PDA

View Full Version : Building a dual quadcore workstation - help!

JGary
08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
So, I'm getting ready to build a dual quadcore workstation and have a couple of questions.

First, with AMD about to release the Barcelona chips, is Intel going to release new quadcore Xeon chips as well? The motherboard I have picked out to use for my workstation is the Tyan Tempest i5000XT (S2696) and it supports the 5300 series Xeon processors. Is it about to be old news as a result of Intel and AMD releasing new processors? Actually, I've already ordered this motherboard and thought of this AFTER making my purchase (yes, brilliant...I know).

Second, any recommendations on a quality EATX case? I'm currently looking at the Antec P190+1200 Advanced Super Mid Tower ($389), but have to say that even though I have been impressed with Antec cases in the past, my latest one makes some pretty annoying rattles. I would love to find a case with the build quality of Dell's XPS workstations. Those things are built like tanks.

I assume most people running a workstation like this have a dual-boot 32/64 bit OS? If I want to stick with Windows XP, does Microsoft still sell Windows 64 bit?

Thanks for help and suggestions,

LW_Will
08-14-2007, 12:17 PM
JGary,

I'd wait at least 3 months to let all the dust settle... Intel prices are dropping, AMD has what they are calling "True Multi-core" 64bit chips...

You never loose money waiting.

iconoclasty
08-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I hear the Intels are suppose to drop like half price, unless some already have. I haven't been following that closely.

issaid
08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
"You never loose money waiting."

That is a very true statement, however, it depends on what and when you need. If you don't have a similar spec'd system it is always time to just get the parts and build. Intel has just had major price cuts, which is obviously really good. The next core architecture isn't due out til Q2 next year I believe. If you do go dual quad, you start to lose value past the E5345. If you go for the X5355, you will pay about $600 for about 10% performance boost. I am actually in the process of building one of these systems myself, just waiting on my memory.

Technically, anything you buy is obsolete within 6months with PCs, but this will render faster than anything. If you are going to be doing editing, you need to also focus on fast hard drives in a RAID 0(stripped) or a RAID 5, if you have the money and want redundancy and speed. My current single quad core is to the point where the drives don't keep up, but I don't do that much editing anymore.

I know one price drop has happened, not sure if there is another. You can still get XP 64bit OEM from places like NewEgg, it's around $140.

JGary
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I hear the Intels are suppose to drop like half price, unless some already have. I haven't been following that closely.

I read that Intel has stated they would cut the price of their Quadcore processors once Barcelona hits the market. They have already dropped quite a bit in price since first being released. At the very least, I will wait for AMD to release the Barcelona chips to take advantage of the Intel price cut.

Lito
08-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Well I just made a new quad core rig, but not based on Xeon chips. I bought the Antec P190 and it is a very nice case and pretty quiet considering everything installed. The biggest issue with the P190 is the big boy fan. It is really huge and can limit some of your options for 3rd party CPU coolers. There is no fan cage for it so you must also be careful of the wires. I bought a evga 8800gtx card and the PCIe power connectors come real close to the fan blades. The CPU cooler I wanted (Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme) was way too big to fit in the case unless I removed the big boy fan. So I went with an alternative the Enzotech Ultra120. It does not have a removable motherboard tray and that can be an issue. When installing the CPU cooler, I had to remove some of the fans so my hand could reach the screws. The best way would be to put the cooler on first then install the motherboard. Depending on the board you should be able to get all the screws in without the fan/heatsink blocking you. On another note the case is very heavy when compared to my older PC.

I am currently dual booting Vista64 and Unbuntu 64. You can still buy an XP64 OEM license from newegg if you want. I was originally planning on buying XP64 but decided against it in the end. I am pretty much dropping the 32bit OS now since so far every 32bit app I tried (even an old one like MS money 2000 deluxe) runs in vista64 so I don't think it is necessary unless you know you have an app or hardware that is incompatible with it.

I bought the Q6600 chip because of the recent price cut. It cost me less than $300 and was well worth it to finally upgrade my machine. I never considered the Xeon line so I am not sure about the prices.

theo
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Quad xeon 5300's dropped 200 bucks in one week at Newegg about two weeks ago. So, I reeled in a couple of those screamers.

JGary
08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
If you don't have a similar spec'd system it is always time to just get the parts and build.

Yep, that's where I am. I have three computers (two dual core AMD desktops and a core duo Intel laptop) and they're not providing enough rendering horsepower to get the job done, so it's time to build a workstation. I can't really wait, but I have infamous luck for buying computer components just a week or two before some big changes happen that make my purchases seem unwise. Just trying to see if something like that is about to happen in the next couple of weeks. AMD's Barcelona is SUPPOSED to hit the market this month (August), so hopefully that Intel cut will happen. I'm going to buy the processors last.

JGary
08-14-2007, 01:59 PM
The biggest issue with the P190 is the big boy fan. It is really huge and can limit some of your options for 3rd party CPU coolers.

Currently, my computers are only dual core machines and I haven't had the need for a CPU cooler. With all the fans that come with that case, is it really necessary to have the CPU cooler?

Liber777
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a dual quad-core motherboard with U320 SCSI onboard? I'd prefer something with dual-channel Ultra320 SCSI (to take advantage of my existing drive investment) and 3Gbps SATA connectors on board, and at least one legacy PCI slot for my VT card.

Thanks...!
Stivan

Lito
08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Currently, my computers are only dual core machines and I haven't had the need for a CPU cooler. With all the fans that come with that case, is it really necessary to have the CPU cooler?

It probably isn't necessary especially if you don't ever plan on overclocking the chips. Personally I bought it so the quad core would run cooler because you can get like a 5c-10c difference in temps over the stock cooler. From the posts I have read quad cores run very hot and the stock cooler is only OK.

With the cooler I got I still can hit 73c on the one of the cores at full load. I idle around 49c (and it is a cooler day today at 84F ambient in the room w/o the AC on).

According to the motherboard app though the cpu is running much cooler, it says 38c idle, but I hit about 60c at full load.. I trust the other app more because it measures each individual core.

flakester
08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Second, any recommendations on a quality EATX case?

The Silverstone Temjin is not a bad choice (in fact I've never heard a bad thing about any Silverstone case), heavy as you like - but solid and very quiet - and we run the same MoBo's (S2696) in these. Not disappointed at all.

flakester.

JGary
08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
The Silverstone Temjin is not a bad choice

Yes, looks like a nice case. It's going on my short list. Thanks!

theo
08-15-2007, 10:00 AM
The Coolermaster 830 is very sweet and comes with a 1k PSU.

Newegg has knocked almost 180 bucks off the actual price for a special they are running on this puppy. I have had lots of cases and this one seems to be one of the best I've owned so far.

byte_fx
08-15-2007, 10:52 AM
My preference is one of the U2-UFO cases from Mountain Mods.

http://www.mountainmods.com/

They're cube cases that are easily configurable, set up for dual power supplies, up to 18 hard drives (6 hd caoacity is standard), excellent build quality, provisions for all the cooling one could need, etc.

They even offer a Duality version that lets you mount two morher boards in the same case.

They're 'bare' cases - no power supply - but then most power supplies that ship with cases aren't all that great to begin with and most builders toss them out anyway.

They do take up a bit of space but the flip side is all the internal room for good air flow and conpenents.

I've been using these cases for several years.

byte_fx

iconoclasty
08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Those do look nice (and big) but pretty dang expensive.

JGary
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
They even offer a Duality version that lets you mount two morher boards in the same case.

The duality is pretty cool, too bad it doesn't support eatx motherboards.

byte_fx
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes they're big and not cheap.

But you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Strength is one benefit - I've stood on the frame while holding a weighted barbell (combined weight 370 lbs.) and had someone install the side panels. Everything lined up perfectly - same as it does w/o any weight on the frame.

Try that with other cases.

Granted that's a rather unusual test for a case but it's just another indication of the build quality.

Might also mention I've seen liquid cooling installed within the cases and it was a lot easier than trying to squeeze it all into a tower.

But with all the cooling fan location options and room for open air flow liquid cooling is only needed in the most extreme overclocking situations. And I do mean extreme. Cpu's, ram, multiple SLI cards all oc'd to the max. Sometimes involving physical mods to ckt boards to bypass factory oc limits.

And they're super great for Toaster systems.

byte_fx

JGary
08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Here's a couple of cases I ran across while researching:

Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 ($200)
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=17&id=2584

Coolermaster CM Stacker 830 EVO ($249)
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=17&id=14

Based on the of reviews I read, I would probably get the cosmos 1000, but it's not scheduled to be released here in the states until mid September and I don't think I can wait that long.

The CM Stacker 830 EVO looks like a great case and is currently being bundled with a Coolermaster Real Power Pro 1000W PSU for $400.

JGary
08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
So, a couple of people here stated they have built workstations using the Tyan Tempest i5000xt (s2696) motherboard. Any recommendations on memory that works well with this board?

theo
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
So, a couple of people here stated they have built workstations using the Tyan Tempest i5000xt (s2696) motherboard. Any recommendations on memory that works well with this board?

I'm using what the Tyan website recommends. ;)

JGary
08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm using what the Tyan website recommends. ;)

I'm having trouble finding what the website recommends. Places like Newegg don't carry what's on the recommended list. I did find some directly on the Kingston site, but it seems a bit overpriced.

JGary
08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok, have all my workstation parts in, started building and have already ran into my first problem. I'm using the Coolermaster 830 case and a Tyan Tempest MB and cannot figure out how to install the Heatsink. The retention springs are installed on the motherboard but there are no standoff locations on the motherboard for the Fan screws. On the motherboard tray, there are holes for the left side that match the Heatsink, but it's just a big open space on the right side (see image). In the past, I have only built AMD based machines, so the way these heatsinks attach is new to me. I scoured the Intel, Coolermaster, and Tyan websites, but couldn't really find anything about this. Anyone using this case/motherboard combination who can shed some light on how to get these fans attached?

issaid
08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
My case came with an additional tray to screw into the motherboard tray that gave me proper screw holes. Do you not have any other trays? I had the Antec Titan650 Case.

JGary
08-22-2007, 09:33 PM
My case came with an additional tray to screw into the motherboard tray that gave me proper screw holes. Do you not have any other trays? I had the Antec Titan650 Case.

No additional tray included. I did come up with a hacked solution by using standoffs to secure the screws (see image). Still, seems the intention is to have the heatsink anchored to the case, which is not happening with my current fix.

I did email Coolermaster tech support about this, so I will see what they have to say.

theo
08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
No additional tray included. I did come up with a hacked solution by using standoffs to secure the screws (see image). Still, seems the intention is to have the heatsink anchored to the case, which is not happening with my current fix.

I did email Coolermaster tech support about this, so I will see what they have to say.

I am using the CM 830 as well and mine includes a rather solidly built mainboard tray that the CPU heatsink and mobo attaches to, all on standoffs.

JGary
08-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I am using the CM 830 as well and mine includes a rather solidly built mainboard tray that the CPU heatsink and mobo attaches to, all on standoffs.

So, your 830 mainboard tray looks different than the one in the photos I posted?

JGary
08-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, looks like I forgot to attach the image of my heatsinks attached with standoffs. Another try...

theo
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
So, your 830 mainboard tray looks different than the one in the photos I posted?

Totally different.

theo
08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, looks like I forgot to attach the image of my heatsinks attached with standoffs. Another try...

Man, it almost looks as if your board is rotated the wrong way. Not implying you have your board rotated incorrectly or anything but did your mainboard tray come with an E-ATX layout?

JGary
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Man, it almost looks as if your board is rotated the wrong way. Not implying you have your board rotated incorrectly or anything but did your mainboard tray come with an E-ATX layout?

Nothing in the manual that specifically shows a E-ATX layout. Here's a image of the whole tray with motherboard on it. Really only one way to orient it, but yes, I agree it looks pretty wacked out from the back view especially with the large cutout right where the heatsink should fasten.

This is the 830 SE which comes with the 1000w PSU. There obviously must be some varying 830 models. I know there's the EVO, but thought that just had additional cooling.

JGary
08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Yep, here's a motherboard tray shot from a website review of the CS 830. My tray looks a lot different.
WTF?!

zapper1998
08-23-2007, 01:07 AM
So I am looking at building a Dual Quad Myself...

The Intel chips or the Amd chips, which one is better as far as bang
for the buck...??

Thanks for the info so far, just need a little help on picking which cpu's
to go with.

I like those Big Cases, I am looking at getting one of those first..wow big..

theo
08-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Nothing in the manual that specifically shows a E-ATX layout. Here's a image of the whole tray with motherboard on it. Really only one way to orient it, but yes, I agree it looks pretty wacked out from the back view especially with the large cutout right where the heatsink should fasten.

This is the 830 SE which comes with the 1000w PSU. There obviously must be some varying 830 models. I know there's the EVO, but thought that just had additional cooling.

There's something wrong here. My mainboard tray came with an E-ATX diagram and it matches the tray shown in the reviewer photo you submitted.

I wonder if the wrong tray was inserted into your case? This is my gut feeling.

JGary
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
There's something wrong here. My mainboard tray came with an E-ATX diagram and it matches the tray shown in the reviewer photo you submitted.

I wonder if the wrong tray was inserted into your case? This is my gut feeling.

No, I think this in now the tray that comes with the 830SE (the new improved version of the 830). After digging through the manual some more, I noticed you can install a crossflow fan (made by Coolermaster) onto either the Fan tray OR the MB tray. That's why the cutout is there, for the fan. (see image)

In a attempt to sell some more crossflow fans, It looks like Coolermaster added the crossflow fan MB mounting option, but hosed the ability to fasten the dual Xeon processors. Of course, there's no mention on their website that the 830 SE will no longer support dual Xeons. Still waiting to see what Coolermaster has to say. Maybe I can get Newegg to take this case back.

So, word of warning, I would perhaps consider a different case if your considering the 830SE for Dual Xeons.

JGary
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Forgot to attach the image again!

theo
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Forgot to attach the image again!

Hmmm... Actually, it appears, from the text on my paper manual headers, that I have the 830/831 model. I have no mention of the 830 "SE" in my manual or anywhere else.

Looks like I lucked out with my particular model number.

byte_fx
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
You'll probably find a lot of info at

http://www.xtremesystems.com ...

if that addy doesn't work try

http://www.xtremesystems.net

One's for the front page and the other's for the forum - that's the one you want.

At least that's the way it was the last time I was there a few months ago.

The guys and gals there are into xtreme systems just like the addy says.

LN2 cooling is fairly common around there but there are also systems that use phase change, liquid, and plain old air.

Worth a look for all sorts of general system building info as well.

byte_fx

JGary
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
You'll probably find a lot of info at

http://www.xtremesystems.com ...

Thanks for the link!

Well, the plot thickens concerning my motherboard tray. I called Coolermaster about the problem and come to find out, the 830SE is not supposed to hit the market until next month sometime. So, looks like Newegg sent me the wrong case! Coolermaster is going to send me the proper tray free of charge even though Newegg messed up. They get a big thumbs up for that.

JGary
08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I've never had a case with this many fan options! Usually just have one in the front blowing in and one in the back blowing out. For a case like the Coolermaster 830, what direction do you point the side and top fans? I was thinking the top fan should be blowing out and the side ones blowing in, but with 4 fans on the side and only 1 on top, seems like the intake would be unbalanced compared to exahaust. Did some searching on the web about this, but found little, and what I did find was unresolved debate.

theo
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I've never had a case with this many fan options! Usually just have one in the front blowing in and one in the back blowing out. For a case like the Coolermaster 830, what direction do you point the side and top fans? I was thinking the top fan should be blowing out and the side ones blowing in, but with 4 fans on the side and only 1 on top, seems like the intake would be unbalanced compared to exahaust. Did some searching on the web about this, but found little, and what I did find was unresolved debate.

Top fan always flows out, never in.

