PDA

View Full Version : 64/32 bit LW Question

GraphXs
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know if the 32bit Lightwave w/plugins work good in a 64 bit Windows XP OS? I want to make the jump to 64bit, but I want to make sure I understand what works and what doesn't.

Also what is better "2" dual-core xeon processors or "1" Quad core xeon processor????

I will be getting a Dell Precisoin 690 soon and I want to know what I shoud do CPU wise.

Thanks for any help.

iconoclasty
08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
32bit LW works perfectly fine in XP64. So does the 64bit version by the way. I'm not totally sure if all plugins work flawlessly.
Not 100% on the proc question. You'll have 4 cores to work with either way so it might vary from processor to processor.

GraphXs
08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info, is their a list of plugins that do work for LW32 under a 64bit machine?

Thanks

IMI
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I could be dead wrong about this, but I think that all 32 bit Windows apps will work on a 64 bit machine, running XP 64. I think that that also means that the 32 bit version of LW will still work with all the plugins designed as 32 bit, in a 64 bit environment.
I think the problem with the plugins comes in when LW 64 is being used with 32 bit plugins.
Confusing, isn't it? :D
I hope someone comes along and gives a better answer than this, because I too am about to go 64.

Lightwolf
08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, any 32bit plugin should work under LW 32bit on windows 64bit ... unless it pulls some very dirty tricks on the hardware (and I can't think of a reason to do that).

Of course ours work, but they are developed and tested on a 64bit machine as well (as most developers that offer 64bit compiles probably do).

Cheers,
Mike

GraphXs
08-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Great, Thanks everyone.

Now about the CPU is "two" dual xeon core chips better or equal to "one" xeon quad chip? ANyone have an opinion to which I should buy. If a get a single quad core I can add another later.

Thanks

walfridson
08-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Would like to know this too

Also, memory. There is no need for splitting the memory like on the P4 for threads right? since its already quad..

Any tips on mainboard? What should I keep an eye out for? Want a fast render machine, nothing more.

Thalaxis
08-15-2007, 04:02 PM
You don't split memory for multithreading. That ended when Apple released OSX.

Or rather, the need for it ended when Apple released OSX.

Anyway... performance-wise, there won't be much of a difference between a dual-dualie and a single quad-core machine, assuming they're the same cores. The main difference will be that you can upgrade to 8 cores without removing the 2nd one if you get a single quad-core CPU on a two-socket motherboard.