PDA

View Full Version : Rigging wierdnesss

jat
08-14-2007, 06:46 AM
I am testing out the bones in my character so that I can pose it properly. I won't be animating it BUT after I reset the bones and then set their default pivot rotation(shift p) I find that some bits are stuck in place when I move bones. I've checked my weight maps and included all the geometry. I am missing something critical here because I can't figure this out. I've been checking parent child positions but still nothing. One very peculiar thing is that one arm deforms correctly, the other side does not. Any thoughts on this. TIA

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Firstly,
I wouldn't use weight maps without seeing what the mesh deforms like without them.
Secondly, I would go about applying weightmaps as needed: Arms (yes, both in one map), fingers, then legs. Or, a right and left map.
Lastly, look for all the tutes you can find on this subject. There's a plethora of conversations on this board on the subject. Three names that come to mind to pay attention to: Splinegod (Larry), T4D (Thomas) and Pooby (Paul?).
These guys have shared rigs, sold info on rigs or have shown new ways of rigging.

SplineGod
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
I agree with Roberts comment. LWs bones are already deformers and work fine much of the time with only a little assistance from a few extra hold bones. Once you really have a chance to test the rig using bones only then you can decide if you want to fix any unwanted deformations using hold bones or greatly simplified weight maps. Its a myth that you have to use weight maps when rigging. Theyre useful to have when needed but a real pain if not.

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Of COURSE you agree, Larry: you taught me this bit. ;)

SplineGod
08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Someones got to agree :)

jat
08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
here's a question for you experts...I just reopened my scene that was working previously and the bones are in place but the mesh is messed up..... what could possibly be affecting the object in this manner?

SplineGod
08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
All your bones must be assigned to some weight map. You may have some active bones not assigned. If you do try turning them off.
Also select all your bones and hit the r key to rest them again.

jat
08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
yup that did it...thanks