PDA

View Full Version : How to download and install v9.3 universal binary

gordonbaty
08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
To save you digging through recent posts to figure out how to get the new Universal Binary version of Lightwave, here's a quick summary. Hopefully someone with half a brain cell at Newtek will think about making this a little more obvious for the customers pretty soon... meanwhile I'll put you out of your misery.

1. Click on the Registration link, under the Customer Care menu at the top of this webpage. Log in, then click the My Downloads link. Look for the v9.3 Universal Binary link (for some reason the Beta is listed before this on the page - don't download that one)
2. When you've downloaded the file, edit the filename and put .zip on the end as it's misnamed(!). Double click to unzip it, and you'll get a disk image. Open the disk image and copy the new Lightwave folder to the Applications folder on your hard drive.
3. Now open the folder of your *old* install of Lightwave and copy the file called license.key to the following folder:

~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Note that this folder is in the Library under your user directory, not the Library at the root level of your hard drive.

That should do it. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Largemedium
08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Pretty cool that you posted these instruction. Too bad the UB version isn't there. The link is there... just no file. I get the following message:

Safari can’t open the page “ftp://lw9download:[email protected]/lw9.3.0_mac32UB.dmg” because it could not load any data from this location.

Wonder if others are having the same trouble?

brian.coates
08-17-2007, 08:28 PM

That's an affirmative.

aa1037
08-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Same here (also get an error in Camino) - seems like it's going to be a long weekend.

Largemedium
08-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Damn! Tried to edit my post earlier but got timed out!

The link in Safari wasn't working for me, so I logged in with Fetch and found the file. The link is incorrect.

The file name ends with DMG but the link is for ZIP. Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Scazzino
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Damn! Tried to edit my post earlier but got timed out!

The link in Safari wasn't working for me, so I logged in with Fetch and found the file. The link is incorrect.

The file name ends with DMG but the link is for ZIP. Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Try again, I think it's fixed now...

Chilton
08-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi guys,

This is a result of our registration system branding everything a .zip last time we tried this, totally screwing up the DMG downloads. This time around, it looks like it got it backwards. I suspect this will be cleared up shortly.

Thanks,
-Chilton

aa1037
08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, not for me. Just tried in Safari and get the same error as above and Camino gives me "550 Failed to change directory". Not much of a web guy so I'm not sure what all this means.

Edit: Thanks Chilton - seems you beat me to the post

Largemedium
08-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Try again, I think it's fixed now...

I already downloaded it with FTP...

But since I'm curious, I thought I'd try it again. I reloaded the downloads page and clicked on the link. Not working. Broken link.

The Fix:

Right click or control click on the link name. Choose open link in new window. It will launch a new full browser window with a 404 file can't be found error. Look in the URL and notice that the file name reads as "dmg". Change the dmg to zip and hit the return key. The file will start downloading.

Largemedium
08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi guys,

This is a result of our registration system branding everything a .zip last time we tried this, totally screwing up the DMG downloads. This time around, it looks like it got it backwards. I suspect this will be cleared up shortly.

Thanks,
-Chilton

Chilton working late? Again? Hmmm... seems the work is never done eh? Go home... we'll take if from here.

Thanks for the UB!!!!!!!!!!!

Scazzino
08-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, it's still the wrong link... I must have clicked the Open Beta links when it worked...

Yes you can just change the ".dmg" to ".zip" in the address bar and reload...

fxgeek
08-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Pretty cool that you posted these instruction. Too bad the UB version isn't there. The link is there... just no file. I get the following message:

Safari can’t open the page “ftp://lw9download:..............dmg” because it could not load any data from this location.

Do you realise you just posted the full private ftp address with log in and password to a public forum? You might want to edit that message and remove the log in details.

kfinla
08-18-2007, 01:56 PM
To save you digging through recent posts to figure out how to get the new Universal Binary version of Lightwave, here's a quick summary. Hopefully someone with half a brain cell at Newtek will think about making this a little more obvious for the customers pretty soon... meanwhile I'll put you out of your misery.

