PDA

View Full Version : sortof OT: DVD video

hrgiger
08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Have a question about video format. I would like to place some of my training/animation videos and convert them so they'll play in a regular DVD player. I'm traveling a lot these days for work and I would like to be able to take them with me and unfortunately, I don't have a laptop to play them in their Quicktime format.
I've had success by using my Nero software to create video discs which work fine in the DVD player, but unforutnately, it only works on CD-R's so space is too limited. How can I put quicktime or even windows media video onto a DVD-R and have them play in a DVD player? Do I need different burning software?

Jim_C
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
The newest Nero 7 series will do DVD conversion/authoring with a program calle Recode .

Not sure which version you have.

But if you are taking suggestions for new software, I highly recommend
Tmpgenc DVD Author 3 with Divx Encoding. (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html)

It is an actual 1 stop program for DVD creation.

You can import just about any video file, wmv, mov, avi, divx, xvid etc, mix and match formats all you want.
Do basic editing on the files. Color correction etc.
Then set up menus,(it has areally nice auto menu option) and chapters if you like, or just let it autoplay.

The program will do all the conversion to vob files for you and burn the DVD.

The divx authoring portion allows you to instead of creating a DVD, create a single divx file that works just like an authored DVD with chapters, menus etc.

Jim

hrgiger
08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks Jim, I will look into that.

starbase1
08-15-2007, 04:37 AM
If you want something really lazy the low end uLead products are VERY easy to use.

Though having said that Premiere Elements does give notably better quality output, it's cheap, and a step on the ladder to the heavy duty pro tools if you ever take things further...

sadkkf
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
I've been using TMPEGEnc to encode and DVD Workshop for my menus and burning.

Since Ulead (now Corel) is discontinuing DVDWS, I'm looking at DVDLab to create the DVDs (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/) and using TMPEGEnc Xpress 4 to encode.

inquisitive
08-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I've been using TMPEGEnc to encode and DVD Workshop for my menus and burning.

Since Ulead (now Corel) is discontinuing DVDWS, I'm looking at DVDLab to create the DVDs (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/) and using TMPEGEnc Xpress 4 to encode.

hmm, any patches for the LE version we got with VT4? Perhaps its time to archive that (I dont recall)

sadkkf
08-16-2007, 07:28 AM
any patches for the LE version we got with VT4?

I doubt it. Ulead doesn't list the LE version on their site (only versions 1, 2 and Express) so I bet LE is a NewTek flavor of the software. Besides, the latest patch Ulead released was in 2004.

It's a shame. It was decent software slowly growing into maturity. I would have bet dollars to donuts version 3 would have been a very powerful tool. Now it's tough finding DVD creators without video editing. :rolleyes: