PDA

View Full Version : Hail to Diedond, best of all!!

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 02:42 AM
I'd like to take this moment (the release of LW9.3) to say what a great guy Diedond is.

Smart, witty and an incomparableforeteller of all things LW. He should run for office, once Kodova gains independence. With him at the helm, he would lead the country to truly great things. :bowdown: :bowdown:

I am a quivering pustule of LW lameness in comparison to his shining beacon o' 'Waving finnesse.

To paraphrase the immortal Harry Harrison:

Hail to Diedond, best of all!
Always ready, and on the ball
Never tired. Never weary.
Always happy, always cheery!

*Pete*
08-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Who is Diedond?

Iain
08-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Diedond Über Alles!

(I have no idea who diedond is or what this is about but I like it!)

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Diedond (http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=61497) is one of our illustrious cohorts, who turned out to be a tad more prescient than I ;).

colkai
08-17-2007, 04:57 AM
okay, I'll bite, hehe, just why is he so hailed as prescient ? :)

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 05:13 AM
We had a gentlemans agreement, which he won. What a guy! Did I say he is the cats whiskers? The dog nadgers? The great Kahuna? He is all that and more :D :bowdown: :bowdown:

P.S.I'd also like to apologise for misspelling Kosova. I only hope it gains it independance sooner rather than later.

DiedonD
08-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Wow I dont know what to say... I was never put on spot light like this before.

Oh me and Dan had an agreement one day, that it seems Ive won. A waiger (if Ive put it correctly) sort of speak. I said Newtek would be focusing on anything else but animation throughout the LW9 cycle, and he said that they will focus on animation one time or another.

If I win he would do this, what you see now, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And If I loose I had something else to do for him.

But... as much as I like all this.... The LW9 cycle isnt over yet Dan! You still have a chance to win!

P.S - to Dan Braker aka Dogboy - WHERE ON EARTH HAVE YOU BEEN FOR MONTHS?!?! Thats more important. I mean, I knew you were bussy an all, but you were nowhere to be found here or on Skype?!

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 05:50 AM
I said Newtek would be focusing on anything else but animation throughout the LW9 cycle, and he said that they will focus on animation one time or another.

Actually the wager was for the next point release, not 9.x in general.
I've been way too busy. Busy, busy, busy :D .

Dan

DiedonD
08-17-2007, 06:04 AM
What a surprise indeed...

Since we are talking about Kosova... I think its about time I say something I always wanted to say to you my fellow LWvers... Its been long time Ive been holding these words in me.... But here we go

Kosova as you may find misspelled for a Kosovo on wikipedia, had alot undergoing for throughout of the last 2000 years. But sometime in the first 2 decades of year 2nd millenium, it will alas gain its independence, and all the contribution that were done from so many people, with whatever resources that were available (some with their lives, some with their bombs etc) throughout those 2000 years, would inevitably accomplish its final destination, which is Kosovas Independence.

And most of worldwide countries did contribute in recent years to that aim aswell. Thereby comes my GRAND OFFER.

Whenever we become independent, and thats due in 110 days according to the latest politics, I would like WHOMEVER is interested to come here and join this grand, grand national feast!!! Ill take care of all of you who are interested, just find a way to get here.

Im doing this, cause your my fellow good hearted LW-avers, cause I want to get through with my message just how big this whole issue is, and because I just NEEEEED to have one chance at least, to somehow show my gratitude to those who got involved in one way or another, one small indirect, or great and direct way, to the above mentioned 2000 year old aim.

There I said it... now let me sit here and breath....

colkai
08-17-2007, 06:25 AM
well Skype is up the wazoo at present so I can't talk to anyone! wahhhh :p
been that way for 2 days now

Lewis
08-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Hehehe Kosovo is far far away from London but who knows maybe DogBoy have few free days to visit you in 110 days. I'm on his way to Prizren/Kosovo (Osijek) so he can stop for a rest here ;).

