PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Question :

pumeco
08-19-2007, 05:00 AM
I've got a Modeler question for you.

Let's say I construct something in Modeler, and I have it all in one layer. Then, I switch to another layer - but have the previous one visible as a guide. My question is that when I do this, is there any way to make my points 'snap' to the geometry I'm using as a guide in the other layer? I want to model on one layer and use the geometry of the previous layer as a 'snap guide'.

Bytehawk
08-19-2007, 05:40 AM
using lwcad it is.

pumeco
08-19-2007, 06:04 AM
What version is required though?

I've got LWCAD 1.5, but I can't seem to make anything snap unless it's snapping to points on the same layer. Is there a key combination to use or something - or could you explain how to do it?

Cheers!

hrgiger
08-19-2007, 08:47 AM
It's been a while so I'm not sure what LWCAD 1.5 can and cannot do as far as snapping goes. Check your snap panel and try enabling some of the other snap modes and seeing if any of them work. I know I frequently use snapping to objects in the background. I usually have near, end, and point enabled for most things. I would really consider upgrading, LWCAD is a great and useful set of modeling tools.

SplineGod
08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Check the plugins section on flay.com. Do a search using the word 'snap'. Lots of possible tools come up. :)

pumeco
08-19-2007, 09:04 AM
@hrgiger
Yup, all snap options are enabled.

@SplineGod
Cheers, I'll check it out.

SaturnX
08-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I have to say, its now 2007... and Lightwave modeler, among many many other things... needs native snapping.
You have the option of grid snapping, which is useful, but thats as old has v5 i think.

pumeco
09-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Well I'm playing with EasySpline now (which is awesome BTW), but now more than ever I want to be able to snap to geometry on different layers, I set up all snapping options in LWCAD 1.5 and I've tried Flay.com but no luck either way.

Does anyone know for certain if it's possible to snap to geometry on a different layer?

Lewis
09-27-2007, 07:01 AM
There is few FREE snaping plugins around like SP_move and similar but LW don't have native snaping :(

Andyjaggy
09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I love SP_Move. :) And I do believe it lets you snap to background layers.

It's what LW's native move tool should be. Overall Pictix's plugs are awesome, my only complaint is he gives so many options and control with them that they can be a bit daunting to figure out.

Sensei
09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Well I'm playing with EasySpline now (which is awesome BTW),

Thanks.

but now more than ever I want to be able to snap to geometry on different layers, I set up all snapping options in LWCAD 1.5 and I've tried Flay.com but no luck either way.

Does anyone know for certain if it's possible to snap to geometry on a different layer?

If your background layer is spline model that is real-time previewed by EasySpline, it does not have real geometry that LWCAD can see.. If it's the case, go to background layer, and use Toggle Freeze Spline (or Freeze Spline to adjust mesh density -Segments value) for temporary freezing spline model to geometry.. After that LWCAD should start seeing it.. Another Toggle Freeze Spline later will remove this geometry without destroying splines..

BTW, renaming part (by Change Part Name) that's used by geometry after freezing will disable Toggle Freeze Spline from deleting it in second execution..

Surrealist.
09-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Sp_Polygon (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/index_1.html) pen tool allows you to snap to a BG layer.

pumeco
09-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks all. I've downloaded SP_Move and SP_Polygon and they're both excellent tools :)

At last I can snap to geometry on a different layer, but I'm still curious how on earth you guys are doing this with LWCAD. My version (1.5), simply will not snap to geometry on a different layer. Maybe that's something they added into the upgrade for LWCAD.

Sensei, thanks for the tip, and although I'm sorted with the snapping now, I've got a question for you regarding EasySpline. It's about using drag mode on the 'main' points of a spline with 'Point Radial' falloff. For some reason it just ignores the size of the brush (even covering many points) and only drags a single point around. I don't know whether this is something you'd need to look at, or if it's something that's not meant to work anyway.

BTW, I'm talking about the main control points of the spline, not the virtual geometry.

Sensei
09-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Sensei, thanks for the tip, and although I'm sorted with the snapping now, I've got a question for you regarding EasySpline. It's about using drag mode on the 'main' points of a spline with 'Point Radial' falloff. For some reason it just ignores the size of the brush (even covering many points) and only drags a single point around. I don't know whether this is something you'd need to look at, or if it's something that's not meant to work anyway.

BTW, I'm talking about the main control points of the spline, not the virtual geometry.

You mean LW's Drag Tool Point Radial falloff? I can't fix built-in LW tools.. That's no surprise it does not want to work with many points - like Drag Net points probably must be really connected by regular mesh.. However it's possible to make additional tool for doing it, like Spline Point tool (which also works with 1 point, but can be enhanced by multi-point mode). Spline Point "brush size" is for detecting whether you want to make new point on spline (when in brush there is absolute no point), or drag existing (when there is at least one point - in that case only the closest to camera point is dragged).

pumeco
09-29-2007, 04:42 AM
I've just tried using 'Point Radial' falloff on standard splines, and it won't work on them either. It's the first time I've noticed this, but anyway, yes it looks like a problem with LightWave not EasySpline. Point Radial falloff only seems to work on polygonal meshes, which is weird because whether you're manipulating a spline or a polygon - they all have real points defining them.

Can't imagine why Point Radial falloff shouldn't work on spline points as well as polygonal points :confused: