PDA

View Full Version : Demo Mode Effects?

raisinface
08-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi All.

I am a complete LW newbie with no artistic skills whatsoever. That being said...

I have some books on LW 8. I have access to an LW 7.5 in Demo mode and LW8 in Discovery mode. I'm trying to model a spray bottle (yep, 'cause I thought it would be easy).

I'm trying to get a bezier curve going. I can't find the tool in either version. Is this a "demo mode" issue? Am I wasting my time looking for tools that won't show up unless I have a dongle? Or am I an utterly blind idiot? (not that my current problem would be the only sufficient condition to deserve the title)

Ugh.

SplineGod
08-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Create-------Curve--------Bezier

raisinface
08-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Larry. This definitely confirms what the book and the help said.

Unfortunately for me, both versions of LightWave only present me with:

Create ----- Curves(8)/Elements(7.5) ----- Make Curve ----- Make Open Curve / Make Closed Curve

No Bezier for me.

So it sounds like demo/discovery mode hides (utterly) some set of really useful tools.

:bangwall:

cagey5
08-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Try this..
Under the edit key, click 'edit menu layout'
click on the search key and type 'bezier'
If it highlights in the left hand column then you have it.
If it is greyed out then click 'find' and it will show you which menu it is hiding in.
If however it is in dark text then it hasn't been assigned, so simply drag it into the right hand window where you would like it to appear in your menus.

raisinface
08-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi, Cagey.

Thanks for the tip!

Both versions report 'command search string not found'.

I successfully searched for things that *are* in the menu (like Paste Tool). Other than 7.5 search apparently being case-sensitive, I got them both to easily work for things other than 'Bezier'.

Under 'Command->Create' on the left side, there is no Bezier listed.

I also find that I am unable to load background images for reference (not only my own, but also those from Essential Lightwave 3D [8]). No errors. It just seems to be ignoring the fact that it went through the motions of asking me which file I wanted to load, me selecting it, me hitting 'open'...

So, I am concluding that demo/discovery mode is utterly worthless for any task that resembles something someone might actually have to *do*...

- Jason :bangwall:

cagey5
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
I'd get the latest version from here..

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial/

though they seem to be updating it at the moment so it may be next week before you can download.