PDA

View Full Version : Auto-creation of weightmaps?

Cageman
08-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi.

I was thinking about something that could speed up the process of weighting objects. If you add a bunch of bones to an object you can controll the deformations by adding holderbones and so on. I have found myself having a pretty decent deformation using this technique, but to get it where it is supposed to, I need to create weightmaps for all these bones. What if I could tell LightWave to create weightmaps for each bone based on their influnce they have on this unweighted object?

Anyone having any ideas? Is it even possible?

Maybe this is more suited in the Feature Request forum?

Sensei
08-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Anyone having any ideas? Is it even possible?

IMHO it's possible from programming point of view.. LW does it internally anyway..

SplineGod
08-16-2007, 01:04 AM
You can use DStorms load bones plugin to bring bones into modeler as skelegons then use Vertex paint to autocreate WMs for each skelegon.

Cageman
08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
LOL

I just found out about the Vertex Paint tool that does this! And, yes, I have DStorms Load Bones plugin. Pretty nifty! :)

EDIT: Thanks alot for your answers, btw!

SplineGod
08-16-2007, 01:34 AM
No problem :) I used to use this method awhile ago but stopped since. Too many weight maps that become a real pain to edit precisely and just a real pain in general and that many weight maps tend to slow things down further in layout. But it is there and you can create falloffs similar to the standard bone falloffs.

Cageman
08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Hehe.. well... since this is going to be transfered elsewhere I need the weights. If it would have stayed in LW I wouldn't bother to use weights for this particular case.

SplineGod
08-16-2007, 12:19 PM
I see. IF you use that function youll have to do some cleanup on the resulting WMs

Cageman
08-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Ok, well, it would be alot worse to have to paint all weights by hand without any sort of guidence that an autoweight gives. :)