1. Click on the Registration link, under the Customer Care menu at the top of this webpage. Log in, then click the My Downloads link. Look for the v9.3 Universal Binary link (for some reason the Beta is listed before this on the page - don't download that one)
2. When you've downloaded the file, edit the filename and put .zip on the end as it's misnamed(!). Double click to unzip it, and you'll get a disk image. Open the disk image and copy the new Lightwave folder to the Applications folder on your hard drive.
3. Now open the folder of your *old* install of Lightwave and copy the file called license.key to the following folder:

Note that this folder is in the Library under your user directory, not the Library at the root level of your hard drive.

I ENDED UP HAVING TO MAKE A LIGHTWAVE3D FOLDER in my ~/library/preferences directory.. all my LW9 prefs were just sitting free.. so made that folder and put my 9.2 liscence key file in there and no more discovery mode.

Largemedium
08-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Do you realise you just posted the full private ftp address with log in and password to a public forum? You might want to edit that message and remove the log in details.

Well, it's not actually private, anyway...

I couldn't edit the message due to the time limit. I tried soon as I realized what I did. I sent a message to customer service but they didn't remove my post... so it's probably not a big deal. It's not like that is a super secret area and the log-in password is easily attainable by anyone who knows what to look for.

But hey, thanks for the reminder for my F.U.

loki74
08-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks NT for all the hard work (and especially Chilton for communicating and keeping us up to date). The UB looks great! I've downloaded it and am running it without any problems.

I hope Pixologic takes your guys' lead....(>_< *)

melmoth2
08-19-2007, 06:00 AM
I've downloaded the file and installed but my User/Library/Preferences folder doesn't have a LightWave3D folder. I created one but no luck - the program is running in discovery mode. Any suggestions as to where I should put the license.key?

Chilton
08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi,

To allow LW to work for just one user:
You need to create a folder called LightWave3D in the user's ~/Library/Preferences/ folder. The license.key file has to go in there. This lets you support multiple users on one Mac, in the event the Mac is shared between more than one person with more than one hardware dongle.

To allow LW to work for all users on a single Mac:
Create a folder called LightWave3D in the main /Library/Preferences/ folder. The license.key file has to go in there. Your hardware dongle will work for all users on that Mac while it is plugged in.

The license.key file has to be a plain text file (not .rtf). Rename it to remove the .txt extension, so the complete file name is just 'license.key'. It has to contain the right serial number to match your hardware dongle.

HTH,
-Chilton

Skritter
08-19-2007, 09:53 AM
How? When? do we/I get a permanent license key for the OSX UB.

There is only a full license key for Windows and beta license for UB in my profile with 23 days remaining.

Skritter

plandrey
08-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey guys!

I've got my copy of UB, but I found it really interesting how my Mac connected to Newtek's FTP site. It actually appeared as an icon on my desktop sort of like a network drive. (see attachments)

So, I simply dragged the files I needed to my desktop and the copy dialog appeared showing the progress.

Is this supposed to happen? It's never happened this way before and seems rather odd.

Maybe somethings up with the settings... might want to check it out.

Thanks for the UB, can't wait to test it in the lab!

Cheers!

Chilton
08-19-2007, 11:20 PM
While odd that you got the whole directory listing, it's not entirely bad. FTP servers can be accessed (in a read only manner) directly from the Finder.

Alternatively, you can type command+k in the finder, and type an ftp address there, to have that mount as a network drive.

-Chilton

JeffrySG
08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
To save you digging through recent posts to figure out how to get the new Universal Binary version of Lightwave, here's a quick summary.

cheers on that quick run down!!!

--Jeff

ackees
08-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Great tip kfinla.
You also need to delete all the old Preferences - save on another disk (only the License key left in the ~/library/preferences directory/Lightwave3D folder).

