PDA

View Full Version : High detail rendering

tddbr00
08-14-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a flat object that I projected a photoshop image on through the surface/texture editor. But when i render it out, it has a uite a bit of shimmering in the lines in the photoshop image. I have cranked up the rendering to Classic, enhanced High with a DOF blur added and a motion blur set to 80%. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh I'm on Lightwave 8 if that helps any. :help:

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
If the image is a sharp one then you need to blur it. Too sharp of an edge in the image will result in what you speak of because the rendering engine has no 'space' to antialias betwixt the two extremes.
That is to say, if you have a black piece next to a white one then there is no in betweens. If you blur the same image, say a gaussian set at 2, then you will have a gradient, space between the black and the white, for the rendering engine to work with.

hth.

iconoclasty
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
A screenshot or two would help also.

toby
08-16-2007, 02:00 AM
The dof and motion blur will just make your problem worse, not better. Don't use them if you don't need them; keep motion blur at 50% unless you really have a need to change it. Don't be afraid of Enhanced Extreme, sometimes you need it - especially with fine lines. Turn off Adaptive sampling.

I don't like to do it, but blurring the image slightly or turning up the mip-mapping can also help.

If that doesn't do it, post an image?

toby
08-16-2007, 02:01 AM
The dof and motion blur will just make your problem worse, not better. Don't use them if you don't need them; keep motion blur at 50% unless you really have a need to change it. Don't be afraid of Enhanced Extreme, sometimes you need it - especially with fine lines. Turn off Adaptive sampling.

I don't like to do it, but blurring the image slightly or turning up the mip-mapping can also help.

If that doesn't do it, post an image?

toby
08-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Great.