Captain Obvious
08-17-2007, 07:08 AM
What a strange thread...

And I'd be up for a trip to Kosovo!

Dan, you up for lunch one of these days?

*Pete*
08-17-2007, 07:18 AM
What a strange thread...

I wouldnt...there was a recent forestfire in the area (well, ex-jugoslavia) and firefighters had great deal of difficulties to stop the fire...mainly thanks to antipersonel mines and stuff left over after the war. :)

i would be watching my steps, if i would be you :D

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 07:43 AM
What a strange thread...

Dan, you up for lunch one of these days?

Of course, I'd love to catch up.

Next Weds OK?

Dan

Captain Obvious
08-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Next wednesday sounds good.

cagey5
08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Ooops wrong place

starbase1
08-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Given the difficulty of organising a meeting in London for people who live in London, I'll be seriously impressed if this one gets done!

Exception
08-17-2007, 08:05 AM
What happened to the supposed celebration this summer?

Noone came?

Captain Obvious
08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Given the difficulty of organising a meeting in London for people who live in London, I'll be seriously impressed if this one gets done!
If you want to stop by the Old Street / City Road area on wednesday around lunchtime, feel free to do so! :thumbsup:

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 08:41 AM
LOL, I think he meant getting a Kosova trip going.

Captain Obvious
08-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

DogBoy
08-17-2007, 10:32 AM

No one could agree on a date, i.e. Blair, Bush et al.

So everyone, i.e. the the Kosovan people, are hanging in there waiting, hoping that the global Risk/Diplomacy players get it together soon.

World politics, not reknowned for its speed to get stuff done.

DiedonD
08-18-2007, 03:09 AM

Noone came?

You mean the grand independent day celebration. We are waiting still on it.

And we are kinda loosing patience aswell.

Also... The fires are gone, no mines in rural and other good sites that I want to take you. Not a trace of war remained, its safe.

Guys... Allow me to tell you how my country is called. Beeing its citizen, I should know better. Its proper name is KosovA (Ive emphasized the end with an "A"), it doesnt ends with an "O", but like most world countries it ends with an "A". Like Austria, Australia, Croatia, and the like. It would feel ouckward if some people would call these places with an "O" in the end like Americo, Austrio, etc, wouldnt it?

Its the same for Kosova. What I find rediculous in Wikipedia is that it says "Kosova is just an albanian name for Kosovo". Its crazy! Albanians are 90% of Kosovar population, and we name our land Kosova. Whos to say how it should be named appart from us?!

Anyway, yes this is a trip offer. Whoever is interested to get here on that great day, just handle the ticket, and Ill take care of the rest when you arrive here.

Its mine to invite you as guests. Its yours to decide weather or not to get here.

DiedonD
08-18-2007, 05:30 AM
Well, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

It sure would! Talk to each other, come here either in groups or one by one. We could even declare here whose coming. The more you come the better?

For any questions and concerns you can either ask here, or PM me :) :thumbsup:

Exception
08-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Guys... Allow me to tell you how my country is called. Beeing its citizen, I should know better....

Join the ranks of the 'dutch' people... I feel your pain...
Our country is called 'Nederland', half of the world calls it 'Holland', which is just two of its many provinces, thus completely wrong, the rest translates it into their own version (Netherlands, Pays-Bas, Niederlande), and then as if that wasn't enough the English call its inhabitants Dutch, and no one seems to know why, or why it so closely resembles the German word for the German language (Deutsch), but not surprisingly many seem to think the country is a German province...

I can only symphathise with the north-belgians who speak flemish which is actually a form of dutch... explain that to Dubya.

:)

StereoMike
08-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Hah! It's the same here. Everyone thinks all Germans eat Weisswurst and Sauerkraut and run around in ridiculous leather shorts. Bavarians...I guess that's why the rest of the country don't like 'em :D

mike

Captain Obvious
08-19-2007, 05:11 AM
"So, is it true you guys have polar bears running around on the streets?"