Side fans are optional in terms of flow. I have the two left fans on the fan wall (upper and lower towards the back of the case) pulling air out while the right ones (upper and lower towards the front of the case) push air in. I have two Dynatron coolers smashing air out of the cpus toward the back outflow fan but felt it necessary to assist the back fan with the two back lefties.

ted
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
JGary, I wish you luck. I studied, researched and agonized for a couple months before getting mine.
You can read the great info I got from some of the great minds here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69123&highlight=System

I'm thrilled with the amazing performance with VT and SpeedEDIT. But I'm still waiting for Vista 64 to be fully supported, not just by NewTek either before I can take full advantage of my system.
I've dual booted to Windows XP to use it at this time! :(
But I love it.

mattclary
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Never mind....

JGary
08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Top fan always flows out, never in.

You would think so, but I found forum threads debating this. :stumped: I would think since heat rises, you would want it blowing out.

JGary
08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
JGary, I wish you luck. I studied, researched and agonized for a couple months before getting mine.
You can read the great info I got from some of the great minds here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69123&highlight=System

I'm thrilled with the amazing performance with VT and SpeedEDIT. But I'm still waiting for Vista 64 to be fully supported, not just by NewTek either before I can take full advantage of my system.
I've dual booted to Windows XP to use it at this time! :(
But I love it.

Yes, definitely some stress researching for this computer. I actually looked at your thread when getting started and it helped me decide to go with the Tyan board with 16x PCI-E support. I went with Vista Ultimate for the OS and will try a dual boot 32/64 bit setup. Crossing my fingers...

Here's my laundry list of parts if anyone is interested. Ended up right at $4,000.

1x Tyan Tempest i5000XT (S2696) Workstation Board ($406.99)

1x CASE CoolerMaster 830 SE (should have been the RC) with 1000watt Power Supply - (Price $399.99)

2x CPU INTEL|XEON E5345 2.33G 771 8M R - (Price=$999.98)

3x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module (item total: $981.75)

1x DVD BURN LITE-ON|LH-20A1L-05 LS % - (Price=$36.99)

2x HD 150G|WD 10K 16M SATA WD Raptor 1500ADFD - (Price=$389.98)

1x Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Retail ($321.99)

1x EVGA 640P2N825AR e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card Retail ($399.99)

5x COOLER MASTER TLF-S12-EB Silent 22dB 120mm Neon LED Fan (Blue) ( $12.95 each)

GregMalick
08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
JGary,

I didn't see XP on your list.
How are you going to dual-boot without it? Does Vista come with XP?

Let us know if those 5-fans are really silent - or if together they sound like a jet.

Finally, how much heat does this baby pump into the room?
Does it raise the ambient room temperature (say) 10 degrees or more?
I only ask because of the circumstance of where I live (no wise cracks please).
I'd hate to work in 100F or have to lug the PC outside every time I used it.

Maybe I could use accordion dryer vent piping to redirect the airflow outside.

JGary
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
JGary,

I bought Vista Ultimate which has both 32 and 64 bit versions. Going to try a dual boot of both. No XP...unless Vista gives me trouble.

Let us know if those 5-fans are really silent - or if together they sound like a jet.

Yeah, I'm curious how loud/hot it will be as well. I'm still waiting on the correct motherboard tray before I can put it all together. The Coolermaster case has a lot of mesh paneling, so it doesn't look very sound proof. That's why I really wanted to get the Coolermaster Cosmo 1000. It looks to be designed with low noise in mind and even has sound deadening panels. Of course, the Cosmo came out 2 days after I bought the 830! Theo can probably answer your questions since it sounds like he has a very similar setup with all 7 fans installed.

Oh man, I'm going to be in Hawaii next week (Big Island)). Not working of course!

mattclary
08-30-2007, 06:59 AM
You would think so, but I found forum threads debating this. :stumped: I would think since heat rises, you would want it blowing out.

You can find forum threads that debate if the Earth is really round also, but I wouldn't put much stock in those either.

