PDA

View Full Version : Blender and 3Dconnexion

calilifestyle
08-17-2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=3dconnexion_announces_support_for_bl ender

before LW huh BTW i know a lot of ppl want LW to have 3Dconnexion support but i just dont see the need lol i have spaceball 5000 for solidworks i dont use it its a wast of space. but thats doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to have one.

Matt
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm wondering, what's stopping the support for LightWave on this? Is it because the SDK won't allow it, or because 3DConnexion don't deem LightWave worthy?

jaf
08-17-2007, 07:43 PM
"or because 3DConnexion don't deem LightWave worthy?"

or the reverse.

I inherited a spacepilot and used it a lot with Hexagon. But you do have to be able to use both hands.

It would be great for selection purposes in the perspective viewport.

I'm going to fire off a letter to 3DConnexion to see if they wil comment.

Titus
08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
It's funny, I've found Ton Roosendaal very annoyed because he couldn't make his own Blender to run with the spacenavigator, he finally solved the problem. I'm pretty sure the people of 3DConnexion could land a hand to NT if they want to implement this cool device, I have one and I'm sure will be very useful.

SplineGod
08-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Id say its more a lack of interest by the end user. :)

Titus
08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
That's true. I bought the spacenavigator because:

a) Was a bargain at $55.

b) I'm planning to use it with Blender for interactive games.

cresshead
08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
i use mine with 3dsmax...tis pretty cool...take a couple of hours to get used to it but it's worth the cost...also works with google earth!

achrystie
08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Id say its more a lack of interest by the end user. :)

I'd buy one if Lightwave, and/or for that matter ZBrush would support it.

It doesn't take much in the way of time or effort to write code to support these types of things. It would seem a no brainer to offer support to stay competitive with MAX, Maya, Cinema 4D, and now even Blender that "do" support this device.

My personal opinion is that between the lack of mouse customization, that is possible in programs like Modo and Silo, and the less than intuitive/simple navigation scheme that Lightwave offers (the screen navigation defaults are the thing I dislike the "most" in Lightwave), there should be "some" bending on this issue by the developer. Particularly considering that 1) competitors are going this route 2) navigating the window is the single most common thing the user has to do in these programs, and it would seem to make sense to try and please as many people as possible in this regard, by being as customizable, progressive, and flexible as possible.
To be honest, I don't even use Lightwave modeler because it is SO much easier and more intuitive to model in Silo, navigation being a big part of this. When I "have" to use Modeler, the navigation alone, combined with its lack of customization makes me feel like I have 10 thumbs, a little device like this could alleviate a lot of those issues I'm sure.

ABC

cresshead
08-17-2007, 11:52 PM
if zbrush 3.1 got a space nav driver that would be flipping brill!
..pen in one hand....space nav in the other!