There are plenty of annoying preconceptions about Swedish people, too...

DogBoy
08-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Way to go guys, 3 subjects in less than 2 pages. you guys rock :thumbsup:

Exception
08-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Way to go guys, 3 subjects in less than 2 pages. you guys rock :thumbsup:

Yeah! And my new Cinematic orchestra albums rocks too, seriously... check them out, and don't forget to get an oil change, or to peel out your ingrown hairs...!

(Gambling, check, Politics, check, International stupidity, check, culture, check, everyday engineering chores, check, personal hygiene (or lack thereof) check)

Captain Obvious
08-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I cooked the most amazing bolognese tonight! I even put zucchinis or whatever they're called in it!

Sande
08-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Hmmh, strange that my Maine Coon kitten isn't growing any faster. He is now 14 weeks and although I've fed him with raw meat, eggs and special kitten food he weights exactly the same than a week ago... Maybe it is a bug, better get that reported. I'm running 9.3 by the way.

*Pete*
08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Its the same for Kosova. What I find rediculous in Wikipedia is that it says "Kosova is just an albanian name for Kosovo". Its crazy! Albanians are 90% of Kosovar population, and we name our land Kosova. Whos to say how it should be named appart from us?!

Hah!!

Finland...is populated more than 90 procent by finnish people...we call our nation Suomi, and the rest of the world calls our nation Finland.

...your upset becouse of ONE letter ;)

hope you have a great time at the indepedence day :):thumbsup:

*Pete*
08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Join the ranks of the 'dutch' people... I feel your pain...
Our country is called 'Nederland', half of the world calls it 'Holland',

:)

Half is still 50-50...half of the world know how what your nation is called.

finland, is the wrong name for Suomi, but used by more than 99% of the worlds population :(

loki74
08-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm from Nevada... some people call it Nev-aahhhh-dah (a as in "awful" as opposed to a as in "apple.")

Is that enough to get me into this club? XD

DiedonD
08-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Hah!!

Finland...is populated more than 90 procent by finnish people...we call our nation Suomi, and the rest of the world calls our nation Finland.

...your upset becouse of ONE letter ;)

hope you have a great time at the indepedence day :):thumbsup:

Ok then... we should start here. Change should start here. We should know better than be named in any other way but how it really is.

I already started calling Deutschland for the one they have named for a "Germany" for some strange reason :hey:

I have no problem with Suomi. In fact it sounds strangely inviting to me. Suomi.... Sounds exotic! Anyone else getting it like that by the sound of it?

And also I didnt even know that Nederland people arent Dutch people.

And perhaps thats the core of all this. Perhaps quite simply people dont know, and what they do know is what ridiculously others are trying to impose a name for a certain place. How silly is that?!

Reminds me of British correctional officers that came here at one time. One employer was named Rexhep (RE-J-EP). They couldnt called him in anyway like his real name. Oh so they just started calling him Nigel instead!

It may be that at some point it just grew from there.

People didnt know, didnt had noone to tell them appart from news and politics, but we now have the internet, and we can know for good!

The "O" just must go my friends, together with all the darkness and chaos it bringed along with it. Its Kosova... and for my part, I will sure as heck call your precisely what you are, as opposed to what thay named you, which is ridicoulous beyond belief to me.

Appart from that... Whats the situation about people getting here on that great day. Captain Obvious and Dogboy sound interested to me :thumbsup:

Pete...?! You wish us a great day, but does that sound like youre not coming?!

My offer stands. Im gonna need to makeup a list you know?! Go ahead everyone, say YAY or NAY :)

*Pete*
08-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Diedond..you sound diplomatical, ill vote for you if you run for president :D

but i cant come there for the indepedence day, perhaps for the next one;)

Loki, sure...join the club :thumbsup: ..death to all who pronounce, spell or call our birthplaces differently than we do!! :D

Exception...so, you're saying that you are not dutch, eh? :) ...how to call you guys, nederlandish people?

