PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph 2007 - Some piccies...

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, I've managed to work my way through all the thousands of photo's I took while I was in the USA for a couple weeks, and here's a few images from Siggraph 2007... :D

The convention center was a pretty impressive piece of architecture. Sadly only half the available space was used for the Exhibition...

Starbucks were everywhere in the convention center, and getting a coffee took a while as the queues were pretty long...

As you can see, with only 24,043 attendees this year, the crowd wasn't as large as I experienced back in 2004. Perhaps in 2008 (Los Angeles) we'll see something larger...

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Graham Toms formed half the LightWave demo team with William Vaughan. Here we can see Graham 'horsing' around (quite literally! :D )

Christian Bloch (Aka Blochi) was there - Representing EdenFX and also promoting his new HDR book (http://www.hdrlabs.com), demonstrating some very cool plugins he'd been developing (such as Light B.I.T.C.H as seen here). The initial day was a little sketchy, but by day two, Blochi seemed to have his presentation honed and included a handful more cool images in his presentation.

Gregg Sullivan was also about - Some nice presentations, tips and examples from Gregg.

cresshead
08-18-2007, 07:42 PM
what's light b.i.t.c.h???

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Todd grimes was a pleasure to listen to, chatting about character animation in LightWave. In fact, I won a Todd Grimes DVD at the NewTek booth - Which sadly ended up being a wrongly labelled 'Intro to Poser' disc instead! Doh! :D

Taron was an interesting character, and really fun to watch work - His bizarre personality really made for an enjoyable presentation. And what a pleasure to watch work so quickly...

Ron Thornton was also there - Unfortunately I missed pretty much most of his presentation, but I did snap this piccy between himself and Rex Olsen...

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
light B.I.T.C.H is Blochi's cool new HDRI - to - LightDome tool that ships with the book. Very slick piece of kit, interactive and tweakable too!

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
The guys from Massive were there touting their wares. Some nice examples of production workflow, how Massive was used and how it worked...

The usual punters like Maxon also about - One thing I must say, however, was how impressed I was with their Demo disk. Not only containing the installers for C4D and Bodypaint, but a LOT of eye candy, user stories, and more!

ILM/LucasArts had great presentations. These guys were well worth hanging out at to see what they were going to talk about next. I managed to catch a presentation on their new Singapore branch, and also a great speel on creating the robots in Transformers, including some interesting looks at the rigging and animation process...

cresshead
08-18-2007, 08:02 PM
thanks for the info on light b.i.t.c.h...looks neat!

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
And just a few final images from me. I have more, but nothing overly exciting (unless you find photo's of crowds of people interesting).

However, I can't say I left Siggraph feeling any real Buzz this time around. The whole event felt much smaller then I experienced in 2004 (in LA) and there just didnt seem to be too many people about.

Perhaps 2008 in LA will be different... Time to start saving up again...

Anybody else got piccies to post here?

Kev.

bluerider
08-18-2007, 08:12 PM
kevman3d,
Thanks for posting the pics :thumbsup:

You traveled all the way from New Zealand :bowdown:

kevman3d
08-18-2007, 09:05 PM
You traveled all the way from New Zealand :bowdown:

Yup, and a pity the whole event felt so flat at the end. Was a little annoyed there was no NewTek party (XSI had a couple of events, and someone (Autodesk?) had a huge party on the USS Midway the first night. I'm sure others had parties and events around San Diego)

Would have been great to catch up with more people - But the NewTek booth wasn't the most accessible this time around, rather feeling more like standing in a line at MacDonalds to get to talk to anybody behind the counter. In 2004, it was easy to get swamped in by loads of passers-by... That way, I met a load of people...

Perhaps in 2008, eh?

Nicolas Jordan
08-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for posting your pics! Looks like there were some pretty good presentations. Hopfully we will get to see the videos of the event soon that Newtek had taken. I will just have to spend my moldy money and go to see it with my own bare eyes one of these times.

MooseDog
08-18-2007, 10:52 PM
...there was no NewTek party...

while i respect the giant job being done by a small company, that's kinda lame imho. if you're not getting people drunk, you're not getting people excited about your product. what's going on down there in tx?

riki
08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Cool pix many thanks for posting

kilvano
08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
On a vista machine no doubt!