PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL - Pixar wants to know interest for Rendeman!

Ade
06-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Pixar wants to know the interest for osx (https://renderman.pixar.com/products/news/power_mac_G5.html)

email them here at this and place subject as "Renderman for mac"-
[email protected]

Lets get to work!

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 10:44 AM
So that must mean they haven't done the port to OS X. They must have just had an icon in the dock to tease everyone.

mlinde
06-25-2003, 10:49 AM
If you post, be honest that you are going to drop the $2,000-$3,500 on renderman. Don't post just to have them do the work. It's an honest evaluation of the likelyhood that it will be wanted and needed, not a "make it for the Mac so we can say it exists."

Ade
06-25-2003, 10:57 AM
I think its already done because they ask for beta testers..

If Renderman doesnt exhist on mac, how are ppl going to try it to like it.
thats what happened to Maya, now its selling huge on macs, lightwave too.
See for many Renderman is the missing link to going full mac, some say 3Dmax is too.
Companies like ILM use these types of setups but use pc cause some software isnt on the mac like this.

Johnny
06-25-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm curious about something...

renderman is no doubt an impressive product, but let's say the price IS about $2000 US...that's not something your average Joe is going to do unless he has a healthy animation business..

so, it's more of a tool that a company would buy..an animation company with a large staff and buckets of computers.

I have learned that the 3D world is by far and away a PC/Sun/SGI-dominated world..

Does pixar believe that 3D houses are going to start using many more macs? will there be all-Mac 3D houses?

J

DaveW
06-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
So that must mean they haven't done the port to OS X. They must have just had an icon in the dock to tease everyone.

From what I understand, that's a renderman benchmark app, not the actual Renderman renderer. Even if it is the full app, they may not sell it due to support issues. If they're going to sell Renderman for OSX, it has to be rock solid and they will need to hire/train staff to do tech support for it. Just because it was ported (which probably didn't take that much work, they have it on other Unix OS's) doesn't mean that it will be profitable to sell/support it for OSX.

Jimzip
06-25-2003, 10:01 PM
I would love to write and say that I'd love Renderman for the Mac.. But that wouldn't be right, see I would like Renderman to be on the Mac, but I wouldn't be able to buy it.. However, I'm so interested in starting up a studio, or going to work for a studio (the latter= more likely choice) that it would be good to be able to buy Renderman in a few years time when I really need it.
I probably shouldn't write to them I guess.. :(

Jimzip:D

Ade
06-26-2003, 03:54 AM
Well just like any app that gets ported there is a degree of risk it wont meet numbers.
BUT

Steve jobs could use his bias to sell xserve G5's with bundled renderman packages to get that baby out to the public.
Maya was a big risk that was purely ported because Steve jobs asked his friend CEO of Maya it would be a good decision.
NOW none asked for it, there was no petition, it paid off and now 3d on the mac is all about Lightwave or Maya...and c4d...

Beamtracer
06-26-2003, 04:14 AM
Well, we all saw Luxology's Brad Peebler up on stage with Steve Jobs. Also on the same stage was Pixar's chief Ed Catmull. Maybe they had time for a little chat. Maybe they could get some kind of synergy going.

Red_Oddity
06-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Or it might have been something like...

"Yeah...well not in here, people are watching..."
"What you afraid, pwooaak, pwooaaak, you chicken?"
"Okay tough guy, you wanna take it outside?"
"Bring it on..."

And that is when they stepped of stage...

Ade
06-26-2003, 05:53 AM
How does Lightwave play with Renderman?

Red_Oddity
06-26-2003, 06:18 AM
Hmmmm...now there's some room for speculation concerning the upcoming LW8...

Rey
06-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Pixar says they are gauging interest but we all know who the CEO is. My guess is that Renderman will go Mac and hopefully Jobs/Pixar can deliver it at a reduced price for Mac users as Jobs/Apple has done with Shake.

Crocodilian
06-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Steve Jobs' dual role is worth commenting on here. He has a unique legal/corporate tangle here, and I suspect that having a flood of "I want Renderman for Mac" responses will go a long way to satisfying legal against the possibility that Pixar shareholders might claim conflict of interest.

He really has an interesting legal challenge: he's Chairman and CEO of Pixar, and he's CEO of Apple. I'm not aware of any other exec who holds dual roles like this.

So send those replies in-- this actually matters, I think. . .

riki
06-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Shake is about ten grand isn't it? That's a complete toss in my book.

Beamtracer
06-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Crocodilian
"I want Renderman for Mac" responses will go a long way to satisfying legal Crocodilian: That's an interesting take on the Steve Jobs conflict of interest. I never thought about it like that. Sounds plausible.

riki: Shake is around US$5000 for a Mac license, and US$10,000 for a Linux or Irix license. Shake is one of the few apps that handles 32bpc compositing in a meaningful way. It's dirt cheap compared to other equipment used for film or television, though expensive compared to consumer software.

As for Renderman, you'd think they could have called for responses before they ported anything to OS X.

Originally posted by Johnny
I have learned that the 3D world is by far and away a PC/Sun/SGI-dominated world. Software used to create feature film is very much in the UNIX domain, rather than Microsoft Windows. A lot of production houses avoid Windows like the plague. It's much easier to port their apps to other UNIX based OSs (like OS X) than to Windows. Mac OS X could gain some ground here. Imagine a cluster of G5 X-Serves for rendering!

riki
06-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks Beam, of course I meant ten grand in Australian dollars :)

If I was shelling out that sort of money for software, I wouldn't give a thought for the 32bit compositing, I'd be expecting open heart surgery and the stock exchange reports 3 days early :)