Heat flows up. Use it, don't fight it.

theo
08-30-2007, 07:26 AM
JGary,

I'd hate to work in 100F or have to lug the PC outside every time I used it.
[/SIZE][/I]

Hey Greg- I am not the appropriate person to answer your question about fans and the noise they generate. I am one of these rare weirdos who absolutely does not care about PC noise. I have used many workstations some more quiet than others but even the loudest ones just never seem to bother me.

I play my music very loud here in the office (when not dealing with clients or children) so noise is only of consequence when I am discussing business on the phone which makes, of course, the noise generated by a fan-laden workstation totally negligible.

The ambient heat will always be an issue and it is somewhat more so with the quad cores. Running the AC a degree cooler offsets this problem for me. If you are in a small room then it might not be a bad idea to pipe the heat outside the building with a metal pipe. The main problem with this is that you need an exhaust fan at the end of the pipe to PULL the heat out through the pipe which means you will need an exterior grade fan.

I don't think it is a good idea to just attach a pipe to the top exhaust fan since the fan will then be performing two tasks- pulling and then pushing air. Additionally, while the fan is pushing the air if the pipe is long enough the walls of the pipe will create friction totally negating the effectiveness of "piping" warm air away from the computer. UNLESS of course there is an exhaust fan at the end of the pipe.

byte_fx
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
For fans I always try get some San Ace from Sanyo Denki.

http://www.sanyodenki.co.jp/techrepo/10e/g/index.htm

These babies are both quiet and high volume - one of the best case fans I've found.

Sometimes hard to find depending on your location but you can start looking here:

http://www.aedwis.com/sanyodenki.html

If they don't have it in stock they're pretty good about getting some in fast.

Air flow - bottom to top in general. But there's more involved for optimal cooling. Things like bundling and carefully routing cables so they don't impede air flow. And use round cables instead of flat ribbon cables - the flat ribbons are big time air flow blockers. Maybe adding some internal baffling made from sheets of plastic picked up at a hobby store will help.

One tool I've found handy is an Oregon Scientific NAW881EXT Thermo Clock or similar. Has an internal and remote (up to 12') sensor for temps. The cable is thin so you can place the sensor in a case then close it up w/o cutting the leads if you're careful. There's a little wire clip you'll need to either remove or tape up so it won't short anything out. They cost about $10 each online. Depending on the system I'll have msybe four or five sensors placed thru out the case while setting up airflow. That way you can get an overall idea of where the hot spots w/o having to constantlt move one around.

Get a good manual fan speed controller to help balance the air flow and cooling. Too much air in one place can decrease cooling in other places by decreasing air flow.

And don't neglect cooling for the GPU and hard drives.

byte_fx

GregMalick
08-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks Theo,

No AC here... so I'm now actually considering setting the entire case outside if the room starts heating up. Then the cables just need to trail into the room. Maybe that will only be necessary when I'm doing heavy rendering.

Luckily the outside lanai door is only 2 feet from where I work.

mattclary
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks Theo,

No AC here...

Holy cr*p! Really? What is the temp?

mattclary
08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Stupid time limit!

Heat index here is usually in the triple digits.

GregMalick
08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
In the 15 years we've been in Hawaii, it's never been over 92.
It usually hangs around the 80's. In the winter it's only the 70's.
The coldest is in the low 50's at night in the winter.

The only issue about putting the PC outside is when it rains.
And geckos will probably get into the room.

I might just try setting it near the lanai screen door and getting a big fan to blow the air outside. That may be all that's needed.

My PC building will begin (I figure) in January (or earlier).
Alice's kitchen is finally finishing up and my dream machine is next.

I've learned a lot from reading all these threads, guys. Thanks.
And who knows what the latest & greatest will be in January.
Vista crap should be sorted out by then (I hope).

I can't wait to "not wait" for those renders! :D

JGary
08-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Finally got the motherboard tray in and assembled the computer. I'm getting ready to revisit a older scene and was anticipating using the new 8 core setup to blast through the rendering. Just made the realization that my scene has a lot of G2 use, and that plugin is not available as 64 bit! Looks like it's the first victim of the 64 bit OS.

And yes, the 8 core machine is generating some extra heat in the room along with quite a bit more noise. However, I think my fans are all going full tilt at the moment.