I been in Holla..Nederland once, went there with a bicycle (on my way from sweden to marseille)..and that was the only nation where it was seen as normal to make such trips with bicycles lol

loki74
08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Loki, sure...join the club :thumbsup: ..death to all who pronounce, spell or call our birthplaces differently than we do!! :D

hahaha! well to be absolutely honest, I wasn't actually born here, but I've lived here since I was an infant... only have a few scattered memories of being back out east.

What about the Germany? Shouldn't that be Deutschland? Or Japan? I think they call it Nihon...

Steamthrower
08-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Having been in both Nederland and Deutschland, and also in Suisse and the République française, and speaking English, German, and Latin, I'll have to comment here and say that most Americans have such a denigrating view of Europeans. They really do think of Germans as running around in lederhosen and yelling Heil Hitler. They do think of Swedish people as always saying "Bork bork bork". I can understand why Europeans get so fed up with Americans. But believe me, we're not all like that.

Andyjaggy
08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
I cooked the most amazing bolognese tonight! I even put zucchinis or whatever they're called in it!

I sent a girl to the hospital for 4 hours after cooking her chinese food..... Turns out she was alergic to oyster sauce. Theres a couple more topics for ya :D

Exception
08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I sent a girl to the hospital for 4 hours after cooking her chinese food..... Turns out she was alergic to oyster sauce. Theres a couple more topics for ya :D

Was that before or after signing the prenup and proceeding with consuming the marriage?

(add 2 of those)

Oh yeah, the English language call us Dutch people, and thus of course I am, fully, Dutch... but it just sounds weird.
I'm with ya Diedond, but you know, it doesn't really matter what anyone calls me or my country, they won't change what it is to me, so there's no real reason to get upset. :)

Here's to Kosova, Suomi, Österreich, Italia, Espana and Navaduh!

(I'm angry at Navaduh because during my roadtrip I posted the thread about a garage there messed up my car. Elko, Navaduh, to be exact.)

bluerider
08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
hahaha! well to be absolutely honest, I wasn't actually born here, but I've lived here since I was an infant... only have a few scattered memories of being back out east.

What about the Germany? Shouldn't that be Deutschland? Or Japan? I think they call it Nihon...

Germany is interesting because the English word for Deutschland might imply it was named after Germanicus, a great Roman General, Daddy of the very naughty Caligular. In fact it was named after a tribe in the southern regions of Germany ( Deutschland) during the Roman Empire called the Alemmani so we could argue the correct name is Alemmani ..........?

But I much prefer the french word Allemagne, but Dobermann would be cool, i have one of those dogs and its a German breed and I think its such a beautiful dog.

I also think Japan should be refered to as " Hello Kitty", my daughter would love that.

loki74
08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
ah, so that's why it's "Aleman" in spanish... and I think that there's a bit more to Japan that Hello Kitty... (-_- ;) lol

mrpapabeis
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
OK i'll bite. Greece, Greeks? Not really, Hellas, Hellenes. Hang on I'll be right back Homeland security is at my door.

GP

DiedonD
08-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Germany is interesting because the English word for Deutschland might imply it was named after Germanicus, a great Roman General, Daddy of the very naughty Caligular. In fact it was named after a tribe in the southern regions of Germany ( Deutschland) during the Roman Empire called the Alemmani so we could argue the correct name is Alemmani ..........?

But I much prefer the french word Allemagne, but Dobermann would be cool, i have one of those dogs and its a German breed and I think its such a beautiful dog.

I also think Japan should be refered to as " Hello Kitty", my daughter would love that.

Oh so thats where Alamanlar comes from!! How interesting this all is. Turks and Turkish speaking Albanians here, when addressing Deutchland and Deutch people they say, Almanya and Alamanlar. I just thought it was just another nick some other country has labeled another country, but it seems it has some kinda historical root.

