PDA

View Full Version : Spamers?

mav3rick
08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Newtek can you please get some1 to deal with this spam boats on forum.
Put some kind of question in registration form to avoid this annoy bots torture. Not to tell i think they were able to suck data of forum users web pages and emails so they continue spamming us also. Even i started get spam mails on my private email regularly now.

Jim_C
08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
reported

Jim_C
08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
i think they were able to suck data of forum users web pages and emails .

Being serious tho. bots have always been able to scan thru forum posts and mine for email and web addresses. Even if they are not members of that forum.

That's why you see a lot of people give their email addy as jim (at) blabla (dot) com.

Bytehawk
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
i have seen that happen too.

the bots attack the members list page and somehow get the email addy's even though they aren't listed there.

another kind of spam we don't notice is exactly that : the members page
some bots just register and link to a spam site from there (homepage entry)

brian.coates
08-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I have to admit that pretty well EVERY spam email I get comes through the address listed here under my user account. Considering that most of them are sprucking OEM versions of graphics software I have to assume that the address was harvested from here.

Not good. :thumbsdow

Jim_C
08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Yea that does suck, but there are so many ways for spammers to get your addy, the only sure way to know if it comes from here would be to create a special one for this site and never give it out anywhere else.

Jim

brian.coates
08-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Hmmmm... good point.

I might try that.

mav3rick
08-16-2007, 03:24 AM
i dont know how we can get away from them than to lock this forum for members only but that would be way too much i think for newtek. on other hand i had no other choice than to remove all my emails and web page info in signature and profile details. wish i know at least one spammer base address i would blow it up and record it LIVE for all other ppl playing with spam crap out there.

mattclary
08-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Since Kurtis left, the reported spam doesn't get removed as quickly either. :(

Steamthrower
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
With a clever trackback program, we could automatically pinpoint the geographical position from which the spam comes and initiate a very small ICBM strike.

mattclary
08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
initiate a very small ICBM strike.

Why limit ourselves to "small"? :beerchug:

Bytehawk
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
NT has some black helicopters, I have seen them hanging around my house a few times...

Steamthrower
08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Very small - because all spammers live in compact apartment buildings (flats to our friends across the pond) and we would not like to obliterate Grandma next door.

By small I mean very small. Rods From God, little missiles.