PDA

View Full Version : Rotation handles

DS613
08-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I think I hit some hot key I didnt mean to hit, can someone help me with this, when I rotate using the blue or red handles they end op on the sampe plane I have attached a small screen shot, is there some setting or somthing I didnt to make Lightwave work like this?

Red_Oddity
08-15-2007, 03:46 AM
This is normal in a Euler rotational system, it's called a Gimbal lock ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock).

You can somewhat prevent this by switching to a different coordinate system (though animating becomes difficult on anything other than parent), you can do this via the shortcuts or via the menu (i believe the default is shift-F5 : World, shift-F6 : Parent, shift-F7 : Local)

It can also be prevented by working in a Quaternion rotational system.

Another way to sometimes prevent this is by having a system whereby you can resort the rotational order (which LW doesn't support, but all other programs do i believe)

evenflcw
08-15-2007, 05:33 AM
You could also try to orient the item differently (in relation to it's parent) to start with (manually or by recording pivot rotation; the first option is better).

Another option is to keep several items parented ontop of eachother, each used only for one type of rotation.

Red_Oddity
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Exactly, you can create your own rotation order by using an extra NULL as parent.

DS613
08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
This is normal in a Euler rotational system, it's called a Gimbal lock ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock).

You can somewhat prevent this by switching to a different coordinate system (though animating becomes difficult on anything other than parent), you can do this via the shortcuts or via the menu (i believe the default is shift-F5 : World, shift-F6 : Parent, shift-F7 : Local)

It can also be prevented by working in a Quaternion rotational system.

Another way to sometimes prevent this is by having a system whereby you can resort the rotational order (which LW doesn't support, but all other programs do i believe)

Thanks, I think I must have hit shift Fsomething to change the defalut. The picture is a brand new scene and what you see is the camera rotation, it isnt parented to anything. do you know if there is a way to see what Rotation your scene is set up in ( world, parent, local,)?

Surrealist.
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
You can open the Edit Menu Layout and place the plugins directly as buttons under the main group so that they will be visible all the time and the current mode will be highlighted. In my case, I simply deleted the root button that normally has a drop down and the buttons are now permanently exposed. I do a similar thing in modeler to expose the action center modes so I always know at a glance which one I am in.

DS613
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Aswome Thank you ver much that works perfectly!

evenflcw
08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I think I must have hit shift Fsomething to change the defalut. The picture is a brand new scene and what you see is the camera rotation, it isnt parented to anything. do you know if there is a way to see what Rotation your scene is set up in ( world, parent, local,)?

Just thought I'd clarify that the world and local coordinate modes are really just for manipulation. Any transformation you do in those modes is translated into parent coordinates. All animation is still stored in parent coordinates! This is something you mustn't forget, else you will inevitably get confused and surprised later on.