Anyway, Exception, Im in noway uppset buddy. I dont get uppset that easily. Were just talking here, and some of us perhaps try to invoke change, into calling countries exactly what they are, appart from what others have labeled them.

I wonder... Who gives the right to someone to label another country, however that one sees fit?! ID LIKE TO MEET HIM! :devil: :devil: :devil: :D

Annndaa.... Navaduh?! Where is that? Who are they?

*Pete*
08-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Norway, Norge comes from "the northern way"..from the viking times.

there never was a nation called as such, it was many different smaller kingdoms in the "northern way" area.

Sweden, Sverige..before it was called "Svea rike", meaning "Svea kingdom"..svea being a group among many others in sweden, who later got the upper hand in internal conflicts.

finland, Suomi..is called finland becouse the swedes called us Finns, and later our nation as Fin-land..land of the finns.

i blame the swedish for that...cant forgive :devil:

But the funniest thing of all..is USA.

how many of you knew..that after the indepedence war against England, the Americans voted for the future main language in the new nation...as English had gotten a bad reputation during the war..it won with only ONE vote more, than German, and became the main language for the nation.

would it have been german..the "US" in USA would be the german equivalent of "United States" :D

and thats if one vote would have been different..one person more, voting for german.:thumbsup:

...in Finnish/Suomi, we call Germany for "Saksa", Sweden for "Ruotsi" and Russia for "Venäjä".

all those names for those nations, originate from a time before any of them became nations as we know them today.

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 03:56 AM
In fact it was named after a tribe in the southern regions of Germany ( Deutschland) during the Roman Empire called the Alemmani so we could argue the correct name is Alemmani ..........?

Well, the tribe still exists.
Another nice tidbit would be the Anglo-Saxons which are in fact northern German tribes that were first called to the UK to help defend against the Pikes, and then just stayed.
Yup, basically just another Saxon tribe (i.e. Wessex comes from West-Saxony, Oxford would be another name with german roots).

...which technically makes all Anglo-Saxons german (which is why the language has a few common roots).

Cheers,
Mike

DiedonD
08-21-2007, 05:25 AM
And how did the word for Nemacka, thats NEM-ATCH-KA derive for Deutchland?! Anyone knows? Cause thats the way people with slavic origin calls Deutchland.

Actually there seem to be alota names for Deutchland! I wonder why is that? Heres to name a few: Germany, Almanya, Nemacka, Saks... To name a few

Pete... Unlike you Im doing my best to show the world how we really are called, so as that this bad name wont be stuck with us. We are a young country, free at last. But youve been Finland for more than 27 years now. You have alot more work to do. And perhaps youll forgive Sweds after It becomes Suomi again.

I think some people think why all the fuzz. Why bother?! The answer is my fellow LWers, that its all about communication. A man who you know walks by and his name is Andrew, and you call him John, he wont turn back to see who is calling him would he.

So its not only bad that people call you what you want, but you get imposed to respond to that name aswell.

So its bad addressing, and any other image that its different from the one you know yourself to be as, and would like to show the world as, is different, and further more naming may be even insultive, as you may all know.

So its multi level of small things, if it was a big thing it wouldnt have happened by now neither.

Iain
08-21-2007, 05:25 AM
to the UK to help defend against the Pikes,

Re they related to the Picts?

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Lol... sorry... of course the Picts... 8~

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 05:29 AM
And how did the word for Nemacka, thats NEM-ATCH-KA derive for Deutchland?!
Nemsky in Bulgarian... I have no idea where it comes from though.

Cheers,
Mike

bluerider
08-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, the tribe still exists.
Another nice tidbit would be the Anglo-Saxons which are in fact northern German tribes that were first called to the UK to help defend against the Pikes, and then just stayed.
Yup, basically just another Saxon tribe (i.e. Wessex comes from West-Saxony, Oxford would be another name with german roots).

