PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave training classes

BeDrinkable
08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any good sources for training with Lightwave? I ask because I was approached by my boss and he said that he had the money to send me and some co-workers on some training. This money is apparently only capable of being used for training purposes, so I told them I would see what I can find out.

I guess I would also be able to convince them of other training courses that would be important to modelers/animators in general. At work, we don't really work with organic forms. We often work with vehicles and urban environments. So if you know anything in that direction it would be helpful. But please share anything you have. Thanks guys!

GandB
08-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Hello BD,

Though it's not an actual "classroom environment", I would suggest Dan Ablan's Signature Courseware for LW9. I have a bit of a thread running on it here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71463).

You can also check out more tutorial sets at www.kurvstudios.com. Hope this helps. :)

-Keith

BeDrinkable
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Dan's training material has been covered. Everyone in the office was given a copy of the signature courseware and the newest Inside Lightwave book. I think that his material is really great. I also brought up the idea of getting some more training DVDs and things like that but they seemed to want some sort of class like environment. Thanks though.

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
The REAL question is: what's the budget?

I happen to like Larry Schultz's material more than Dan's for the reason's of depth covered in the material. Nevertheless, if you have the funds to get someone to YOUR place, then look to do that. Having it in-house would go a lot farther than having to go some place.
At your place, they could teach, watch and consult all at the same time. One day, a night's stay, blah blah blah...

There are no trainings going on at the moment outside of the DAVE school and the like.

SplineGod
08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the comments Robert. :)
I would also recommend getting someone to come there. Youre on your own turf and its more comfortable. Ive done that quite a bit. I also tend to cover real production oriented techniques that Ive learned at various studios over the years as well as from freelancing. Theres a lot of basics you can pick up from books but much of that information isnt what I would consider production oriented. I cover things that I would prefer to learn - that are things youre not going to pick up from basic books or videos. :)
Drop me an email if youre interested.

BeDrinkable
08-15-2007, 05:57 AM
I like the idea of someone more experienced coming here and doing some training. The problem is that practically it is just not going to happen in our environment. I would like to explain more but I can't. Sorry.

Larry, I've been a lurker here for probly 6 months now and I know that you are really experienced and very helpful to nearly anyone. So I'm grateful for your offer, but like it says above. However, I might talk my boss into picking up some of the videos that you've done for people around the office.

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

UnCommonGrafx
08-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Don't rule out all the possibilities of having someone come to 'your' space.

Your space could be the local hotel where everyone brings a laptop, dongle and do it in a meeting room.

My only point is that, as it sounds like you are in a secured environment, taking it outside that environment but being able to go home at night is still your turf.

Regardless, getting training sounds like a fun opportunity. Let us know how it goes.

dablan
08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
BeDrinkable -
on site training is always a plus. Contact our office at [email protected] and we can give you more info. I've trained the people at Hallmark, CBS in Indianapolis, ABC New York, Fox Minneapolis, IGT, and many, many others, on site.

Best of luck

betsboy
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I highly recommend both Dan and Larry as instructors and have learned a tremendous amount from both of their excellent training materials. However, if your boss won't let you bring someone in, there is another option. I was able to find a company called Future Media Concepts with numerous locations ( http://www.fmctraining.com/ ). I attended an advanced Lightwave course in Orlando. The courses are 3 days and have only 4 students max. My class had 3. In my class the students were all on a similar 'wavelength' so the instructor was able to tailor the class to our requirements. I also brought along work projects to ask for solutions and suggestions, so I was able to learn with my own files. I did research the instructor and talk to him before taking the class. This is the only place I could find offering short courses. Hope this helps,

Betsy

IMI
08-16-2007, 01:28 PM
betsboy,
That is interesting. I live very near Orlando, and could get very much into such a thing, especially since I don't have the time for something like The Dave School. (I'm just a freelancer with a "regular" job outside of CG, and not much time left over)
Thanks. Very cool - I'm glad I read this thread. :)

SplineGod
08-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks Betsy :)
Ive done alot of training over the years myself for places like JPL, Navy, Disney, Game companies and so forth. I believe we met at one such event in San Diego.