PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet Brainstorming

John the Geek
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I have a lot of Intel iMacs at my disposal. Too many, in fact, that I'm now looking into reasonable ways to use them in a ScreamerNet setup. So if anyone would like to brainstorm with me here, I'm going to look at some options to get this going.

The first caveat I have is that these machines are directory-bound. So when they sit there, no user is logged in. So If I mount my LightWave directory it has to be as root. Since only a logged in user can mount shares.

The second issue I have is accessing the ScreamerNet binary. I have access to QMaster nodes on these machines for running in mode -3, but I suppose I could just as well send shell commands via Apple Remote Desktop too. Again, just run the binary as root and use mode -2 with a controller.

Any other thoughts? Things I missed? Anyone else in this boat too?

=)

eblu
08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
john, based on easy feedback, I have every intention of writing a big brother app, once 10.5 ships.

but... all you really need is that launcher I wrote and put up in the UBBeta forum, and applescript.

John the Geek
08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
all you really need is that launcher I wrote and put up in the UBBeta forum, and applescript.

But... can you run AppleScripts with users logged out?

Which launcher are you referring to? It's been a while. I'll go look.

eblu
08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
you can run apple scripts remotely... after you enable it in the system preferences.
with AS you can launch applications remotely. so all you need to do in advance is have a logical setup.