PDA

View Full Version : Combine UV's? Is it possible?

IMI
08-16-2007, 09:00 AM
I have a major problem.
I have a fairly complex model which is a .lwo and was supposed to stay a .lwo, but *suddenly* needs to be a .obj.
The problem is, it's fully UV mapped as a .lwo, in this case, with 3 different UV maps covering the 3 main "sections" of the model, as I saw it.
This is no good for .obj, and I'm wondering if it's possible to combine these 3 maps into 1? I've never tried it before, and I thought maybe I could export it as .obj and I'd get a layered map which I could then just move the parts around in the map. No go - it only exports the first map in the list in the vertex panel. I expected something like that, but had to try.
Anyway, is there anything I can do short of remapping the whole thing? I'm really not into the idea of spending the next 12 or so hours making a new map. (especially since I already did my part *grumble-grumble*)
Thanks. :)

nemac4
08-16-2007, 09:05 AM
You can combine the maps by using "Copy Vertex Map". Just copy to the base UV map from each of the other maps.

IMI
08-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Thank you. I'm going to try that. :)

IMI
08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I think I'm misunderstanding something here. In the vertex map panel (as well as in Map tab), I can select Copy Vertex Map, but that's all it seems to do - it creates a copy of the selected map with a 1 appended to the name. There seems to be no "Paste Vertex Map" that I can find.
Unrealistic as it sounds, I was hoping to be able to paste one set of UV data on top of another set, and then just move them around accordingly into a cohesive single map. I'd like to think I understand UV maps pretty well, but I'm thinking that this sounds both feasible and ridiculous at the same time.
Well, I already started remapping this with one map. Thank God for the "Make UV Edit" plugin, which makes it so much simpler - but for future reference I'm still wondering how to go about this and what part I'm not getting. :)

serge
08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
IMI, this old thread might help you:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42309

IMI
08-16-2007, 11:41 AM
IMI, this old thread might help you:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42309

serge,

And does it ever!
Eureka! Now I know how Edison must have felt when he discovered Tesla! :D
Thanks! :)

serge
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Okay, great! :)

Sensei
08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Couple months ago I made video tutorial how to merge 2 or more vertex maps..
http://www.sharecg.com/v/2786/video-tutorial/LightWave-UV-mapping-#2
It's even listed as one of the first tutorials on SpinQuad and CGTalk..

IMI
08-17-2007, 04:05 AM
Very cool, Sensei, thanks. :)

IMI
08-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Well, damn.
I did the above technique and all certainly *seemed* to be working out correctly.
I did the "Copy Vertex Map" thing and gave it the same name as the previous existing map, and it appeared in the map. I was then able to select the parts and move them around so nothing was overlapping.
Saving it as a .lwo saved this newly mapped object, but when I exported it as OBJ and reloaded it... It has the typical "OBJ_UVTexture" as the UV map...BUT, the pasted surfaces are just gone. Still on the model, yes, but not in the map, and totally Un-UV'd.
Probably I'm not explaining this well, but I have to get at finishing this thing. I'll post some screen shots later when I get a chance, or maybe a quick vid...
I'm wondering if this is a 9.2 bug or something? I could use LW 7 or 8 if I had to.
It makes no sense. For all intents and purposes, that new UV map should stay with the model when exported as OBJ. It stays with a new .LWO, but the OBJ loses it somewhere. I've never seen anything like this happen before.

titane357
08-17-2007, 04:39 AM
you can try this:

- select all vertex you want to transfert Uvmap (easy in UV view)
- unweld points
- run Yoko_UVtransfert
- choose maps
- merge points.

:D

IMI
08-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Thank you very much. I'll try that when I get a chance to mess with this more. :)

DarkLight
08-17-2007, 05:51 AM
If i remember correctly you need to have a texture assigned to the surface for lightwave to export the UV map with the obj file.

erikals
08-17-2007, 10:47 AM
If i remember correctly you need to have a texture assigned to the surface for lightwave to export the UV map with the obj file.

yup, that's right

IMI
08-17-2007, 02:52 PM

yup, that's right

Uh...hmmm. Yes. Yes, I knew that, really I did. :D
Amazing, just amazing. All that time, just going insane trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, and all it was was that I forgot to assign the [email protected] UV texture to the part in the Surface Editor. And I deal with OBJ files and UV maps half the [email protected] time!
Thanks everyone for all the help. :)
I'm going to go hang my head in shame somewhere now....