downloaded from some spurious source! (Not that I'm suggesting you have mind!)

hdace
08-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I never use anti-virus software or firewalls (apart from my router). Fear of viruses is nothing more than mass-hysteria hyped up by nefarious software-wrights selling junk that messes up one's computer.

I have several dozen completely unprotected PCs and a few Macs and have never, EVER, had a serious problem with viruses (or Trojans, etc).

If you have ever had a serious problem it is 99% likely the problem was something other than a malevolent software programmer. You just never figured out what the actual problem was.

Sande
08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
I never use anti-virus software or firewalls (apart from my router). Fear of viruses is nothing more than mass-hysteria hyped up by nefarious software-wrights selling junk that messes up one's computer.
Yep, I wondered just the other day who is this guy from Kansas, who sends out all the spam... :D

Jim_C
08-19-2007, 09:32 AM
If you google that trojan, the only hits that come up center around the A-Squared software. Seems , as stated, to be a false positive within that program.

4dartist
08-19-2007, 02:11 PM
hdace - I can see what your saying about virus's not being as big as deal as the anti-virus people would have you believe, but I hope you don't see the same way about spyware. I have macs at work w/ no anti spy/virus/junk anything and have no problems, but i have been using PC's at home for most of my life and I have seen my PC get bogged up with spyware and seen friends computers be disabled completely by spyware. That stuff isn't a joke or scam at all, it plagues PCs like flies on po0p. But ya, still never even had a virus on any of the PC's I've ever owned. ;)

Ben

hdace
08-20-2007, 09:18 AM
hdace - I can see what your saying about virus's not being as big as deal as the anti-virus people would have you believe, but I hope you don't see the same way about spyware. I have macs at work w/ no anti spy/virus/junk anything and have no problems, but i have been using PC's at home for most of my life and I have seen my PC get bogged up with spyware and seen friends computers be disabled completely by spyware. That stuff isn't a joke or scam at all, it plagues PCs like flies on po0p. But ya, still never even had a virus on any of the PC's I've ever owned. ;)

Ben

What's really sad is that when people's PCs get into the state you just described they buy anti-virus software that makes their PC's even worse! But you're quite right, I've seen the same stuff you're talking about too on others' PCs but I would like to point out that if you're a professional animator you shouldn't be going to weird websites in the first place. In fact, the only sites you should ever need are this one, flay, shortbutpurple, maybe turbosquid, and a couple of others. They don't have spyware.

One can always visit dodgy sites on one's non-pro PC and spyware isn't actually that hard to remove oneself anyway. You just use the IE add-on tool and also Windows' malicious software tool works well (I've seen it remove something dodgy once).

I have to admit that after I made my rant yesterday I suddenly became paranoid that somebody (probably an employee of Norton) would target me. So far nothing bad's happened so here's keeping my fingers crossed!

Medi8or
08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
..you shouldn't be going to weird websites in the first place.The problem is finding out which sites not to visit. Some sites seems innocent enough, but the ads they serve can be damaging. Like metacafe, that you find links to in this forum, redirected me to and gave popups to Errorsafe. There are enough computer illiterate people, both adults and children, that visits sites like that, so it's hardly surprising a few get infected...