...which technically makes all Anglo-Saxons german (which is why the language has a few common roots).

Cheers,
Mike

Lol...............the Saxon tribes where invited as opposed to "gate crashing".

Yeah the German effect of language cancelled out the chance of sharing a closer root of Latin to England's nieghbours. I think English has a major percentage of Germanic descent ( because of the Saxons) and the rest Norman French. The German, I am including the Danish influenance as any of the Skandinavien languages are off shoots from a Germanic family.

Lightwolf, just noticed you live in Stuttgard, very nice city, very Green. I visited the Staat Gallery there and become infatuated with the work of Otto Dix. His work was on tour around Germany and I had the joy of discovering it for the first time. :)

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Lol...............the Saxon tribes where invited as opposed to "gate crashing".
Initially yes... until they had thousands of settlers follow them.

Another tidbit: Welsh is old German for "foreign" - it was the place where the "foreigners" (in this case the original celtic population) retreated to.

Sometimes TV can broaded your perspective ;)

Lightwolf, just noticed you live in Stuttgard, very nice city, very Green. I visited the Staat Gallery there and become infatuated with the work of Otto Dix.
Oh, suprisingly green, which isn't bad considering the fact that the local hop-hop scene calls the town "Benztown" (due to the Daimler HQ here).
(Neue there is an old one as well) Staatsgalerie - always worth a visit. Tidbit #2: architecture by Sir Norman Foster.

Cheers,
Mike

cagey5
08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Staatsgalerie - always worth a visit. Tidbit #2: architecture by Sir Norman Foster.

Cheers,
Mike

Are you sure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staatsgalerie_Stuttgart

Lightwolf
08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staatsgalerie_Stuttgart
Now I'm not and I'll go hide in a corner now until I had some sleep, which I need... :cursin: :sleeping: :o

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Tidbit #2: architecture by Sir Norman Foster.
Oh god :grumpy:

bluerider
08-21-2007, 09:29 AM

No...they probably used pikes to make holes for dikes. Stuff for water? :D

Exception
08-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Now I'm not and I'll go hide in a corner now until I had some sleep, which I need... :cursin: :sleeping: :o

Cheers,
Mike

Ooh our only really interesting postmodernist Jimmy Stirling here got shafted into being mistaken for that generalist Norman Foster.

Jim would piss over you while you are sleeping... as he in fact has done with a shop window behind which half of the important architecture menagerie of the 70's was held up. Colorful guy that.

Lightwolf
08-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Ooh our only really interesting postmodernist Jimmy Stirling here got shafted into being mistaken for that generalist Norman Foster.
To be quite honest... I probably wouldn't even notive the difference if I was awake... which is a shame considering that we have quite an active architectural scene here.

Cheers,
Mike

Exception
08-22-2007, 08:09 AM
To be quite honest... I probably wouldn't even notive the difference if I was awake... which is a shame considering that we have quite an active architectural scene here.

Cheers,
Mike

Well I do have to say you'd need som more coffee, my dear friend :)

I don't think Foster has used a bright color in his life, he probably even buys grey toys for his children... let alone references to classical architecture, ironic historical stamenets, weird fallic sexual references or insane formal typology hybrids that takes scholars years to figure out...
Stirling however...
They are totally and utterly different. Here's two examples from Berlin. Which one is which, you think ;)

http://static.flickr.com/26/65024140_4b704e222f_m.jpg

http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/reichstag/reichstaggalinsky.jpg

But I'll let you get back to your coffee now.

DiedonD
11-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Right, its been a rollercoaster all around these days. But its still slowly and surely getting towards independence.

I already have people who are interested to get here, some mayby's and some "Impossible to be there under these conditions". (Dont worry, things will change for next year maybe :thumbsup: )

Anyone else interested, you should contact me on my e-mails or on Skype, with the same name as at Newtek.

The soulshaking feast is approaching! I can feel it bubling up!