PDA

View Full Version : Why, o why?

jurupari
08-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Got a really odd behavior by rendering a simple arch scene. The glass surface (see images) is a mirrorish, non-transparent surf. The strange thing is that, when I render with "Ray trace reflections" on, one side of the glass simply is -not- rendered, just like it was not there. Yes, normals face the right way... first thing I checked. Also tried to change light type and position, camera type: same thing.
More oddness: removing all objects positioned -above- the glass surf, or rendering the glass alone renders normally, with all options turned on.

Can some LW guru explain this? Thanks for all kind replies.

Tommaso

Sensei
08-17-2007, 12:56 PM
What's your Ray Recursion Limit?

iconoclasty
08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think I understand. It doesn't really look like it's "not there" to me. The first screen seems to show the surface reflecting a backdrop and the second seems to be the surface reflecting the backdrop and the walls adjacent to it.
Obviously I'm not familiar with this scene so my grasp of it is very limited.

Exception
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
What Lw version is this?
What way are the normals of those misisng polys facing?

Have you tried to use double sided as a temporary solution?

*EDIT*
I'm with iconoclasty on second look. looks fine to me.

Twisted_Pixel
08-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Agreed, looks fine to me too.

The grey block on the corner looks a bit out of place in the scene, but as its in both, I assume it's intentional.

Ztreem
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't get it. It looks allright to me, it just reflects the window on the side as it would in real life. Maybe you could lower the reflection amount if you don't like the effect.

jurupari
08-17-2007, 08:51 PM
... I read the final image the wrong way! You're right, it's fine... don't know why my brain thought I had to see the sky of the background image on the side glass too... Sorry, my fault.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies.
Tommaso