TheDynamo
08-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I just did a fresh install of 9.3 (UB) on a Mac Pro and tried to install the web help files. Lightwave is not seeing them, is there a configuration line to modify?

-Dyn

tuffi
08-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Download worked just fine for me with firefox and Speed Download, just had trouble with the discovery mode in the beginning but now after i read where to place the license.key correctly everything works fine. Thanx for the help. :-))

Burndog
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi,

To allow LW to work for just one user:
You need to create a folder called LightWave3D in the user's ~/Library/Preferences/ folder. The license.key file has to go in there. This lets you support multiple users on one Mac, in the event the Mac is shared between more than one person with more than one hardware dongle.

To allow LW to work for all users on a single Mac:
Create a folder called LightWave3D in the main /Library/Preferences/ folder. The license.key file has to go in there. Your hardware dongle will work for all users on that Mac while it is plugged in.

The license.key file has to be a plain text file (not .rtf). Rename it to remove the .txt extension, so the complete file name is just 'license.key'. It has to contain the right serial number to match your hardware dongle.

HTH,
-Chilton

I wish this worked but alas, a no-go on my Intel Duo Powerbook.

Install went smooth but no matter where I put the license.key file and even if the application generates it itself with a nice success message, it fails to see or read the file on a restart after leaving Discovery mode.

And the GI render speed difference is significant against my workstation G5, when tested on the laptop in Discovery mode. Frustrating.

Chilton
08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Alrighty, let's see if we can figure this out...
1) Unmount that other Macintosh HD. See if that helps. It shouldn't, we're not using the old-style paths that would be affected by this anymore, but it's worth a shot.
2) The contents of that file... if you open it in BBEdit (Which is what that file icon appears to be), does it show the same number you have at register.newtek.com next to that key?

Let's start there. Because it looks like the rest of this is covered. Also, make sure there are no license.key files in the main /Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/ folder, if it exists, and make sure you don't have a license.key file in the SharedSupport folder next to the apps.

And if that still doesn't do it, move that license.key file to the SharedSupport
folder next to the apps. That should *always* work, but it's less user-specific (and if you trash the install, you trash your license, too).
-Chilton

Burndog
08-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Alrighty, let's see if we can figure this out...
1) Unmount that other Macintosh HD. See if that helps. It shouldn't, we're not using the old-style paths that would be affected by this anymore, but it's worth a shot.
2) The contents of that file... if you open it in BBEdit (Which is what that file icon appears to be), does it show the same number you have at register.newtek.com next to that key?

Let's start there. Because it looks like the rest of this is covered. Also, make sure there are no license.key files in the main /Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/ folder, if it exists, and make sure you don't have a license.key file in the SharedSupport folder next to the apps.

And if that still doesn't do it, move that license.key file to the SharedSupport
folder next to the apps. That should *always* work, but it's less user-specific (and if you trash the install, you trash your license, too).
-Chilton

Chilton,
I unmounted the other drive.
I did also try the method of putting a license key in the SharedSupport folder.

I will now remove all the license keys from both discussed locations and try again, first from the default means of generating the key from within LW Discovery Mode. I will also try different numbers from my Products area as I was testing out my original number as opposed to the constantly changing beta number.

Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance,

Steve

Chilton
08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Steve,

I think the presence of a beta key in the list before the key for your dongle will make it fail. You can get rid of the beta keys now that we're no longer in beta, if you have those in your license file.

-Chilton

Burndog
08-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I will also try different numbers from my Products area as I was testing out my original number as opposed to the constantly changing beta number.

Allrighty then... Can't use any old numbers as it will return the error that the license can't be found when in fact it's just a number it is not happy with.

I now have 20 days...

Thanks again for the prompt help!

How about those issues holding up Worley from updating FPrime to a version that will work with UB? From what I understand it's (2) LW bugs that are documented but not being addressed that's holding him up. I'm sure you guys have only so many hours in a day so hopefully those peripheral issues will get cleared up soon.

Appreciated,

Steve